Canon EF 70-300 f4.5-5.6 DO IS USM any good?

I think more 'useful' than good... The sample shots often show softness and a fair bit of flare. There's an in-depth review here.

If you really can't have a bit long lens on your camera for some reason (and I can't actually think of one right now), then it could be useful, but from the reviews personally I'd save £700 and get the regular Canon 70-300 IS, it's longer, but a whole lot cheaper!

Thanks, I'am quite new to photography so all opinions welcome.
I already have a 2x extender, so would the 70-200 L IS be a better option than the
70-300 DO.
Weight-size not a problem.

I used to have one, and I don't now, so I guess that says something. But I didn't get rid for reasons of poor optical quality. I thought it was fine in that regard, and I always looked quite critically at the photos because so many people diss that lens, looking for problems that are only noticeable if you go looking for them. Unfairly IMHO.

I bought it because of its size, and at 70mm it is indeed very compact. But it's not at 300mm, and with a hood it's as long as any other 300mm. It's small for carrying, but not discreet to use. It also suffers zoom creep, which really annoyed me. And it's heavy - 100g more than the regular 70-300 IS.

Apart from taking up less space in your bag, the normal 70-300 IS beats it in every respect.

Edit: crossed post. I now have a 100-400L, and also 70-200L 4 IS. If size/weight is not a problem and you want reach, then 100-400L is the one to go for. The 70-200L 4 takes a good quality 1.4x extender quite well (Canon or Kenko Pro) as does the 2.8 version, but very few lenses take the 2x very well - not for regular use anyway.

If you're uncertain, I would hire a couple of lenses from StewartR on here www.lensesforhire.co.uk and compare them for yourself. It's taken me a couple of years and four different lenses to arrive at what I have now. Expensive mistakes ;)

Back