Canon EOS M Series Cameras

I think I may HAVE to buy one on Friday. :D

Will probably add the 22mm after the new year once all the postage gets back to normal etc.

Does anyone use one with old m42 lenses? If so which adapter is recommended? Is there one that is better?

Will probably add the 22mm after the new year once all the postage gets back to normal etc.

Does anyone use one with old m42 lenses? If so which adapter is recommended? Is there one that is better?

You won't regret it, it's a superb camera especially at the current price (I paid a good deal more for mine). I am continually battling not to buy another one... Must resist!

You won't regret it, it's a superb camera especially at the current price (I paid a good deal more for mine). I am continually battling not to buy another one... Must resist!

Same here, i think i will probably succumb when i get my Christmas work bonus :D

Same here, i think i will probably succumb when i get my Christmas work bonus :D

Can't be much stock left with us all buying them up!!! Lol.

lol, I've only had mine a month or so and nearly bought a second a couple of times :)

Hoping the M3 comes out soon and it's a worthwhile upgrade. I love the small form factor and the lenses are great. Best purchase I've made all year thanks to this thread.

I bought tbe black from Argos as tbat was all that was available.

The latest stock includes the red one so got it as a permanent home for the 22mm

Steve

Last edited:
Ive seen one with an add on grip. Looked funky but a bit pointless.

I like how smart the lenses look. Very Sigma Art.

Anyone got a silver one? Is it a nice colour? Would be silver or black for me.

I quite like the silicone case. I find it much easier to grip, especially when I have it in a coat pocket when out and about, It is a complete pain though when using a tripod.

The other option that's tempting is this grip. Has anyone tried it?

This little camera has got quite a following now. So glad I took the leap with it. Almost didn't with all the reviews of it.

I quite like the silicone case. I find it much easier to grip, especially when I have it in a coat pocket when out and about, It is a complete pain though when using a tripod.

The other option that's tempting is this grip. Has anyone tried it?
Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh on the case and should give it another go. Definitely agree bout tripod use with the case.

I have been using M42 lenses on my 7D and my previously owned 450D for quite a few years, so have a number of EOS to M42 adapters, both chipped and un-chipped. However, I have found that the chipped adapters will not work on the EOS-M, it just shows "ERROR" on the screen. If you already own an EF to M adapter, then just get the cheapest flanged EOS to M42 adapter you can find. If you don't have the EF adapter, then just do a search and see what adapters are available for M42 to EOS-M.

I emphasised "flanged" because some M42 lenses have a pin which has to be pushed in to operate the aperture on the lens. I would recommend flanged because they will work on all M42 lenses.

Hope this makes sense.:)

My 22mm lens arrived today. I only managed to get out later on when the light was poor, so my keeper rate wasn't very high (missed the IS on the kit lens) but first impressions are excellent. Best £50 I've spent in a long time!

My 22mm lens arrived today. I only managed to get out later on when the light was poor, so my keeper rate wasn't very high (missed the IS on the kit lens) but first impressions are excellent. Best £50 I've spent in a long time!
It's a great add on to the camera, love the size of it all, and because no zoom on it, have to be a bit more creative.

It's a great add on to the camera, love the size of it all, and because no zoom on it, have to be a bit more creative.

Yes, it makes you think more about composition, which I like (and it gives your legs a good work-out too!)

Which SD cards are people using? I bought a 16GB Sandisk Ultra x30 from Amazon the other day and I've had to send it back because I keep getting corrupted files on it. Tried a low-level format, but no dice. I've taken the punt one of these:

Transcend 32GB Premium SDHC Class 10 UHS-I 300x Memory Card https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B1862ZW/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_gNZKub0KSWB49

It's only a quid or so more than the Sandisk card; twice the capacity and higher speed. Never used Transcend before though, so we'll see.

I'm using a toshiba flash air card in mine, as I believe a few others are as well. I've found it pretty good so far and adds wireless capabilities if needed. Although I haven't used it as much as I thought I would. (The wireless that is!!)

Wow, they are very reasonably priced. I'll have to grab one of those once Christmas is out of the way.

