Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Yes, that was a bit frustrating. First time i have tried to upload on the newsite.i will try again later

far too long since I posted to this thread... I am still giving my M regular use and really like it, especially coupled with the 22mm. This weekend I have been trying it with the 40mm f2.8 lens and shooting it through a telescope. Here are a few shots taken this way.

13496804215_8c3e8010e7_o.jpg

13496833505_d0454197b5_o.jpg

13497161744_9b82a296fb_o.jpg

13496909963_11fbf93ae6_o.jpg

13496810835_968c1f40cb_o.jpg

Very nice! Are you attaching the M directly to the scope or using the 40 to digiscope?

I'm very tempted by the M !, some good deals on at the moment :). I have an old 5Dc with a few primes and an L lens. I also have a Fuji X-A1 which is a fantastic shooter with great IQ, but keep wondering what the M would be like ! Eek

You can have mine ! I'm moving on a lot of gear including my eos-m kit. I'll be posting it on here shortly, and it'll be cheap !

Unfortunately I can't see the classifieds as i haven't contributed enough to the forums (though have been a member for a few years). I would have been very interested in your eos m kit :)

So start posting and get onto the classifieds ;-)
Reason I'll be selling cheap is because I dropped it a week after I bought it, so there are a few marks on it. It works perfectly though.

Keep an eye out at Jessops, they occasionally have a deal with a free lens adapter for £ 299, that's where I got mine, lovely little camera, I wanted a second body to go in my bag but didn't want to use up much space, pairs well with my 650D.

Really like mine as well, but will be moving it on very soon as it is too big for what I want as a "pocketable" camera. Use the DSLR whenever I go out specifically for photography and thought I would use this for other times. Unfortunately it still means taking a camera bag which isn't what I want for those non-photographic trips.

Really like mine as well, but will be moving it on very soon as it is too big for what I want as a "pocketable" camera. Use the DSLR whenever I go out specifically for photography and thought I would use this for other times. Unfortunately it still means taking a camera bag which isn't what I want for those non-photographic trips.

I know what you mean but with the 22mm it is a very compact package, I don't think you will get more pocketable without going to a compact which comes with it's own set of issues.

I do still enjoy using the M though it has fallen away slightly as I have been playing with a Fuji mirrorless which is also very good. I will be keeping the M though as it's great with the 22mm and is now my first choice for digiscoping, I am very tempted to get another M and have it converted to IR as I reckon it could be ideal for this. I would love to see a few more native lenses for the system, perhaps an M mount nifty fifty...?

Last edited:
I know what you mean but with the 22mm it is a very compact package, I don't think you will get more pocketable without going to a compact which comes with it's own set of issues.

I do still enjoy using the M though it has fallen away slightly as I have been playing with a Fuji mirrorless which is also very good. I will be keeping the M though as it's great with the 22mm and is now my first choice for digiscoping, I am very tempted to get another M and have it converted to IR as I reckon it could be ideal for this. I would love to see a few more native lenses for the system, perhaps an M mount nifty fifty...?
I do have the 22mm as well as the 18-55mm but the biggest issue I have is not having a viewfinder. For my needs I am considering the new Sony RX100 mkiii, so the sale of the Canon will help fund that :)

There is a new M lens just announced - 50-250 or thereabouts I believe.

Just checked - it's the 50-200.

Last edited:
I do have the 22mm as well as the 18-55mm but the biggest issue I have is not having a viewfinder. For my needs I am considering the new Sony RX100 mkiii, so the sale of the Canon will help fund that :)

There is a new M lens just announced - 50-250 or thereabouts I believe.

Just checked - it's the 50-200.

I had missed that lens being announced, nice to see another native lens launched but it's not one that will send me rushing to the shops. The system really needs a good past standard prime, perhaps I should just buy a 50 f1.8 and us it with the converter.

From what I have read the rx100 mkIII is a cracking camera, I doubt yo would find a better compact.

Well, I went for one ! Eek, £274 from currys, includes camera kit with 18 - 55 is stm lens and ef-m to ef lens converter, also has 2 year warranty, so not bad all in all :). Just toying over whether I've done the right thing, so not yet opened it yet !!

