Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone got one of these and have some shots to share?

If they are taken underwater, even better :D

mine should be here monday.ive bought a cheap hood that will need a bit of modifying that arrived this morning.

waiting on mine to arrive too. hdew supposed to have it coming in monday so fingers crossed will get it tuesday. Then im heading off the Portsmouth area for a week on thursday so hopefully get some nice shots around the harbour of all the boats and Spinnaker tower

Anybody know how the EF-S 10-18mm compares to the EF-S 10-22mm with regards to image quality? Would the EF-S 10-22 still be the better of the two lenses when shooting at 10mm?

Be interesting to see people's opinions on this lens, as am thinking of treating myself to one soon.

well was hoping to get mine tomorrow but its still not in stock at HDEW.. very frustrating.. of they dont get it come in tomorrow then im screwed as it means it wont be here in time for me going on holiday. not happy as ordered it on 14th

spoken to them , they will be in tomorrow they confirmed.. dont trust royal mail so as they are local to me will be collecting.
wooot

Ordered mine from Digitalrev on Friday afternoon, delivered this morning. Always great service from them. I'll post first shots if still interested.

Ordered mine from Digitalrev on Friday afternoon, delivered this morning. Always great service from them. I'll post first shots if still interested.

mines now with vendor and will be here in the morning ( they wont let the OH collect as i have the card . typical ).. yup would love to see some shots and hear your views on performance

i spoke to them lunchtime today and they had stock and were processing my order. i guess it depends how many they got in stock and how long ago you placed order.
mine was placed on 14th so they may have got for arguments sake 15 in stock and yours was order number 16.
still not had an order update though or tracking number so until that comes through im not going to be convinced.

the way i see it is as soon as you order a lens they then order one straight away for you they dont keep stock i was told this afternoon they have none in stock and mine would be with them tommorow i realy wanted it for the weekend gutted

Here's some quick images.

Image in centre of the frame, 10mmm f14

Canon 10-18mm test 3 by Mark T 1966, on Flickr

Moved to the left to put the sign at corner.

Canon 10-18mm test 2 by Mark T 1966, on Flickr

Distortions appear to be well handled and the text on the sign is nice and crisp.

Here's a close-up at the minimum focus distance, again 10mm f14. Again nice and sharp with good detail.

Canon 10-18mm test 1 by Mark T 1966, on Flickr

Finally, I shot a cloud scape with the ground at the bottom of the frame to see if the distortions were barrel or pincushion, but as you can see the results are great.

Canon 10-18mm test 4 by Mark T 1966, on Flickr

Overall, I am impressed. It's a great little lens - and I mean little! it is very light, a bit plastic but that's OK. Can't comment on the IS yet, but with this lens I am not sure it will really be useful to me.

woooot mines just arrived.. its soooo light!
and close up focusing is just silly... down to about 3cm..
just in time for hols tomorrow.. will try and get a test shot up today if i get chance to take something sensible!

mines still not in stock ordered 10.15 last tuesday if i havent had a tracking number by 2.30 today im canceling i realy wanted it for sunday :(

I honestly think this will be my next investment.

Just on the subject, where are you guys ordering from and at what price. Ive seen many prices from many websites.

Equally is there any competition to this lens for the same budget? i.e Sigma 10-20mm?

Please advise

mines still not in stock ordered 10.15 last tuesday if i havent had a tracking number by 2.30 today im canceling i realy wanted it for sunday :(
they dont sent out til around 4.30pm so wont have tracking number until then.. normally stock comes in around midday so if its not in by now today doubt it will come in. sucks for ya i know

I honestly think this will be my next investment.

Just on the subject, where are you guys ordering from and at what price. Ive seen many prices from many websites.

Equally is there any competition to this lens for the same budget? i.e Sigma 10-20mm?

Please advise
price from Hdew cameras is £215 or from Digital Rev its around £249.

in terms of the sigma which i had before its obviously not as wide and nowhere near as heavy so in that respect feels inferior in terms of build. However for focusing its whisper quiet and uber fast with the STM motor and images are pin sharp.
also less flare and CA on the canon lens over the sigma and of course its £100 cheaper for the canon one .

you have no Aperture window or infinty scale to work with on the canon .

so you have to weigh up the pros and cons
lighter, optically better with better CA and flare
fast STM motor
whisper quiet
67mm filter thread so cheaper for filters
£100 cheaper

Cons

Cheap plastic build
no aperture window / no infinty/ distance scale
plastic mount and plastic filter thread
STM lens though fast and silent under manual focusing is quite frankly for still shots a bit of an arse.. but for video its amazing.
fraction slower 4.5 5/6 on canon.. sigma is 4- 5.6

so that sums it up... build quality over image quality is essentially the choice..
if you tend to knock your lenses around a bit then the sigma
if you look after em then the canon

price from Hdew cameras is £215 or from Digital Rev its around £249.

