Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Hi Michael, let me know how you get on with that adapter, I was thinking of getting a non canon one
As for the replacement knowing canon anyone's guess :)

A few month's down the line and my M kit is a first choice everytime.

Spent September with it across Europe other than battery life but took 2 extras with me.

As others have said, the 22 pancakebis a fabulous lens.

Witb Argos restocked I have taken the plunge and ordered another M for collection in the morning (Red version this time) so will ise them as a pair with one carrging the 22mm or 40mm pancakes. For longer reach I have the 55 - 250mm and ultra wide wide, the EF-S 10-18mm. All lenses are STM which are nice and silent making the whole kit vpact. The 55-250 STM is grest on the M.

At some time it will be nice to test the new EF-S 24MM Pancake STM against the M 22mm. I have a feeling the 22mm will stesl the lead easily.

The new M (M3?) will ne interesting in how much change it will bear. (wifi, more megapixels etc)

I covered the wifi thing with a Toshiba Air SD Card feeding into my 32Gb IPad Air.

All goes well into my canvas messenger bag and all so easy.

Steve

Last edited:
Have been reading this thread with interest. Am currently without an SLR at the moment, but do have a couple of canon lenses still. Thinking at £199 it's worth a punt.

Have been reading this thread with interest. Am currently without an SLR at the moment, but do have a couple of canon lenses still. Thinking at £199 it's worth a punt.

Just remember you need to add another sum of money for the EF to EF-M adapter for any EF and/or EF-S lenses you need to mount on the M

There are 3rd party adaptors as well as the original Canon one.

I find the original with it's removable tripod mount very stable when using heavierlens as it seems to take the stress off the camera's mount and has, IMHO, better balance. There are 3rd parth adapters with tripod mounts.

Collected my red M today and sold my 450D locally this evening. So will run 2x Ms now.

Steve

Just remember you need to add another sum of money for the EF to EF-M adapter for any EF and/or EF-S lenses you need to mount on the M

There are 3rd party adaptors as well as the original Canon one.

I find the original with it's removable tripod mount very stable when using heavierlens as it seems to take the stress off the camera's mount and has, IMHO, better balance. There are 3rd parth adapters with tripod mounts.

Have been looking at the adapters. Have you tried a 3rd party mounts? The more I read about the camera the more I think for £300 including the mount, what is there to lose!!

Got the red EOS M..... Think I am mad but time will tell whether havin 2 EOS Ms make sense. But swapping lens when out in the field will no longer be an issue. Thats my excuse anf I am standing by it!

So tempted with one of these £199 at Argos,if I get an adapter can I use a fisheye lens on it such as the samyang 8mm.Also can you focus with the shutter button or do you have to tap the screen to focus.
Cheers Andy

So tempted with one of these £199 at Argos,if I get an adapter can I use a fisheye lens on it such as the samyang 8mm.Also can you focus with the shutter button or do you have to tap the screen to focus.
Cheers Andy

The sensor is from a 600D so any lens made for a crop sensor is 'native' to it, and all my EF lenses work on the M. MPB's video of their day in London showed an M with their £99K 1200mm attached.

The touch screen function is selectable. When I have the longer lenses on a tripod (70-300 IS) or UWA (10-22mm) I select to go with an RC-6 remote. The full manual on the CD has an entry to show settings to fire up the M IR function. Its in the self timer selection on the menu.

Tapping the screen with trigger the shutter. Might be my sausage fingers as I cannot focus with the touch screen. Others may have a different experience. At £199.99 the basic set is a steal and currengly Argos have sll 4 finishes

Black
Red
White
Silver.

Steve

Had a brief play indoors and fairly low light with the meike adapter with my 40mm and little sigma 50-200. A very acceptable performance af speed wise. Better than I was expecting. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to give it more testing.

It is a surprising performer.

I tried mine out with a newly acquired EF-S 15-85mm today

Superb focussing speed and resolution. Bit heavy so getting the monopod out tomorrow.

It is a surprising performer.

I tried mine out with a newly acquired EF-S 15-85mm today

Superb focussing speed and resolution. Bit heavy so getting the monopod out tomorrow.

Sounds a nice combo. Of my lenses I have a 200mm 2.8 (with dodgy af) and a 50-500 sigma. Will be interesting to see how well I can mf my 200mm. Also got access to my dads 17-40 and 60mm macro.

Sounds a nice combo. Of my lenses I have a 200mm 2.8 (with dodgy af) and a 50-500 sigma. Will be interesting to see how well I can mf my 200mm. Also got access to my dads 17-40 and 60mm macro.

The EF-S 60mm macro works really well on the M. Its not a lens I use very often but will stick it on the M now I have 2 Ms.

Steve

Been using the 35mm F2 IS with the Canon adaptor on my M, well pleased with the output so far and really liking the touch to focus. Need to make some more time to play with it and upload some shots, hopefully this weekend!

Just seen this...

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/11/a-real-eos-m-replacement-coming-soon-cr1/

Have to wait and see I suppose, there were rumours of a new model being announced at Photokina (maybe 2) back in September, but nothing materialised..

The Canon EOS M2 is available from Hong Kong, digital rev and one stop digital are offering packages. It's got an updated sensor and autofocus system, which is better than the EOS M by all accounts, but not as good as it could have possibly been. It's not being sold in the US or Europe yet because the manufacturer wants to deplete stocks of the EOS M, hence only available in Asia.

