Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II....at last, it's announced!!

Many Thanks for that info, Stewart :) - Very much appreciated. I'll try not to lock a screaming Captain Sensible in the garden shed this time!

A similar comparison would be the Nikon 80-400 which launched last March at £2450 yet by November it was available for £1900 and it's hovered around that price since give or take £50.

Had a little play with one to day at Calumet Manchester. much nicer to handle now it is a twist to zoom rather than pull push

Had a little play with one to day at Calumet Manchester. much nicer to handle now it is a twist to zoom rather than pull push

....Any negatives about the handling or positions of switches etc? Nice balance?

Comments about the new tripod mount design?

Did you try out access to an imaginary circular polarising filter through the lens hood hatch?

I really don't like pull-push zoom actions so that's good news.

Hi switches seem easy to use. Did not try it on a tripod so cannot comment on mount. But to me a tripod mount is a tripod mount. Balance for me is ok on a 7D no grip. did not try any filters.

Last edited:
Totally, 100% confident. Excluding taxes, UK prices always equalise with USA/HK prices. With niche low-volume lenses like the 200-400 it can take a while, but with popular lenses (and this will be a very popular one) it usually takes 3-6 months. The USA launch price of this lens is $2199 excluding local sales taxes, which is £1395 today. Add VAT and you get £1675. So - barring fluctuations due to exchange rates - that's roughly where the price of this lens is heading in the medium term.

If it's worth £300 to you to get the lens a few months earlier, then it's your money and your decision. But at last you're dong it with your eyes open.

..But you won't get that exchange rate (1GBP=USD1.57), Stewart, unless you are dealing in very large amounts of money, at the moment paying with a credit card you'd be lucky to get 1.5 USD to the GBP, so we are at £1466, plus VAT comes to £1759, but I totally agree that we actually do better (if you take tax out of the equation) than the US if taxes are taken in to account.

I did a check on the super tells quite a while ago and proved that this was conclusively the case....and I think your figure of £1675 is very realistic...

Last edited:
If it's worth £300 to you to get the lens a few months earlier, then it's your money and your decision. But at least you're dong it with your eyes open.

....And very much due to the helpful and valuable information which members of this TP forum post. :)

.... :D How about those who can't really afford it if they were to ask a bank manager or accountant but who scrape together finance because life is too short and they want to learn how to use and enjoy it as soon as possible?

We learn patience.

So I'll replace my 7D in the Spring and my 100-400 in the summer. And I'll save about £1000. I like patience.

We learn patience.

So I'll replace my 7D in the Spring and my 100-400 in the summer. And I'll save about £1000. I like patience.

Or don't replace them at all, Frank, and save even more?

Bob

A little bit of trivia. This lens is the top selling L lens since pre-ordering was announced online.
Yup, doesn't surprise me, floodgates have been opened!!

Hoping to get a loan of one when they hit the shelves, be good to get real world feedback.

A similar comparison would be the Nikon 80-400 which launched last March at £2450 yet by November it was available for £1900 and it's hovered around that price since give or take £50.

....That's around 8-9 months to save 550 squid - Life is far too short to wait that long! Especially if you apply approx 9 months on from this Canon 100-400mm II December release date making it around August and missing a big chunk of English summer light and activity etc for wildlife.

If the price hasn't dropped by early March I'll buy it anyway - Unless the word on the street is that it's a crap lens (which is something I very much doubt).

It is outdone by the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens and Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens.

I fully expect prices to drop by June-September timeframe.

I am looking more forward to a 5D Mark IV by February/March.

Dolina, I'm not sure what point you are making, the new 100-400 should be a much better lens than either of the 2 you name, sorry if I'm missing something, especially the 50mm which is good value for money, but no way comparable to an "L" lens.

Personally, I think the current range of Canon bodies is pretty good, a lot of us were waiting for a 7D2 but I don't think there will be such a clamour for a 5D4 as the mk 3's technology is pretty up to date.