in terms of the sigma which i had before its obviously not as wide and nowhere near as heavy so in that respect feels inferior in terms of build. However for focusing its whisper quiet and uber fast with the STM motor and images are pin sharp.
also less flare and CA on the canon lens over the sigma and of course its £100 cheaper for the canon one .

you have no Aperture window or infinty scale to work with on the canon .

so you have to weigh up the pros and cons
lighter, optically better with better CA and flare
fast STM motor
whisper quiet
67mm filter thread so cheaper for filters
£100 cheaper

Cons

Cheap plastic build
no aperture window / no infinty/ distance scale
plastic mount and plastic filter thread
STM lens though fast and silent under manual focusing is quite frankly for still shots a bit of an arse.. but for video its amazing.
fraction slower 4.5 5/6 on canon.. sigma is 4- 5.6

so that sums it up... build quality over image quality is essentially the choice..
if you tend to knock your lenses around a bit then the sigma
if you look after em then the canon

Dean,

thank you very much,

That as exactly the answer I was looking for! I'm usually very careful with my kit, so you've guessed which one I'm opting for. For what I shoot I need a wider angle lens, so this will be replacing a very cheap Cosina 19-35mm lens I have been using. Although that said it has been a good lens.

hdew do supply grey imports but they have a very good reputation.....................doh forgot to phone hdew to cancel

Been toying with one of these for a while now.
I'd be interested to hear what someone who's shot with the 10-22 canon thinks of it in comparison. Also has anyone got any stuff with this lens wide open at 10mm showing its Uwa effects.

totally boring i know. just 2 quick shots out my back door. to show you. SOOC converted to jpeg.. one at 10mm one at 18mm shot on canon 60D in P Mode just for reference.

14747716963_9a06a2226e_c.jpg

14541207168_d49570e90a_c.jpg

Being so wide to being with looks like it's got an impressive zoom.

Been following this thread with interest regarding the price of imports, all UK prices seem static at £299 but as of posting Amazon have reduced their's to £231.95 if anyone is interested. Instock from the 31-7.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EF-S-10-18mm-4-5-5-6-Lens/dp/B00KAQX66Y

Ordered mine with an expected delivery date of 5-8, no doubt an email may follow to say it was a price error.

*update*

looks like it was a 12hr reduction or mistake, back up to full price again and out of stock

Last edited:
mine turned up today great little lens focus is fast and silent cant fault it:clap:

I'd already bitten the bullet (but the HDEW updates were really helpful) and mine would have arrived today too, if I'd been when the postman called! Will collect from the sorting office tomorrow, but sounds like I'll be happy :D

Something I wouldn't mind throwing in to the mix,

What are your thoughts of Canon's 10-18mm F4.5 vs Tokina 11-16mm F2.8?

I'm in the market for a wide angle lens, and I can get a New Canon from HDEW for £215 as the majority of this thread have, however is the Tokina worth the extra £80/£100 for a second hand one?

/Thoughts?

First impressions are really good. The distance this focuses down to is incredible, and it should be fantastic to use underwater which was the main reason for buying the lens.

Test shots aren't worth posting here, but I'll try and add some underwater ones after diving next.

First impressions are really good. The distance this focuses down to is incredible, and it should be fantastic to use underwater which was the main reason for buying the lens.

Test shots aren't worth posting here, but I'll try and add some underwater ones after diving next.
That'd be brilliant to see how it copes with underwater stuff too. Do you plan on it soon or just in the future?

I was planning to dive at the weekend and was also hoping to fit in a weeks diving in Egypt at the end of the month, but had a small accident with my car last week that also resulted in a burnt hand so not sure I'll be doing either at the minute :(

D5.jpg

Wow of that's a small accident id hate to see something big.

Wish you all the best for a speedy recovery though.

I was diving in Egypt's national park ras Mohammed last September, was only using a compact but there's some brilliant stuff to photograph.

I was planning to dive at the weekend and was also hoping to fit in a weeks diving in Egypt at the end of the month, but had a small accident with my car last week that also resulted in a burnt hand so not sure I'll be doing either at the minute :(

D5.jpg

I Must ask what were you doing to it.

What are your thoughts of Canon's 10-18mm F4.5 vs Tokina 11-16mm F2.8?

Do you need f2.8? Will you be shooting mainly astro shots and/or dark interiors where flash and/or tripods aren't allowed. If the answer to the second question is 'No' then the answer to the first quation is 'No' and you can save some cash by getting the 10-18.

At ultra-wide angles the DoF is so huge that changing from f2.8 to f4.5 has little effect on it.

Back