Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS... £729 from Clifton Cameras

Lowest UK price yet (and non-grey-import)...

Base price £899, then 10% off (with CAN10) and £80 Canon cashback.

http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Canon_EF_16-35mm_f4L_IS_USM

Comparison:
Amazon = £913
HDEW = £759
Panamoz = £741

Just ordered and today you can get a Canon extender for half price. Just ordered both. Came to 957 and £80 cashback to add!

So a brand new 1.4x mkiii plus 16-35mm f4 with 2 year UK warranty for £877!

Yep, the 10% CAN10 code also applies to the converter so you're getting that for £148!!

Just cancelled order as delivery date was mid jan but now early March!

Seriously?! I enquired for an update only the other day and they said it was still mid-Jan. Not heard anything to the contrary yet - did they email you or did you enquire?

That's rubbish, was showing in stock right? And missed cashback?

Even if it does turn out to be mid-March, it's still worth waiting for such a good deal IMO.

I specifically asked about the cashback and they said the invoice would be dated 1st Jan (purchase date) so no worries there.

But cashback claim deadline is end of
Feb?

I emailed yesterday, they said 4 coming in but none are mine so you might be ok I hope.

Hmm, still not heard anything - will see if I get any despatch confirmation in the next day or so.

Yeah the cashback deadline is 28th Feb - if for some reason they still haven't got the lenses by then I'll simply demand that they provide an invoice so I can claim the cashback anyway. They've taken my money so I'm entitled to an invoice, even if I don't yet have the goods.

EDIT: Actually, you're right - even with an invoice I'd still need the goods as I need the serial number.

Last edited:
Wouldn't go near them with a barge-pole to be honest. Not only have I heard a few tales but, even if all goes smoothly, they're still grey importers. I can get the lens for a similar price to the £730 of the Clifton offer via grey importers but the attraction of the Clifton offer was that it would be a proper UK lens.

I've dropped them an email to clarify what's going on.

Have to say bought a 100-400mm mark 2 for 1500 and 7d mkII 15-85 kit for 1200 separately and had 2 good experiences

Delivery did take 2-3 weeks but comms was good and item spot on and registered with CPS without an issue.

Spoken with Clifton. They're expecting some stock at the end of January but far less than they were originally expecting. Canon are estimating the next shipment will be the start of March, as you heard, which is obviously too late to claim cashback on.

I've asked them to keep me apprised and I appreciate this is not their fault and that they're at the mercy of Canon.

It's Canon who are to blame here - if they're have such drastic stock shortages during a cashback offer then they should be extending the claim deadline accordingly or I imagine there'll be a lot of customers who find their goods delivered after the deadline.

Spoken with Clifton. They're expecting some stock at the end of January but far less than they were originally expecting. Canon are estimating the next shipment will be the start of March, as you heard, which is obviously too late to claim cashback on.

I've asked them to keep me apprised and I appreciate this is not their fault and that they're at the mercy of Canon.

It's Canon who are to blame here - if they're have such drastic stock shortages during a cashback offer then they should be extending the claim deadline accordingly or I imagine there'll be a lot of customers who find their goods delivered after the deadline.

Agreed, poor planning by Canon! However, the teleconverter promo only served make matters worse for Clifton.

Last edited:
Got another update from them - apparently they've spoken to the Canon rep regarding cashback as they're having supply problems with quite a few lenses which are included in the offer. Apparently something will be done if it comes to it, somehow allowing the claims to be filed even if the goods haven't yet been delivered.

We'll see what transpires :)

Costco online have this lens at £820 delivered (you do need to be a member to get it at this price). Costco stores do appear on Canon's "Where to buy" list but does anyone know if buying it from Costco online still makes it eligible for the £80 cashback?

It basically needs to be a proper UK lens rather than a grey import, so Costco would have to have sourced it from Canon's UK channel. They're a big enough outfit that I'd assume they have.

FYI my lens & extender arrived this week :)

Still not entirely sure whether I'll hang onto the extender or not - been thinking about one for a while and want to see how it fares with my 70-200 II but may end up selling it on later. The lens was the main thing I was after but couldn't say no to the extender with a total saving of £350 :)

Back