Last edited:
George just sharing same sales data. That's all. :)

On one forum someone claims that BH received over 140 orders of the 100-400 IS II so far.

Such sales data would be useful for those wanting an estimate when their order will arrive.

Interesting to see what this does to second hand prices for the old model which is still a very good lens, it might become an affordable alternative for people that don't use a lens this length very often. I want to go on another holiday with a wildlife element now so I can rent the new version and try it out, I enjoyed using the old lens in India and Sri Lanka.

It is outdone by the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens and Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens.

I fully expect prices to drop by June-September timeframe.

I am looking more forward to a 5D Mark IV by February/March.

Not really sure where Canon could go with a 5D4. Higher resolution but that would have to come with no increase in noise and better dynamic range to be worthwhile. Wifi and GPS. The rest of the camera is pretty good. Tweak the AF and custom controls to bring it inline with the MkII and 1DX.

I've seen the rumours about an early 2015 launch but with sales still strong I'd be surprised if it came. Why fix it if it ain't broke.

George just sharing same sales data. That's all. :)

On one forum someone claims that BH received over 140 orders of the 100-400 IS II so far.

Such sales data would be useful for those wanting an estimate when their order will arrive.

Ah, ok, well to be honest I'm surprised it's only 140!!...thought B and H would have had a lot more pre-orders!!..I think it'll be a really popular lens, and as Alex points out, it may drop 2nd hand prices a bit, but of course as the new one is at the moment quite a bit more, it may not affect them too much after the initial sale of people upgrading has passed!!

Not really sure where Canon could go with a 5D4. Higher resolution but that would have to come with no increase in noise and better dynamic range to be worthwhile. Wifi and GPS. The rest of the camera is pretty good. Tweak the AF and custom controls to bring it inline with the MkII and 1DX.

I've seen the rumours about an early 2015 launch but with sales still strong I'd be surprised if it came. Why fix it if it ain't broke.

I agree, Gary, I think the 1 Dx is just excellent, and my concern is that Canon are going to spend a lot of R+D on video improvements (e.g. 4K) which for the like of us still chaps, don't matter a hoot!!

Perhaps the rumoured Foveon type sensor might find it's way in, and that would be a game changer, but for me 18Mpx FF and a 7D2 backup for long reach in good light is just fine!!

Gary, didn't you mean to post this in the 7D mk2 thread!!!!:banana::):)

Damn. That what comes of having too many pages open on my iPad. Thanks George.

I have just had a long chat with Frankie Jim, the CPS guy, and one of the things we touched on was the new 100-400 mk2.

He said they should start to be available in the next 10 days, and the performance is pretty much on a par with the 70-200 2.8 mk2, which is a stellar lens.

Sounds good!!

Update...just checked and shipments are starting a week on Friday...the 12th so not too long before the feedback starts.

The early 2015 launch is likely based on the past product refresh cycle than any actual leak from Canon and the timing of CP+ CAMERA & PHOTO IMAGING SHOW 2015. The cycle of the original 5D (22 August 2005) to 5D Mark II (17 September 2008) to 5D Mark III (2 March 2012). A February/March 2015 time frame would fit this prerequisite. Late 2015 is my expectation for the 1DX replacement to give enough time to practice/work out the bugs before the 2015 Rio Olympics.

As to what can be improved you only need to look at Nikon's D810/D750 and Sony's α7/α7R/α7S/α7 Mark II full frame single grip bodies. Their feature set has the pixel peepers up in arms over Canon's lethargic innovation. I expect Nikon & Sony to release more full frame single grip bodies in 2015 like a replacement to the Nikon DF/D610.

Ah, ok, well to be honest I'm surprised it's only 140!!...thought B and H would have had a lot more pre-orders!!..I think it'll be a really popular lens, and as Alex points out, it may drop 2nd hand prices a bit, but of course as the new one is at the moment quite a bit more, it may not affect them too much after the initial sale of people upgrading has passed!!

He probably ordered on the first hours of the first day of pre-orders.

