Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II....at last, it's announced!!

On Amazon there's a 'just launched' seller from Japan selling the 100-400 ii for £3057 :eek:

On Amazon there's a 'just launched' seller from Japan selling the 100-400 ii for £3057 :eek:

Cant see him selling many!

A guy in Singapore once tried to sell me a L Canon at a more expensive price than UK from him because as they were nearer Japan the lens would be 'fresher'

Cant see him selling many!

A guy in Singapore once tried to sell me a L Canon at a more expensive price than UK from him because as they were nearer Japan the lens would be 'fresher'

Fresher?
It's not a cream cake :rolleyes:

I won't be paying £2k never mind 3k for this lens, I'm hoping the price will come down by easter.

I'm hoping the price will come down by easter.

....It would be great if it did but isn't such a lens unlikely to have a price drop worth waiting for as soon as 4 months (approximately) from launch?

It can only be speculation but how likely would Canon be to drop their price even after 6 months?

I had a situation yesterday when a flock of Canada Geese suddenly flew overhead and I couldn't even get the whole of one bird in frame as I was too close with my 400mm prime. Being able to quickly zoom down would have been perfect with this new 100-400mm. [Robin continues to convince himself that he needs to buy this lens]

It's not just lens reach which wildlife photography needs but I have often had to step back.

some imports are £1400 ish already with tax and shipping paid on ebay, won be long till they are £1200 give it 2-3 months.

I don't really need it before easter, hence my statement above.
But I tend to be a 'want it now' buyer so.....:arghh:

....It would be great if it did but isn't such a lens unlikely to have a price drop worth waiting for as soon as 4 months (approximately) from launch?

It can only be speculation but how likely would Canon be to drop their price even after 6 months?.

Canon don't drop their prices, retailers drop their prices after the initial rush of 'ohmygodnewshinytoymusthave' types have paid the idiot tax. And 3 to 6 months seems to be about right. The 200-400 stayed at its RRP for around 4 months before the initial price drop (£12000 to £11000), then another 6 weeks before the next drop (£10200) where it stayed for 8 months until the big drop to £8800 - LINK

In 6 months I expect the price of a legal version of the 100-400 MkII (i.e., not fallen off the back of a lorry, or a smuggler-special) to be around £1600

Think I might sell my 7D2 to finance this......:)

Hi,

Scott Kelby posted some thoughts on this lens - HERE

Mike.

PS: George, I'll give you tuppence ha'penny and a slightly used Heelan' Coo toffee for it ;)

Last edited:
I had a situation yesterday when a flock of Canada Geese suddenly flew overhead and I couldn't even get the whole of one bird in frame as I was too close with my 400mm prime. Being able to quickly zoom down would have been perfect with this new 100-400mm. [Robin continues to convince himself that he needs to buy this lens]
Ironically, that's the kind of situation where the push-pull zoom mechanism makes the Mk I 100-400 absolutely unbeatable.

In 6 months I expect the price of a legal version of the 100-400 MkII (i.e., not fallen off the back of a lorry, or a smuggler-special) to be around £1600
Maybe. Back in post #120 of this thread I estimated £1675. Unless something dramatic happens to exchange rates in the interim period I'd be surprised if it doesn't go below £1700 and surprised if it does go below £1600. But how long that will take depends on how much pent-up demand there is and how fast shipments are, and the early signs are not good. I'm still waiting for my first batch of them....

Last edited:
Nobody got one yet?...they seem to be shipping in other countries...

I tried one last night on a 7D II at LCE in Southampton.

Brilliant lens, the speed of the AF is much superior to the original. Not sure about the twist zoom compared to the push/pull, but then I prefer the push/pull myself as a personal preference.

....good, looking forward to reviews, will you be trying them out Stewart?

I tried one last night on a 7D II at LCE in Southampton.

Brilliant lens, the speed of the AF is much superior to the original. Not sure about the twist zoom compared to the push/pull, but then I prefer the push/pull myself as a personal preference.

....When I get mine (it's a case of when and not if) I'll be mounting it on a 7D Mark II too, so I'm very interested to hear what your longer term opinions are about this combo, Tony @350wedge . It should be a great combination for wildlife photography.

I personally prefer twist (to match zoom actions my 70-200mm L) rather than push-pull on zooms. Did you know that you can alter the default resistance to make the zoom action looser/tighter?

....When I get mine (it's a case of when and not if) I'll be mounting it on a 7D Mark II too, so I'm very interested to hear what your longer term opinions are about this combo, Tony @350wedge . It should be a great combination for wildlife photography.

I personally prefer twist (to match zoom actions my 70-200mm L) rather than push-pull on zooms. Did you know that you can alter the default resistance to make the zoom action looser/tighter?

Much as I'd have loved to have bought them both there and then, my credit card really would have complained..! I bought a 70-200 F2.8 yesterday in any case so those might have caused meltdown :)

I need to sell my MKI 100-400 before I do anything.....

Looks like Stewart wiped out the stock at WEX as currently showing 'awaiting stock' ;) :LOL:

I will be waiting for the early high price phase rush to finish..........it will finish won't it as at £1999 that is a "bit rich" for my pocket plus like others I would need to sell my Mk1. On that note I wonder how many will be coming onto the market!

Nice StewartR :)

From what I've seen and read about it so far it looks like it's an amazing lens !!
Let us know how your experience goes?

