Canon EOS 70D Owners Thread.

Mine arrived a couple of days ago along with a 300mm F4. I haven't had time to muck about with it much yet. Initial impressions I'm a little frustrated with the button layout compared to my 5d 3. That may be a case of setting it up and getting used to it, but some of the buttons just don't feel as though they are in the right place. I will have a good play with it at the weekend and see if I can customize it a little.

Initial shot.

Canon 70d first few shots by Click U, on Flickr

I just gave mine a good rub down with a nice soft lens cloth and then looked at all different angles so I could see there was nothing on it. Mine went on really well on both screens and I can confirm it doesn't affect the touchscreen at all. The same thing with the wifes 650D, perfect fitting and still very responsive touchscreen. I keep forgetting the 70D has a touchscreen as I very rarely use it as I'm so used to using the dial and buttons to move through the photos and zoom in but I must remember to use it more often.

I should hopefully take delivery of a nice shiny new EOS 70D and 18-135mm lens, & grip tomorrow. Really looking forward to seeing how it compares with my old faithful 450D.

I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas!

You won't regret it. I upgraded my 400D last year and am very pleased with my decision.

i just got a canon 70d but when i focus in live view using autofocus when i move focus square from light to dark exposure changes on screen if i goto manual it doesn't any ideas

I have decided to take the plunge and got a 70D from my local LCE yesterday. The £100 cash back from Canon was the final decision maker. It is a birthday present, so cannot fire it up until Wednesday! Had a quick look to check it over though and
to compare it to my 7D. It is slightly smaller and lighter due to using more plastic than the 7D, I have small hands, so it is not a problem.

I will be using it mostly with my Sigma 150-500mm for birds. I have read that it does not have centre spot focusing like the 7D, would this have a adverse effect on focusing on birds? I had the 60D, and seem to have taken some decent images of birds with it.
I got it for its better higher ISO capabilities to allow me to use faster shutter speeds and a better F stop with the Sigma.

Yes, the 7D is the better made camera, but as its technology is 4 years old, I thought the 70D was were a punt!

The centre spot focussing is the only thing that has disappointed me with the 70D. I had a 7D and a 1D MkIII before I got the 70D (as well as my 5D MkIII that I've still got) and the spot focus of the 70D is almost the same as the 1D spot focus and TBH once I got used to using it on the 70D I've never had a problem. I've managed to get some great bird shots with the 70D, as well as butterflies and other insects when I've had my 300 f4L IS. One of my favourite shots, that I'll post below, was taken with a 70-200 f2.8L IS II and 2x MkIII converter on centre point focus at f8 and is a Jpeg with only a crop for PP.

Yorkshire Bird
by modchild, on Flickr

A quick question.

Is it possible to plum in a minimum shutter speed when shooting in AV mode? The ideal would be that the ISO was increased if shutter speed fell below XXX. I'm assuming the 70d won't do this, but thought I would ask?

Without going through 16 pages of posts, can someone explain how to set the back focus button. I have only just got my 70D and just finding my way around it at the mo.

Sorry if this has been posted before, buy any help would be great.

Doug

Last edited:
I was very tempted to go for an 18-55 and 55-250 STM pairing, mainly for video work on my 70D as I have plenty of other lenses around that range. In the end I went for an 18-135 STM instead as I don't do much in the way of video work but the 18-135STM is a good step up in quality from the old IS version. I rarely buy any EF-s lenses as I have a 5D3 as my main body but the 18-135 STM was a bargain I couldn't pass up.

I already have the 18-135 stm as well as some nice L, lenses I just bought the stm 55-250 as I was always impressed with the image quality from the cheap non stm earlier version .I only do a few video shots but it wasn't alot of money at the 187 I found one for

Just ordered one of these from Digital Rev. Cant wait to get my hands on it, the 600d has served me well but looking forward to an upgrade. Anyone know how long delivery is with Digital Rev?

Without going through 16 pages of posts, can someone explain how to set the back focus button. I have only just got my 70D and just finding my way around it at the mo.

Sorry if this has been posted before, buy any help would be great.

Doug

Q button/ custom controls/ first row second one down, it says af-on, select and assign form there

Last edited:
If you're getting enough light at the aperture you've set you should see the shutter speed limit to 1/250 (with pop-up or eTTL flash). If the light's too low then it may not, in which case shoot in manual rather.

You can also set the Flash Sync Speed in AV Mode in the settings. It's normally set to Auto but you can fix it at 1/250 instead. (Camera Menu 2 - Flash Control)

Last edited:
If you're getting enough light at the aperture you've set you should see the shutter speed limit to 1/250 (with pop-up or eTTL flash). If the light's too low then it may not, in which case shoot in manual rather.

You can also set the Flash Sync Speed in AV Mode in the settings. It's normally set to Auto but you can fix it at 1/250 instead. (Camera Menu 2 - Flash Control)

Ah I was looking in custom functions. Thank you.