It's a seriously good buy at that price, get yourself the ef-s 55-250mm, it's a great long zoom for the eos m, it's fairly compact, cheap and the quality belies it's price. The 22mm is a lovely little lens as well, iirc the dxo scores for it are on a par with the 24-70L mkii it gets a dxo mark of 21 whereas the L lens scores 27 and it costs £1600 !

Well, I went for one ! Eek, £274 from currys, includes camera kit with 18 - 55 is stm lens and ef-m to ef lens converter, also has 2 year warranty, so not bad all in all :). Just toying over whether I've done the right thing, so not yet opened it yet !!

Give it a go, the M is one camera that just has something about it that grows on you.

Last edited:
Have thought about getting the 22mm if I like the M, can be picked up new for £75. It's still in the box though !! problem is I have a Fuji X-A1, which is a great camera, just convincing myself I need both ! lol

The 22mm is a good all-rounder, but I have been wondering whether the 11-22mm wide angle is worth the £350 or so!

here is the latest addition to our family with the 22mm, still working out the white balance for a white dog. I'll get it right sometime :)
View attachment 15187

Have thought about getting the 22mm if I like the M, can be picked up new for £75. It's still in the box though !! problem is I have a Fuji X-A1, which is a great camera, just convincing myself I need both ! lol

Of course you need both, you can never have too many cameras. I do love shooting with the M and the 22mm it is a great combo - compact, lightweight and delivers great results. I am constantly battling the temptation to buy another one and have it IR converted, shame the conversion is so expensive. I've got to agree about the Fuji too though, that's also a superb camera (I don't think there are many bad mirrorless cameras around) not sure I would want to part with either of them.

I picked up one of these recently along with the 22mm and zoom. Marvellous little thing in my opinion with very solid build and great IQ, even at high ISO shooting RAW. The AF is a little pedestrian for things that move in my opinion, but as long as you know it's (and your own) limitations, it's grand.

I had the 20 1.8 on the m3/4 a while back when I had a gf3, how good is the 22 ? Is AF any faster ?

I had the 20 1.8 on the m3/4 a while back when I had a gf3, how good is the 22 ? Is AF any faster ?
The 22mm is very sharp.Landscapes and portraits all good, especially when you start cropping. The AF is no faster though. Just hoping Canon will sort this out with the M3

I was always a fan of the 20 f1.7 when I was using a Panasonic but I do prefer the Canon 22 f2. In my experience the AF is faster on the Canon (compared to the mki 20mm) and the focus seems more accurate too. When I bought the EOS M I did think about keeping a Panasonic just to use the 20mm but was so impressed with the 22mm that I soon sold my Panasonic.

So start posting and get onto the classifieds ;-)
Reason I'll be selling cheap is because I dropped it a week after I bought it, so there are a few marks on it. It works perfectly though.

If you do decide to sell your M give me a heads up before you post it up as I could well be tempted if I have cash at the time. I would like to pick another up to get IR converted in the future and a cheaper one would be ideal!

Well I joined the club today and got one in a trade and have to say very pleased with it..image quality surprised me and also the build quality,for such a compact camera it feels very solid.Still getting used to it and the touchscreen (which I really like) and looking forward to giving it a good test run at the weekend.Its pretty decent at high iso too..the shot below was at 3200,bit of noise in the shadows but perfectly useable.Having used dp merrills for last few moths I had forgot iso went above 800 lol.

EOS-M iso3200 by StuartHowePhotography, on Flickr

Two good shots there Stuart! The 22mm is certainly very good. I have sold all my DSLR stuff now as this is much better for my needs.
Now looking at whether the two new lenses in the pipeline are worth the money (getting the spending bug again!) :LOL:

Cheers..what new lenses are coming out?

They have the 11-22mm landscape lens, just recently introduced over here & has some good reviews in the US.
Also 55-200mm telephoto, no reviews (from users ) that I can see at the moment. It is being shipped at the moment with 3-5 weeks delivery on Amazon.
If Canon is investing like that, it looks like the updated M will eventually arrive. quite a few rumours on here http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1238507
(hope that link works!!

Back