Last edited:
The 100-400 MkII is selling for $2600 Australia, about £1300, shame my brother isn't coming over for a visit anytime soon :(

There's a very interesting comparison between the old and new 400DO lenses and the old and new 100-400 lenses on this site...
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/12/a-brief-400mm-comparison

The results are, to me, frankly surprising on the 100-400 products.....be interesting to get real world opinions rather than test results, and these results just post optical improvements, no mention of AF speed or IS improvements.

George

There's a very interesting comparison between the old and new 400DO lenses and the old and new 100-400 lenses on this site...
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/12/a-brief-400mm-comparison

The results are, to me, frankly surprising on the 100-400 products.....be interesting to get real world opinions rather than test results, and these results just post optical improvements, no mention of AF speed or IS improvements.

George

....Still rather early for real-world opinions I guess but do you think that his results on the 400mm DO lenses comparison perhaps set us up to expect much more from the 100-400mm lens comparisons?

This afternoon I have been reading the 7D Mark II 50-page Autofocus Guide (RTFM!!) and I noticed that the 7D2 has the 'AI Servo AF III' like the 1DX (which I have never used) and that consequently I think it might be safe to assume that these bodies with the new 100-400mm II mounted will deliver more potential than with the previous 100-400mm. Technology never stands still.

I might add that the finer points of camera technology are all well and good but I still have a lot to learn about post-processing subjects like white Egrets!....
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/little-egret-with-edit.571643/

Last edited:
The more reviews I read, the more I'm loving the sound of this lens.
Just waiting for santa to deliver mine :)

I'm using the Mark II 100-400 on a 7D Mk II body. It's a really nice combination. IS on the lens is excellent and I've been going as low as 1/40s at times at 400mm (I've been photographing rats in shady corners of a local pond). The other big bonus is that it is very sharp at f/5.6. Combined this makes a real difference working in the grubby gloom that we seem to have had recently. AF is fast, plus the minimum focusing range is less than a metre. Getting used to the twist zoom, but that's fine and the torque control is useful. I don't like the lens cap, but that is me being pretty picky.

I'm using the Mark II 100-400 on a 7D Mk II body. It's a really nice combination. IS on the lens is excellent and I've been going as low as 1/40s at times at 400mm (I've been photographing rats in shady corners of a local pond). The other big bonus is that it is very sharp at f/5.6. Combined this makes a real difference working in the grubby gloom that we seem to have had recently. AF is fast, plus the minimum focusing range is less than a metre. Getting used to the twist zoom, but that's fine and the torque control is useful. I don't like the lens cap, but that is me being pretty picky.
Should add that it plays nicely with the 1.4x III extender.

....That's really helpful to know as I have both the 7D Mark II and the 1.4x III Extender. Thanks for posting this information. :)

When you say that you find it is very sharp at F/5.6 do you mean when F/5.6 at 400mm? Or that you are finding that its optimum sharpness is when at F/5.6 throughout its zoom range? (aka the lens sweet spot).

It sounds as if it's going to be difficult to wait too long for a price drop!

Mine has arrived but I'm trying to resist opening it until Christmas morning, which is only another 24 hours!
Step away from the box Marie....:exit:

Mine has arrived but I'm trying to resist opening it until Christmas morning, which is only another 24 hours!
Step away from the box Marie....:exit:

....I'm not envious................. Much!!

GreenEnvy.jpg

Have a wonderful Christmas, Marie, and we look forward to reading your opinions about this lens in due course.

:)

Last edited:

When you say that you find it is very sharp at F/5.6 do you mean when F/5.6 at 400mm? Or that you are finding that its optimum sharpness is when at F/5.6 throughout its zoom range? (aka the lens sweet spot).

I've just been leaving it on 5.6 throughout the range, and I've not even felt the need to go hunting for a sweet spot (quite unlike the original version). This shot of a rat in the undergrowth was at 5.6 1/200s (ISO 400).

I bought one to pair it with my 7dmkII this is my first shot very little light as it was in the shade 1/200 f5.6 iso 800 about a stop under exposed PP work done, 400mm but 640mm fov with the crop factor.
Feel quite happy with the lens .
Rob.

I bought one to pair it with my 7dmkII this is my first shot very little light as it was in the shade 1/200 f5.6 iso 800 about a stop under exposed PP work done, 400mm but 640mm fov with the crop factor.
Feel quite happy with the lens .
Rob.

....Oooh! That's a very nicely balanced image indeed :) As a 7D2 user I don't think I need any more convincing.

A quick play with the lens as the light starts to improve here.
This is with 1.4x kenko 300 dgx, 560mm, iso800, F8, 1/500 on 5D3
I already prefer it to the tamron 150-600mm in terms of size/weight.
50% crop and slight sharpen for web.

15915720109_b1dfdaceb1_o.jpg

Handheld, 400mm f5.6, iso640, 1/2000th
50% crop
web sharpen
16102223125_5eee5726b4_o.jpg

Last edited:
A quick play with the lens as the light starts to improve here.
This is with 1.4x kenko 300 dgx, 560mm, iso800, F8, 1/500 on 5D3
I already prefer it to the tamron 150-600mm in terms of size/weight.
50% crop and slight sharpen for web.

15915720109_b1dfdaceb1_o.jpg

Handheld, 400mm f5.6, iso640, 1/2000th
50% crop
web sharpen
16102223125_5eee5726b4_o.jpg
How does the image quality of the Tamron stack up against the 100-400 mk2 (at the focal lengths that they share)?
It would be interesting to see a real user comparision with & without the extender too.

How does the image quality of the Tamron stack up against the 100-400 mk2 (at the focal lengths that they share)?
It would be interesting to see a real user comparision with & without the extender too.

+1

Back