Wow, they are very reasonably priced. I'll have to grab one of those once Christmas is out of the way.
I've found mine to be good. When you get it, there's a picture on the card, and I believe if you protect that picture it disables the wireless, thus saving battery life! Unprotect the picture and it turns wireless on (I think that's correct!!).

How many raw images are you guys getting on a 16gb card? I have a spare 8gb but I'm thinking I'll either need more cards or a bigger one!

I'm using a toshiba flash air card in mine, as I believe a few others are as well. I've found it pretty good so far and adds wireless capabilities if needed. Although I haven't used it as much as I thought I would. (The wireless that is!!)

As mentioned earlier I have a Flashair card and use it alongside my IPad Air. Really good to review pics on the fly! Got a 64Gb Transcend too which is mainly for my video trials!

Steve

How many raw images are you guys getting on a 16gb card? I have a spare 8gb but I'm thinking I'll either need more cards or a bigger one!

IIRC I was getting either 460 or 500 Raw (only) files on a 16GB card. I'd check for you but the card is all packaged up ready to be sent back to Amazon.

Got a 64Gb Transcend too which is mainly for my video trials!

Good to hear of another Transcend user.

IIRC I was getting either 460 or 500 Raw (only) files on a 16GB card. I'd check for you but the card is all packaged up ready to be sent back to Amazon.

Good to hear of another Transcend user.

Cheap and cheerfull and plenty fast enough.

It was a My Memory special a while back. I think it was £20.99 delivered.

Steve

Unfortunately I can't answer as haven't been far enough away from laptop to worry bout space yet. I always try and use minimum 16gb card. Don't think I've ever run out.

I avoid buying cards from amazon after their issues with fakes. I use sevendayshop or picstop, never had any issues. As for the card I bought, sandisk extreme pro.

I've just seen on another forum that the 22mm is listed on Amazon.com as Old Model.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-M-Compact-System-MODEL/dp/B008NF8BRI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418979512&sr=8-1&keywords=canon 22mm

I guess it could be an error, but it could maybe be something to do with a faster newer model coming out to compliment a faster M3? (okay, it's a reach and maybe just me hoping).

One thing that did strike me was the price difference. 22mm on Amazon UK £169.00. On USA $103.82 (£66), roughly the same as on import here I guess. I then had a look at the new EF-S 24mm price (want one for the Missus). UK £171.99, USA $149 (£95). The best price I could see via import on eBay was £126 so I think I'll wait for prices to drop here before buying.

Last edited:
I've just seen on another forum that the 22mm is listed on Amazon.com as Old Model.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-M-Compact-System-MODEL/dp/B008NF8BRI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418979512&sr=8-1&keywords=canon 22mm

I guess it could be an error, but it could maybe be something to do with a faster newer model coming out to compliment a faster M3? (okay, it's a reach and maybe just me hoping).

One thing that did strike me was the price difference. 22mm on Amazon UK £169.00. On USA $103.82 (£66), roughly the same as on import here I guess. I then had a look at the new EF-S 24mm price (want one for the Missus). UK £171.99, USA $149 (£95). The best price I could see via import on eBay was £126 so I think I'll wait for prices to drop here before buying.

Strange to call it an "Old" model when there is not, as yet, a "new" model.

It would be interesting if Canon could get much more light through the current 22mm lens. F1.8 could be a target but to what end? A largerens/barrel and the current form lost? At what price.? The attraction of the current killer price of the kit might be lost chasing a dragon of wider aperture/IQ

In the case of an M3 release, there has been a short "wish list" earlier in the thread. I certainly have listed mine but whilst dreaming is one thing the bottom line is how nuch better can it realistically get?

The 22mm pancake is a fantastic lens for the price and at the £55-80 mark on EBay even more so.

To take an analagous viewpoint, I have an original EF 50mm f/1.8 mk 1 and a newer plastic mk2. For 98% of shots when I do comparisons on my DSLR I cannot see any difference in image results. Yet the mk 1 on my EOS 3 film camera produces deeper colours than the mk 2 on the same camera on the same roll of film??

So if/when a "new" 22mm M lens arrives, it is going to have to be one hell of a lens to be worth buying over the current one. Then at what price?

As I have said earlier in the thread, it is entirely possible that s cogent M3 with new M lenses added to the range could see me selling off my DSLR kit.

