Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Don't disagree on the AF issue but it certainly improved with the later fiirmware upgrade. For 95% of my needs the current M set up handles my needs. An M3 will need a few 'must haves' which, if added into the pre-release blurb wìll drive me to the pre-order and a sale of my DSLR kit.

I am comfortable with the weight of my kit bag with the lighter EF-S STM lenses but the M kit alone is a breeze even with two M bodies. Quite a few people are finding the M a big difference from their DSLR kit.

I am nust lookkng forward to getting mobile again. Cannot take anymore pics of the Xmas fruit bowl.....

Steve

The Missus has a 100d with the standard 18-55 and 55-250 STM's, along with the nifty and 40mm pancake. She also has a Manfrotto 190. This was such a light and compact kit compared to my old 7d and heavy lenses set-up, I was quite jealous sometimes when we were trekking miles with all our gear.

Last weekend was the first time we went miles with new kit. A tiny light bag with my M, 22mm and 18-55. A polariser and a 10 stop with a few batteries and a light travel tripod. I felt very smug ;)

Luckily she still prefers her DSLR to my M (and is looking forward to getting her 10-18 STM for Xmas)

The Missus has a 100d with the standard 18-55 and 55-250 STM's, along with the nifty and 40mm pancake. She also has a Manfrotto 190. This was such a light and compact kit compared to my old 7d and heavy lenses set-up, I was quite jealous sometimes when we were trekking miles with all our gear.

Last weekend was the first time we went miles with new kit. A tiny light bag with my M, 22mm and 18-55. A polariser and a 10 stop with a few batteries and a light travel tripod. I felt very smug ;)

Luckily she still prefers her DSLR to my M (and is looking forward to getting her 10-18 STM for Xmas)

The 10-18 is nice on the M as is the 55-250 STM.

I am going to try my eldest son's 85mm f/1.8 on my M for xmas day shots of the grandchildren. It's a lens I have wanted for some time but I still use my Pentax M 50mm f/1.2 on my LX for ambient light shots with 35mm. The M is challenging me in that area so much that my full Pentax kit may be on it's way soon too.

The benefit of your wife's 100D is your extra supply of batteries for your M from her bag!!!

I have a very lightweight Velbon tripod but it's not stable enough for me, so might need to look into other options on that front.

Steve

You might find it a bit big for an m system! I have a jackpack 4000 for my lightweight 5d kit and can squeeze in 5dmkii body 50mm f1.4, 35mm f2, 85mm f1.8 and a sigma flash gun!

Might be ideal for a crossover kit of mixed EF-S and EF-M for more than a walkabout M system.

I have a small waterproof canvas messenger bag with straps underneath for a lightweight tripod whivh is perfect for the 2 M bodies kit 18-55 and 22mm. I can put the 10-18 and 55-250 in their pouches but try not to. There is room for batteries and, generally, I take the 270EX in place of the 90EX. It worked for my European trip in September.

The JackPack 5500 may be good for the times I need to carry more kit. Very cheap at the moment though other colours are more expensive.

Overall though I am finding 'lighter' is the way to go. The M System raison d'etre.

Steve

Good points, the jackpack I have is definitely a nicely made piece of kit so I'm sure you will be pleased!

You might find it a bit big for an m system! I have a jackpack 4000 for my lightweight 5d kit and can squeeze in 5dmkii body 50mm f1.4, 35mm f2, 85mm f1.8 and a sigma flash gun!

Just open the box and loaded the crumpler jackpack with Canon EOS M, 18-55mm, 20mm and 11-22mm. The flash, end caps, battery and a gorillapod with ball head and it all fits in perfectly. Actually an ideal bag for the Canon EOS M, and there abit of space but not a great deal for a couple of other bits.

Well, I have bad news regarding my Canon eos M. It seems as though the issue I reported earlier with the SD card was not limited to the Sandisk card; it now appears to be doing the same thing (writing corrupted images) to a different card. This happens when recording RAW only. Time to send it back. I just hope to b*ggery that there is an Argos store with stock near me :crying:

Well, I have bad news regarding my Canon eos M. It seems as though the issue I reported earlier with the SD card was not limited to the Sandisk card; it now appears to be doing the same thing (writing corrupted images) to a different card. This happens when recording RAW only. Time to send it back. I just hope to b*ggery that there is an Argos store with stock near me :crying:

Sorry to hear you have this issue.

Did you order online and have it delivered or did you collect from an Argos store?

Sorry to hear you have this issue.

Did you order online and have it delivered or did you collect from an Argos store?

Collected from a store. Fortunately there are a few near me and one of them seems to have stock.

