Canon EF 17-40 mm f/4.0 L USM Lens

Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I have just purchased a Canon EOS 60D and looking for a good Landscape lens. I have seen this one advertised but not sure if it is compatible (or even a good lens) for the 60d, can anyone advise please?:shake:

Canon 10-22mm would be my choice.

L quality glass without the red stripe, build quality is not as good as the 17-40 but the 10mm makes up for that.

Nothing wrong at all with it (y) a very good lens for the money (y) I have a bias as I only try and by EF lens as while I still own a crop sensor camera I prefer all my lens to fit on my 5D3, that said if you want a good wide landscape lens for your current camera then the 10-22 is a good choice or the Sigma 10-20 is also a great lens (y)

Welcome to TP :wave:

Matt
MWHCVT

Hi James, Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Yeah, i also looked at that lens but it was getting quite mixed reviews. have you used this lens much?

Hi Matt, thanks for the welcome. So Like James you think 10 -20 is the way to go yeah?

I have this lens and use it on my 5D mk II. I've found the 40mm end is quite soft towards the edges - the lens is probably optimised for the 17mm end. I only tend to use it for extreme wide-angle effects - for everything else I tend to stick with my 24-70mm, which is wide enough for landscapes, has consistent IQ across the zoom range and doesn't stretch and distort everything at the edge of the frame on the 24mm setting.

I think any L lens is wasted on a crop body as you're only using the centre part of the glass :)

A.

Hi James, Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Yeah, i also looked at that lens but it was getting quite mixed reviews. have you used this lens much?

Yes all the time and I find it great! You get some distortion on the corners at smaller zoom but that's to be expected. Guess that's what you have found online?

Take a look on my Flickr, I'm no pro mind, only recently learned you don't need f22 for landscapes.

I use the 17-40L myself on a crop.

Feel free to look at my facebook page where all images have been used with it beside - first two images in landscape , and all in wildlife/ sport. Www.facebook.com/sampotterphotography

Only reason ill be buying a 10-20 is for a car rig at some point.

I used the 17-40mm on a crop camera for a while, not every landscape has to be ultra-wide and the constant f4 aperture is nice. The weather sealing, build quality and the fact that it's a jeffing sharp lens help as well.

On a crop you get about 24-60mm which isnt far off the most popular full frame zoom lenses: 24-70mm and 28-70mm for example

I have the 10-22 as well; it's also a tiny bit faster at the wide end open 3.5-4.5. As James has said it's not quite L build quality but it does take very nice pictures. Plus it's a little cheaper - and very very light.

Of course if you're planning on going FF soon... there is only one choice.

No complaints from me with the 10-22mm (apart from the tight sods not including a hood)

17-40mm is kit lens range with a crop, surprising how much difference each mm makes in the ultra wide focal length

If I want to shoot something at 17mm it's rare I won't want the option to go a little wider so the 10-22 is ideal for me.

Depends what you shoot at the end of the day, but 10-22 matches the 16-35 on a crop which is the typical wide angle selections.

Maybe it's even worth considering the 17-55 which is another very good EF-S lens but includes IS which the 17-40 does not to my knowledge, and it's a consistent f2.8 in addition to giving the extra reach at the tele end.

If I want to shoot something at 17mm it's rare I won't want the option to go a little wider so the 10-22 is ideal for me.

Depends what you shoot at the end of the day, but 10-22 matches the 16-35 on a crop which is the typical wide angle selections.

Maybe it's even worth considering the 17-55 which is another very good EF-S lens but includes IS which the 17-40 does not to my knowledge, and it's a consistent f2.8 in addition to giving the extra reach at the tele end.

Very good points.

I've owned the 17-40L in the past and used it on crop and full-frame. I really like it as a full-frame UWA, but I was less impressed with it on a crop - if you wanted that focal length go with the 17-55 IS, if you want wider then go with 10-22.

Phil

Thank you all so much for your input, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me and I have made the decision to go for the 10-22mm.
By the way Tijuana Taxi I live just up the road from you!!!! lol

Cheers everyone, your tops

Whereabouts are you then Colin?

Not far at all then Colin, few people on here from our area

Did you go to the local camera club exhibition last weekend in the free church St Ives?

No Mate, to be honest I am just getting back into photograhy after many years away from it. I will however be looking out for such events from now on. Anything you hear about please give me a shout. I have only just bought my 60d so I am itching to get out and do some landscapes.

Will do, not many landscapes round here unless you like big skies although some of the sunrises over the lakes near the busway can be quite pleasant.

Some good bird photo opportunities if that's of any interest to you, good reason to buy a nice long prime :)

Yeah. I know what you mean. I have friends in South Yorkshire which we visit quite often and they have stunning landscapes only a few minutes away. Me and the missus travel round the UK a fair bit so I am now looking forward to taking my kit with me and having a few days out just taking photos. Never really thought about bird photos but hey it's another avenue eh?

Back