Apart from the sensor on the Nikon D810 and its resolution there is nothing really that's ground breaking.

For some reason Canon prefer to keep their sensor production in house and i can understand that but the sensor in the 7D MKII has shown improvement and if that could be continued into the FF sensor then they will be closer to the Nikon.

So many people go on about sensors as though its the holy grail of camera development. For some maybe it is but for others they are looking at a whole package. I use Canon but I'm happy to admit that Nikon have got the lead in dynamic range and noise in both crop and FF sensor. Where Canon are losing out is at lower ISO's where the noise and dynamic range fall behind. At higher ISO Canon are more evenly matched.

I do think however that in the lower end of the market Canon have some catching up to do as Nikons offerings seem excellent all round.

If you look at the D4S and 1DX the Nikon has about 1/3 stop advantage in colour sensitivity right across the ISO range. The Nikons dynamic range advantage is only really apparent up to around ISO 500 and then much more even. In signal to noise ratio the Canon is every bit as good as the Nikon even better at lower ISO.

So the Nikon shades it but you could argue that it should as its carrying less resolution than the 1DX which should bring inherent advantages. The D810 has a wonderful sensor and I'd buy one for landscapes if that was my thing. But its not and if you take the sensor performance out Nikon has nothing really to make it stand out.

Last edited:
So the Nikon shades it but you could argue that it should as its carrying less resolution than the 1DX which should bring inherent advantages. The D810 has a wonderful sensor and I'd buy one for landscapes if that was my thing. But its not and if you take the sensor performance out Nikon has nothing really to make it stand out.

....And also Canon have probably the broadest selection of lenses to choose from in their system.

Nikon are very good and it's good for us as consumers that each keeps the other honest in their DSLR rivalry. I think that we each choose what best suits us as individuals for the type of photography we do. There are many factors in that choice and one should never underestimate the importance of physical tactile handling - I love Canon ergonomics.

But back on topic, do folks here think that the introduction of this new 100-400mm L II zoom will devalue the 300mm F/4L IS and 400mm F/5.6L primes?

[SIZE=13px said:
But back on topic, do folks here think that the introduction of this new 100-400mm L II zoom will devalue the 300mm F/4L IS and 400mm F/5.6L primes?
[/SIZE]

Yes, Robin, they are now both previous generation lenses...

For me the question is do I sell my 70-200 f2.8 MkII and 300 f4 to replace both with the 100-400 and will I get the use out of it. At the moment its unlikely I would. Don't use my zoom that much, the 300 not much more. Most of my photography uses my 500. I'm also happy with the quality I get with 1.4 TC on both lenses so whilst changing would not cost a massive amount of cash I feel that I have more versatility with the other two.

For lightness, when travelling, and in good ambient light (ie where I can stay ideally below iso 1600) I'd probably use the 70-200 on the 1 Dx and the 100-400 on the 7D2, at least that's the current plan I think.

Has anybody seen details of the aperture versus focal length switching points....ie, when does it cease to be f/4.5 and how soon does it become f/5.6 (and I guess f/5 in the middle somewhere).

Bob

Has anybody seen details of the aperture versus focal length switching points....ie, when does it cease to be f/4.5 and how soon does it become f/5.6 (and I guess f/5 in the middle somewhere).
Not yet, though I have looked.

Just checked with Frankie Jim, he tells me there is an f5 setting but he does't have a sample to check yet, (Deliveries scheduled for a week on Fri) but suspects it will be very close to the existing one, if that's any help!!

So deliveries could be from tomorrow? Can't wait to see the reviews for this (and the price to come down so I can buy one) (y)

I have just had a long chat with Frankie Jim, the CPS guy, and one of the things we touched on was the new 100-400 mk2.

He said they should start to be available in the next 10 days, and the performance is pretty much on a par with the 70-200 2.8 mk2, which is a stellar lens.

Sounds good!!

That being the case, looks like I am going to raid the piggy bank!!

Back