Well, I've just stuck the card in a card reader and it seemed to fish everything off ok, as opposed to doing it via the USB connection. I was using a slow card today as my Transcend card still hasn't turned up (bloddy Amazon Prime :mad:)

I'm not to sure what to do now. Maybe I should wait and test it thoroughly with the new card before sending it back? But then I may miss out on a replacement as everyone will be out shopping tomorrow. To be fair it did play up with a brand new Sandisk Extreme card. And it didn't go into PC mode a couple of times earlier whilst trying to transfer images. Arrgh! :banghead:

What should I do??

Last edited:
It could be a dodgy USB cable. Then again it could be a dodgy USB port.

If it was me I'd take it straight back demanding a new one. It's excluded from their 30 day promise but that shouldn't matter on an item bought faulty.

Yes, I'm thinking the same. For peace of mind if nothing else. I'd hate to be carrying a camera that I don't trust.

Have you got another micro USB change you could try out

Yes, I'm thinking the same. For peace of mind if nothing else. I'd hate to be carrying a camera that I don't trust.

Just take it back as faulty and change it. I have never had any problem with Argos (or Homebase which is part of the same group/company)

Steve

Last edited:
Have you got another micro USB change you could try out

Yep, tried a couple of different cables, so the issue must have been related to the camera.

Just been and swapped it out. I have to say, although I'm not a big Argos fan, they were very good and swapped it out without any quibbles. For once I'm glad I bought in-store.

Last edited:

I bought a Lowepro Streamline 100, and although I can fit in the kit lens, the 22mm, flash and two batteries, it is a bit of a squeeze. It was only a tenner though! (reduced from £30) However, it's perfect for street photography and it doesn't look like a camera bag (more of a nappy bag as my wife pointed out lol!). I'm trying to avoid lugging a lot of gear around, but something that holds a tripod would be useful, so maybe I'll check out the Jackpack.

Hi, I've been without a camera for 18 months after selling my 60D and collection of lenses to buy a house.

So I've decided to jump back into photography and missed it so much. Have taken advantage of the EOS M at £199.99 from Argos.

I've kept a few odd bits including a lowepro bag but it's a large backpack. Can anyone recommend a small bag for the M + 18-55 + flash and the potential to carry another lens and a few other bits like batteries, memory cards.

Hi, I've been without a camera for 18 months after selling my 60D and collection of lenses to buy a house.

So I've decided to jump back into photography and missed it so much. Have taken advantage of the EOS M at £199.99 from Argos.

I've kept a few odd bits including a lowepro bag but it's a large backpack. Can anyone recommend a small bag for the M + 18-55 + flash and the potential to carry another lens and a few other bits like batteries, memory cards.

This is quite a small canvas messenger bag which I bought off another member through the classified section.

I use it for my M series bodies and kit, incl spare batteries, cards and my ef-s 10-18and 15-85mm .

It has a full length zipped section my IPad air tucks into easily (I use a Toshiba FlashAir Wifi card in the M so reviewing shots is great. I have addes a foam insert so the IPad has an extra layer of protection.

I have used it with my gripped 50D with 18-135mm stm and 10-22mm

The inserts remove easily for other uses.

I like it's retro look, feel and comfort in use.

On the Amazon page dropdown there is a canvas backpack which I bought as a match for my DSLR kit. Again a nice bag but I have not used it since the M has become first choice. These BESTEK bags are good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FWMSLJI/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_lABLub0WDJ22P

Good luck with the M.

I am a bit laid up since damaging my knee recently but hope to get out tomorrow weather willing and with a bit of help. Need to try out the M again.

Steve

Last edited:
I've got that Bestek bag, it's very good for the price.

Just found the "canon ef-m 22mm" group on Flickr. Some good pics in there, showing what this great bit of kit is capable of.

I quite fancied the M 22mm, but sadly it doesn't have IS and my weary old bones are getting a bit shaky. Besides, I have a number of wide manual lenses, which work very well on the M.:)

I quite fancied the M 22mm, but sadly it doesn't have IS and my weary old bones are getting a bit shaky. Besides, I have a number of wide manual lenses, which work very well on the M.:)

Have to be honest, the 22mm is fast enough to not really need IS for my needs. How did we manage in the 'old days' without it?

I have loads of Pentax M glass and Canon conveeters. Will give them a go when I am a bit more able to get around.

This morning was a bust for me getting out and about sadly.

Steve

Have to be honest, the 22mm is fast enough to not really need IS for my needs. How did we manage in the 'old days' without it?

I have loads of Pentax M glass and Canon conveeters. Will give them a go when I am a bit more able to get around.

This morning was a bust for me getting out and about sadly.

Steve

I have used my M42 lenses on the M, but only with the none chipped adapters. If you try using the chipped adapter, you get an "error" warning on the screen.

I have used my M42 lenses on the M, but only with the none chipped adapters. If you try using the chipped adapter, you get an "error" warning on the screen.

