Canon EOS M Series Cameras

It would complete my M kit and the whole lot wouldn't be much bigger than my 7D and 17-55 f2.8

So much I want at the moment (note the want and not need) ;)

I will sit on my hnds in the hope that canon nnounce some new M lenses with the M3.........

But that size/weight ratio is still temting.....

It's a shame that the Tamron 18-200 isn't on offer anywhere as it would make a great walkabout lens. I haven't read any reviews on it through and I'm always suspicious of very wide range zooms. It's £140 more than the eBay seller's 55-200 though.

My camer gear spending I on hold at the moment. I have more than enough gear and a Taylor 414CE beckons...

a Taylor 414CE beckons...
Nice choice. I was very close to getting a used 914 a few years ago..... In the end I caved and got a new Gibson SWD Standard for pretty much the same money. But it was a very close call.......

Last edited:
Nice choice. I was very close to getting a used 914 a few years ago..... In the end I caved and got a new Gibson SWD Standard for pretty much the same money. But it was a very close call.......
Nice! I already have a dreadnought (Simon & Patrick SP6 Cedar), it's been a faithful servant for more than 15-years, but I've always fancied the 414 Taylor. I have the nod from my finance director, so time to go and find one.

If anyone is considering the 22mm I can recommend the ebay seller aperture-f1.2 who is selling new stock for £76.50 delivered.

I ordered on Wednesday morning and chose the "Collect at Argos" option, I received a text at 2pm today that it was in for collection and collected it on my way home this evening.

Easiest transaction I've had in some time.

Just bought the m with flash and kit lens for £140 2nd hand on ebay.

Have also ordered the official EF adaptor and a 22mm lens for HK for £85 for the two.

Think I might sell on the kit lens and just use the 22mm and my existing EF lenses though.

Can't wait for it to arrive

Finally got my camera delivered today. EBay seller only posted yesterday over a week after I paid. I sent about 4 messages after I paid with no response. They finally got in contact yesterday and said they sent it and only gave me a £20 refund (without me even asking for any refund) for the inconvenience.

Meant my camera, kit lens and flash cost only £120 :)

First impressions are great.

Looking forward to my 22mm lens when it arrives.

Kit lens is actually a lot smaller than I expected so might actually consider keeping it now!

The 22mm is a game changer. It has probably given me more enjoyment/flexibility/mobility/happiness/bang-for-buck than any other piece of photographic equipment. In terms of value for money I don't think it can be beaten.

I'm a bit gutted that the 55-200 listing on eBay has ended. I was very tempted by that. However, there does seem to be a Hong Kong seller listing the 10-22mm for £223. Seems like a good price. Not sure how much I'll use it over the 55-200 though.

Gents - how good a point & shoot camera is the EOS M? I'd really like my wife to have something that would produce good, rather than tolerable images like the panasonic TZ10 she currently uses. Can it do P&S as well as being used intelligently?

I think it's a pretty good P&S camera...

@ancient_mariner click through to my flickr stream and have a look at the images in the comments in this thread:

Weekend Project by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

These were all taken with the EOS-M and Kit lens in its "P" mode. I think these were challenging to get right due to varied lighting conditions and shooting through glass (I was only wanting to record some of the exhibits and wasn't overly worried about the final IQ). In fact I found it quite fun to just do the whole point and click thing, and I suspect the camera did a better job than I would have done in getting good results.

May be worth getting the M2 which apparently has better auto-focus along with a few other minor improvements. It can be picked up fairly cheaply from ebay nowadays. Canon are also rumoured to be announcing the EOS-M3 this coming Friday, so just something to be aware of...

Gents - how good a point & shoot camera is the EOS M? I'd really like my wife to have something that would produce good, rather than tolerable images like the panasonic TZ10 she currently uses. Can it do P&S as well as being used intelligently?

The trouble with using any camera like this as a p&s is that while you improve the quality of the shots you'll get a much greater number of out of focus shots due to the depth of field. If you want a great point and shoot try the s120 powershot really nice quality images and plenty of depth of field to help avoid focussing issues.

I too am tempted to use a system camera, with a small lens on, as a snapshot camera. However they can't really compete, for compactness and zoom range with the 1/1.7“ cameras. Which still let you control exposure, will slip in a pocket, produce pleasing pictures. Raw too. Have a built-in flash. Some, like the LF1, have an EVF. And for most family snapshots you won't be trying to get the most out of the image.

The other way would be to get a RX100 or LX100. More expensive, but fun.

Last edited:
Thanks gents. I'm not seeing the M2 on ebay - maybe there aren't any right now.
The trouble with using any camera like this as a p&s is that while you improve the quality of the shots you'll get a much greater number of out of focus shots due to the depth of field. If you want a great point and shoot try the s120 powershot really nice quality images and plenty of depth of field to help avoid focussing issues.

In the end I talked with her and she doesn't want to have another camera to learn to use, so the idea was a non-starter. As for the powershot, the whole point was to get away from a compact, and as I mentioned, she already has a TZ10 which is close to the peak of image quality from a compact sensor - it will be a LONG time before I'm willing to spend money on a 1/2.3" sensor based camera.

So my Mum bought an EOS M. I couldn't resist an adaptor...

Very hard to use!

