Canon eos 450d = 16gb sd card probs

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
I have purchased two 16gb sd cards, which work fine, ie in laptop, they recognise them, yet when i put in camera, it says it needs formatting... have formatted on latop, yet still saying that it needs to be formatted. it isnt, set to lock, so not sure what is going on...

Surely they need to be formatted in camera to a canon format before use??

Is it possible that 16gb won't work in the 450d? I only have the 400d, so can't really comment any further than that.
Had a quick google and it seems that sometimes the 450d just cannot handle that size card

Are they Kingston?

If you put a card formatted under Winblows into a Canon body it should read it and write the directory structure to the root automatically.
If you have the option under your species of Winblows, try FAT and then FAT32 formatting - see if that makes a difference.
I suspect the camera isn't capable of recognising a card of that size however.
I experimented with an 8 Gig in a 1D. The camera read it, the card reader read it too but when I put it in my Vosonic viewer / backup device it fell over trying to copy the files across.
16 Gig is, I think, pushing your luck a bit. Think how many images you'd lose in one fell swoop if it went tits up.

Back