My Pentax - EF adaptors work on my 50D but will have to dig them out and see how they go on the M with the Canon EF - EF-M adaptor. I have a Pentax 50mm M f/1.2 prime which lives on my LX body and is really good on the 50D.

That said the 22mm on the EOS-M is such a great combination that I cannot see the use of the 'old glass' as being a bit hobby fun.

Steve

I'm sure this has been covered, I use to have an EFS 55-250 lens for my 60D, would I have to use the adapter to use this? Or can someone point me to the thread .

I'm sure this has been covered, I use to have an EFS 55-250 lens for my 60D, would I have to use the adapter to use this? Or can someone point me to the thread .

Yes you would need the adaptor. I have the EF-S 55-250mm STM version and the Mk 1 version too.

They both work extremely well (the STM edges it in use just) on the EOS M.

I have tried an EF-M 55-200 this afternoon and whilst light and a perfect fit with the EOS M, it lacks a bit of reach compared to the 55-250 but the latter is bigger of course.

S

Last edited:
Taken a punt with an ebay seller claiming to have broken down eos m kits. Won it for £50 so will wait to see.

Taken a punt with an ebay seller claiming to have broken down eos m kits. Won it for £50 so will wait to see.
For the 22mm? I got mine off eBay, from a similar sounding seller. More than happy with it.

Yes you would need the adaptor. I have the EF-S 55-250mm STM version and the Mk 1 version too.

They both work extremely well (the STM edges it in use just) on the EOS M.

I have tried an EF-M 55-200 this afternoon and whilst light and a perfect fit with the EOS M, it lacks a bit of reach compared to the 55-250 but the latter is bigger of course.

S

This is the dilemma I'm facing. I'm lusting after something longer than the kit lens, but I don't want to compromise my compact setup. Similarly, spending £300 odd quid on a lens that only fits one camera is a bit daft. Mind you, I have a full frame dslr, so going down the ef-s route is a non-starter.

What was the canon ef-m 55-200 like in your opinion?

This is the dilemma I'm facing. I'm lusting after something longer than the kit lens, but I don't want to compromise my compact setup. Similarly, spending £300 odd quid on a lens that only fits one camera is a bit daft. Mind you, I have a full frame dslr, so going down the ef-s route is a non-starter.

What was the canon ef-m 55-200 like in your opinion?

I really liked it but the light was useless so the pics were eeslly test shots.

The focus was better than expected, quick and accurate and colours were good and accurate.

I mirrored a few with the EF-S 55-250 STM and although a bigger lens the STM is more plastic than the Mk 1 & 2 (even the mount) but , although minor, the extra 50mm was useful and the focus quick and colours very good.

I feel I will be shifting to the M system but Canon need to look at releasing some longer reach lenses and an M3 that will both inspire current users and take a new fight to Fuji, Sony etc.

The M is great, and like many on the forum who have hit a 'certain' age, we need highest quality kit and, for many, price is not a big issue, but stepping down the weight is an issue as is choice.

Our little M collective here shows that price has a part to play, the £199 Argos price tipped us over and we found a special little system. The 22mm pancake is a surprisingly practical lens with character and gaining a cult following (my second body is now a permanent home for the 22mm.

Canon must support this very flexible system with new lenses etc.

I was with a Fuji user today who hadn't even heard of the M but his choices were very much more than ours. It is that simple. I nearly jumped to Sony in the spring of this year.

Bottom line is the EOS M gains from backward compatibility with the Canon DSLR system which adds a great benefit to current Canon owners but when we (I) have sold off my crop and full frame cameras and want to reinvest the cash into a larger and growing M system, it needs to be more varied, supported with more coming off the drawing boards. If not thereare other makes.

Till then I am converted.

Steve

Zooms like this really don't interest me as they are always going to be to big for the form factor in my opinion. The kit lens is already pushing the limits for me if I want big I have an slr for the m I want more small fast primes.

Zooms like this really don't interest me as they are always going to be to big for the form factor in my opinion. The kit lens is already pushing the limits for me if I want big I have an slr for the m I want more small fast primes.

Agreed generally, especially on the prime front but something like the 70-400 properly done would see the end of my DSLR I believe.

It may be, as alluded to earlier in the thread, I am feeling my age and a lightweight compact kit with options will nudge me into a total switch to a smaller system.

That said there is an array of prime lenses I would love to see.

Steve

Apart from a 3 week holiday when I owned a 100-400mm L I've never owned anything longer than my 70-210mm f4 and the fact I'm happy to live with it's sluggish scaler tux focus motor tells you how often I use it! My 5d generally has a 35mm or 50mm prime on it with the 85 getting used occasionally.

Replicate that with fast(ish) pancakes and I'll by the lot chuck in a 24mm equivalent (could be f4 for all I care) and I'd be sorted for 99% of stuff I shoot.

Last edited:
Back