So what does that work out to in focal length - 500mmm lens? doubled by the adaptor plus half again by the crop factor of the aps sensor. 1500mm?

So what does that work out to in focal length - 500mmm lens? doubled by the adaptor plus half again by the crop factor of the aps sensor. 1500mm?

Just the adaptor, no convertor - So 800mm. I will try it again when I get my 1.4x back from my friend, that works out to about 1150mm. Not easy handheld, much easier with a proper DSLR.

The Eos-M adaptor has no magnification factor. It simply moves the rear element of an EF or EFs lens forward of the focal plane of the M so that it matches that of an SLR, (i.e.) a 24-105 will still be a 24-105 on the M. (Crop factor still applies as it would on a non FF camera) since the sensor of the M is the same as a crop body.

I may not have put that very eloquently but I think It is right in essence.

Last edited:
The Eos-M adaptor has no magnification factor. It simply moves the rear element of an EF or EFs lens forward of the focal plane of the M so that it matches that of an SLR, (i.e.) a 24-105 will still be a 24-105 on the M. (Crop factor still applies as it would on a non FF camera) since the sensor of the M is the same as a crop body.

I may not have put that very eloquently but I think It is right in essence.

I see, with you now.

Put that on a tripod and use the touch-screen to take images....

MPB had their £99,999 EF 1200mm on an M if i remember rom their video of the London walkabout. Anything is possible!

Last edited:
Thanks gents. I'm not seeing the M2 on ebay - maybe there aren't any right now.

In the end I talked with her and she doesn't want to have another camera to learn to use, so the idea was a non-starter. As for the powershot, the whole point was to get away from a compact, and as I mentioned, she already has a TZ10 which is close to the peak of image quality from a compact sensor - it will be a LONG time before I'm willing to spend money on a 1/2.3" sensor based camera.

Just had a look and there are M2 kits available on EBay

In terms of learning the M, it's internals , menus and functions are straight from the EOS600/650D. With a touchscreen which also wlll release the shutter.Not a lot difference if you already have a Canon xxx series. My sister has a 550D and in less than 5 minutes after picking up my M she was up and shooting using the creative zone Both she and my niece now each have an M with 22mm lens kit. (Thanks to Amazon''s £206 pre xmas deal)

Steve

I had the first opportunity to use my M2 yesterday while I was out walking the dog. I'm impressed, it definitely is a lot faster, especially the focusing. I also found the touchscreen sensitivity is just right, on my M it's too sensitive, resulting in a lot of accidental shots. I had my new 11-22mm fitted, but I haven't had a chance to check the pics I took on my macbook, I thought the edges were a bit soft on some of the pics, but I was shooting using slow shutter speeds, I'll not know for sure until I get a closer look. All and all I'm happy I went for the M2.

Another from my morning walk, this time with kit lens (18-55). It was cold! (Colours not tweaked, no filter just saturation increased by <10%.)

I am even more convinced that I have a good companion for my perambulations. Yes, autofocus is slowish, but coped admirably with this low light.

Sunrise

Picture of the new M3?

http://digicame-info.com/2015/02/eos-m3-1.html

canon_eosm3_f001.jpg

Last edited:
Am liking the look of that very much.

You and I both :)

Hard to tell if it has a tilting screen but it looks like it probably does. Like the grip. Looks like it has some kind of pop-up on the right, EVF? Flash?

I read another rumour that it will actually go on sale this Friday. If true (and the spec is good) then it will have to be quite overpriced for me not to order straight away.

Edit - I think it's a flash. There's a button on the side that looks like a flash button.

Last edited:
Oh I hope it is an EVF. Rumour is they would add an optional one, but that would prevent me using the hot shoe (which I need access to). Although a pop up flash might be handy too, especially if it could act as a master like the 90ex... maybe it's both o_O

Looks good though; now lets see if it's true! I must say I'm not overly convinced....

Edit: OK just seen a black version which adds more support:
get

It does seem to be a pop-up flash based on this...

Not keen on the mode dial either. I never liked it on my 550D and would often change it by mistake. No doubt this issue will be worse on an even smaller body, and I don't really understand why canon felt the need to include this on there. It goes against their "M" philosophy of keeping the size to a minimum, and I'm sure they could have found a better use for that dial. Oh well.. still waiting to see what happens on Friday. IS that a flip out LCD I see?

Last edited:
Comparing to the original M, it's definitely a little taller. Looks about the same width but obviously deeper as well. Wonder if the beefier grip houses a larger battery?

Last edited:
Wonder if the beefier grip houses a larger battery?
Good point, that would be welcome!

Nice macros @postcardcv! What was the lens?

Does anyone know if canon are going with an optional EVF, would it be possible for it to be backwards compatible?

Last edited:
Could even be a pop up viewfinder... anyway I really like it. The grip reminds of the panasonic g5. Now wonder how many pennies are lost down the sofa :naughty:
Haha, reckon there will be a few of us tearing our sofas apart over the next few days.

Comparing to the original M, it's definitely a little taller. Looks about the same width but obviously deeper as well. Wonder if the beefier grip houses a larger battery?
Bigger battery has got to be an essential requirement.

No EVF = I'm not buying one unfortunately.

Thinking maybe a flppy screen looking at the top rear by the strap lug.
Rumours I've seen are its same screen as on the G1X mk2 which does flip

Back