Now with my knee damage I am stuffed getting out and about so my kit is clean as a new pin :-(

Steve

Strange to call it an "Old" model when there is not, as yet, a "new" model.

It would be interesting if Canon could get much more light through the current 22mm lens. F1.8 could be a target but to what end? A largerens/barrel and the current form lost? At what price.? The attraction of the current killer price of the kit might be lost chasing a dragon of wider aperture/IQ

In the case of an M3 release, there has been a short "wish list" earlier in the thread. I certainly have listed mine but whilst dreaming is one thing the bottom line is how nuch better can it realistically get?

The 22mm pancake is a fantastic lens for the price and at the £55-80 mark on EBay even more so.

To take an analagous viewpoint, I have an original EF 50mm f/1.8 mk 1 and a newer plastic mk2. For 98% of shots when I do comparisons on my DSLR I cannot see any difference in image results. Yet the mk 1 on my EOS 3 film camera produces deeper colours than the mk 2 on the same camera on the same roll of film??

So if/when a "new" 22mm M lens arrives, it is going to have to be one hell of a lens to be worth buying over the current one. Then at what price?

As I have said earlier in the thread, it is entirely possible that s cogent M3 with new M lenses added to the range could see me selling off my DSLR kit.

Now with my knee damage I am stuffed getting out and about so my kit is clean as a new pin :-(

Steve

My thought on a reason for a new 22mm was faster AF to compliment a faster M3. To me it makes sense that this will be an area that Canon focus on as it got so much bad publicity on the first M. I agree with you completely, the 22mm is just great and I can't see me buying a newer model for any reason. But I would buy the M3 if it's a descent upgrade.

The M is now my only camera. I had to sell my 7d and expensive lenses in the Summer due to financial reasons. When my finances recovered the plan was to get a 5d III or maybe a Sony A7r but I couldn't decide which route to take. I bought the M as a stop gap (so cheap) while I decided on where to spend my money.

What I've found is I prefer the M to my old set-up, and I'm getting better results, so I'm sticking with this format. I shoot mainly landscape so don't need insane AF or 10 FPS shooting speeds. I would like a few more features though (option for EVF/OVF, tethering, better grip etc). If Canon don't release a higher spec M3 I'll still stick with the M but maybe get a M2 as well, just for the tethering. I'm also tempted to have my current M converted to IR when I get another.

Don't envy you with the knee problems. I smashed mine 20 years ago and remember it well. Hope it heels quickly mate.

Last edited:
My thought on a reason for a new 22mm was faster AF to compliment a faster M3. To me it makes sense that this will be an area that Canon focus on as it got so much bad publicity on the first M. I agree with you completely, the 22mm is just great and I can't see me buying a newer model for any reason. But I would buy the M3 if it's a descent upgrade.

The M is now my only camera. I had to sell my 7d and expensive lenses in the Summer due to financial reasons. When my finances recovered the plan was to get a 5d III or maybe a Sony A7r but I couldn't decide which route to take. I bought the M as a stop gap (so cheap) while I decided on where to spend my money.

What I've found is I prefer the M to my old set-up, and I'm getting better results, so I'm sticking with this format. I shoot mainly landscape so don't need insane AF or 10 FPS shooting speeds. I would like a few more features though (option for EVF/OVF, tethering, better grip etc). If Canon don't release a higher spec M3 I'll still stick with the M but maybe get a M2 as well, just for the tethering. I'm also tempted to have my current M converted to IR when I get another.

Don't envy you with the knee problems. I smashed mine 20 years ago and remember it well. Hope it heels quickly mate.

Don't disagree on the AF issue but it certainly improved with the later fiirmware upgrade. For 95% of my needs the current M set up handles my needs. An M3 will need a few 'must haves' which, if added into the pre-release blurb wìll drive me to the pre-order and a sale of my DSLR kit.

I am comfortable with the weight of my kit bag with the lighter EF-S STM lenses but the M kit alone is a breeze even with two M bodies. Quite a few people are finding the M a big difference from their DSLR kit.

I am nust lookkng forward to getting mobile again. Cannot take anymore pics of the Xmas fruit bowl.....

Steve

Back