Was very tempted today to buy one from Argos, but would I use it? Have a 70D, 1D and sony compact so would it get any use? Main interests are wildlife, aviation and Motorsport, although dabble with landscapes, cityscapes and street photography

The Canon EOS M2 is available from Hong Kong, digital rev and one stop digital are offering packages. It's got an updated sensor and autofocus system, which is better than the EOS M by all accounts, but not as good as it could have possibly been. It's not being sold in the US or Europe yet because the manufacturer wants to deplete stocks of the EOS M, hence only available in Asia.
Yeah more of an incremental update rather than a jump forward. Hopefully Canon can deliver something more interesting in the near future...

Was very tempted today to buy one from Argos, but would I use it? Have a 70D, 1D and sony compact so would it get any use? Main interests are wildlife, aviation and Motorsport, although dabble with landscapes, cityscapes and street photography
You might use it for landscapes, cityscapes (they do a nice wide angle in the EF-M mount to make a great little landscape package). Probably not so good for the former three areas which likely rely heavily on autofocus and high frame rates. At the price it is though it's a very portable backup body or carry about, and i think everyone should get one :)

Yeah more of an incremental update rather than a jump forward. Hopefully Canon can deliver something more interesting in the near future...

The rumoured M3 needs to take advantage of some of the improved areas of the current DSLR range. (newer sensor, later processor. Perhaps a multi purpose interface like a lightning socket). There are limits in the space available within the current body size and, for me, the weight is perfect.

Essentially I would want a stepchange in a newer model but that it not compromise how the current model just works.

Not sure if I am breaking any rules here by posting three times in a row but I've just updated my blog with my thoughts on using the EOS-M for macro work. Hopefully it will be of interest to someone...

http://timgarlick.co.uk/canon-eos-m-for-macro/#more-1281

Wow time!

Not sure I could do similar with my EF-S 60mm macro but I played around with 2x 90EX on some stsmps I will be selling at auction. Usdd manual mode and 2 tripods for the 90s with Yongnuo 603 triggers (3)

Not got what I want yet. (print abberations within the stamps) so will try ttl ia using some 622 ettl triggers to see what comes out.

Not insects but a bit of a departure for me and out of my comfort zone!

Wow time!

Not sure I could do similar with my EF-S 60mm macro but I played around with 2x 90EX on some stsmps I will be selling at auction. Usdd manual mode and 2 tripods for the 90s with Yongnuo 603 triggers (3)

Not got what I want yet. (print abberations within the stamps) so will try ttl ia using some 622 ettl triggers to see what comes out.

Not insects but a bit of a departure for me and out of my comfort zone!
Thanks, yeah I was particularly impressed by the flash control capabilities of the 90ex. It made my ST-E2 obsolete. I was hoping I would be able to use my 90ex alongside another flash, but it seems it can only act as the trigger. I'm still trying to figure out how I can use 2 90ex's to make a poor mans MT24-EX.

Good luck with the stamp shots. For macro work you usually get the best results by getting good diffusion, so a small soft box may do the job..

Thanks, yeah I was particularly impressed by the flash control capabilities of the 90ex. It made my ST-E2 obsolete. I was hoping I would be able to use my 90ex alongside another flash, but it seems it can only act as the trigger. I'm still trying to figure out how I can use 2 90ex's to make a poor mans MT24-EX.

Good luck with the stamp shots. For macro work you usually get the best results by getting good diffusion, so a small soft box may do the job..

Have done the diffuser by cutting up a cheapo stoffen push on I got for £2.

For me it's a time thing as I have some projects I am involved with.

Thanks for your input and good luck with you trip. I spent nearly all of September with my M kit in Europe and it's pretty much my first choice kit now

Not sure if I am breaking any rules here by posting three times in a row but I've just updated my blog with my thoughts on using the EOS-M for macro work. Hopefully it will be of interest to someone...

http://timgarlick.co.uk/canon-eos-m-for-macro/

Some great images there mate, your M macro images are outstanding, and thanks for sharing your setup.

One thing that i can't get my head round is how you made the bracket for the flash.

Lacking any skills to shape or machine acrylic, I came up with a solution based on a filter mount from a cheap UV filter (glass removed), a small aluminum plate (bent into shape with a hammer) and some industrial strength metal glue with a covering of thermal plastic to hold it all together.

Could you post a close up of how you did this please, thanks.

Just got my canon adapter this morning from from a seller on ebay (£59.99 with free next day delivery) and have a 100mm L macro lens will have a play with it over the next couple of days see what i can do with it, now into the shed to do something with mount for the 90ex :)

One thing that i can't get my head round is how you made the bracket for the flash.

Could you post a close up of how you did this please, thanks.
Thanks. I took some images of the various components when I was putting it all together so will dig them out. It's no great feat of engineering but happy to share...

I think these compact type cameras, be they system or straight compacts, all have a strength so, if you have the money, why not? You can't take it with you!

I've not taken the 22mm off my M since i got it :)

Apart from today, when i went out with my 40mm STM attached :)

That's what makes them soo tempting! Just trying to decide if it will compliment my RX100m2 or replace it.

Just do it you won't regret it ;)

Last edited:
That's what makes them soo tempting! Just trying to decide if it will compliment my RX100m2 or replace it.

Either way, you'll get a nice bit of kit and you can decide if you need to flog something else... You can't take it with you is my new motto! :woot:

Either way, you'll get a nice bit of kit and you can decide if you need to flog something else... You can't take it with you is my new motto! :woot:
I've used that motto plenty of times!!

Right ok going to give an M a try!

Have been looking at wide angle lenses for the M but the purpose built wide angle looks quite pricey. A canon 10-18 and an adapter works out cheaper at the moment!

Back