Ive had my 70D a while now, its a really good upgrade from my 40D. Took this the other day:
Canon 70D with 70-200mm f4 L
How well does the lens mount cope with f4 L, do you recommend a tripod mount ring for this lens?
As far as I can see, the camera and lens weigh similar amounts, so is there any benefit of using a strap from the tripod mount ring over attaching a strap to the camera tripod mount (or using the standard strap).

Cheers
Tim

A quick question.

Is it possible to plum in a minimum shutter speed when shooting in AV mode? The ideal would be that the ISO was increased if shutter speed fell below XXX. I'm assuming the 70d won't do this, but thought I would ask?

You can set a minimum for auto ISO but its 1/160th at the fastest which is still too slow. Personally i'd have liked an "anything you want" option here.

The only near workaround ive found is manual exposure where you dial in a shutterspeed and aperture but leave it on auto ISO. The downside to this is you can't do EV compensation there.

That said, i do tend to use AV with minimum 1/160th and auto ISO as my general walk-round mode and find it works well enough for non moving shots.

Last edited:
Thanks, have recently sold an 85mm to replace it with something else. Still not sure which way to go.

Providing you're looking for that sort of range I can absolutely recommend it for the image quality, mine is even still very sharp in the centre at f2.8. Build quality on the other hand is pretty poor for the cost. Most suffer from lens creep (mine does) and it's very far from feeling as solid as an L lens despite being in the same region cost wise.

Providing you're looking for that sort of range I can absolutely recommend it for the image quality, mine is even still very sharp in the centre at f2.8. Build quality on the other hand is pretty poor for the cost. Most suffer from lens creep (mine does) and it's very far from feeling as solid as an L lens despite being in the same region cost wise.

Yes something like that, I do want a mid range portrait lens but I can only get one or the other and i could do with the wide angle zoom.

Anyone having issues with soft focus? I'm convinced I'm getting fewer sharp shots with the 70d than I am with the 600d using the same lens.

Anyone having issues with soft focus? I'm convinced I'm getting fewer sharp shots with the 70d than I am with the 600d using the same lens.

This was something that really worried me about the camera before I bought it. There are lots of reports from Germany and the States regarding it, in fact the 70d owners club on Flickr keeps on going about it. Especially with regards to tamaron. All I can say is that my 60mm f2.8 is pretty much spot on, even wide open as is my sigma 70-300, however my canon 18-135 is almost utterly useless. All I can think is it needs MFA as opposed to it being the cameras fault.

I upgraded from a 550d and so far the camera is far superior than my abilities :)

I have no focus issues with any of my canon lenses on my 650d or 70d
my 7d's were dreadful for focus issues sold them both which solved my issues lol

Pretty sure I'm taking mine back. Did some mfa tonight and still produced inconsistent results. Disappointing.

Pretty sure I'm taking mine back. Did some mfa tonight and still produced inconsistent results. Disappointing.
What lens or lenses are you having trouble with? That was the reason I have sold the 85 1.8 because it wouldnt focus it properly. I had it swapped and things did improve, but not enough to keep the 85, its more accurate in live view af, but thats no help to me.

First question to ask is "What focussing mode are you using?"
I only got my 70D a couple of weeks ago and I took it out to test it using the 15-85 EF-S lens, which I bought second-hand from eBay. No micro focus adjust, everything straight out of the box.
I'm using one shot focus with just the single centre focus point.
First time out I took about 140 shots and not a single one was out of focus, or not focussed where I intended.
It's a bit of a boring subject, but this is my first ever shot with my 70D.
View attachment 12643

Here are a couple of crops from the above:
View attachment 12644
View attachment 12645

Another example, full frame
View attachment 12646

I was focussed on the top of the bollard, which is perfectly sharp, and the boats in the background are OOF.
View attachment 12647

I think these are sharp, as were the other 140 or so images I took that day.

Last edited:
What lens or lenses are you having trouble with? That was the reason I have sold the 85 1.8 because it wouldnt focus it properly. I had it swapped and things did improve, but not enough to keep the 85, its more accurate in live view af, but thats no help to me.

The Canon 17-55mm f2.8. At short distances at f2.8 it appears noticeably softer than live view. I'm taking it back today for an exchange, if I have the same issues again it'll be a refund.

First question to ask is "What focussing mode are you using?"
I only got my 70D a couple of weeks ago and I took it out to test it using the 15-85 EF-S lens, which I bought second-hand from eBay. No micro focus adjust, everything straight out of the box.
I'm using one shot focus with just the single centre focus point.
First time out I took about 140 shots and not a single one was out of focus, or not focussed where I intended.
It's a bit of a boring subject, but this is my first ever shot with my 70D.

I think these are sharp, as were the other 140 or so images I took that day.

Using one shot, single point AF (the centre point). Yours looks nice and sharp. Shot for shot, I rarely got anything that was as sharp as my 600D

Back