Canon EOS 40d vs EOS 500d ?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking at ads for my first DSLR I see the Canon EOS 40D body is only £30 more than a Canon EOS 500D body.

I guess the 40D is a better build quality but the 500D seems higher spec and is a more recent model.

My interests are landscape, nature and HDR.
I'm not interested in video.

Gut feeling is to go for the EOS500D but having had semi-pro Canon 35mm bodies for the past 30 years I wonder if the 40D is a better buy ?

40D all the way, the xxxD series while useful are no where near the 40D, looking down the viewfinder of a 400/450D recently was like looking through a pin hole in a match box, sounds weird i know ! lol,(but id imagine the 500D is similar), also the focus points on the xxxD series just dont look good, the red dot kind of glows and looks messy and out of focus where as on the xxD cameras its a proper square focusing point, silly little points, but its all these things you notice, build quality is just way ahead, so the 40D is just streets ahead, go for it.

Another for the 40D, I upgrade from a 400D. However I'd say try and pick both up and see how they feel, one of the reasons I upgraded was for the feel of the 40d compared to the 400d in my hand - for me it felt right but might not be the case for you - from your post I think it might though.

If you are not interested in video, then another vote here for the 40D. Once again another upgrade from a 400D, and although they share the same sensor, love the "feel" of the 40D. Try them both in a shop, as mentioned above.

I just had the same dilema.
I went into London Camera Exchange and had a play. I also looked at the Nikon d5000 but didn't like the feel in my hand. After 2hrs of playing I opted for the 40D secondhand. It's certainly not a lightweight option compared with the 500D but i liked the fact that it was solid and should last me a long time. With the 50d out secondhand prices are falling and there are still some new ones about.

The **D range has always been a better build quality, if you dont need the Video capability go for the 40D every time.

Dave

The 40D is still a superior Camera, maybe not technology wise, but speed, handling, quality, "toughness" is much better!

there not really in the same league in my opinion.

40D was a bit too big for my unusually small hands, daresay its a good camera, but no good if its uncomfortable to use

Back