Canon EOS M Series Cameras

I bought one for the missus on clearance at the Airport Dixons. Compared to my 5DIII it's a little slow focussing, but it was 1/16 of the price. Compared to any compact I've ever used, it's brilliant and it's plenty fast with the latest firmware - a non issue. Where else can you get an APS-C sensor and one of the sharpest 18-55 image stabilised lenses around AND a flash for this kind of money (on clearance). My best photography bargain ever. I love this little camera. I almost didn't buy it because of the reviews on focus speed. I think you just have to put it in context - those reviews were mostly written when this was a £700 camera, and with the original firmware. As a £150 camera - well, let's correct that - as an 18Mp APS-C sensor £30 body, with an £80 lens and a £40 flash, is there anything that it can be faulted for?

I've just had a quick skim through the thread and couldn't see it answered so I thought I would ask.

Has anybody got additional batteries for their M? I'm going on holiday a week today and was thinking id pick up a second 3rd party battery. Normally I would just buy the 7dayshop one but they're out of stock, has anybody else used a different one that is okay?

I have an additional opteka one and just got a maximal power battery 1050amh off amazon which lasts longer than the canon one by quite a bit.

Good stuff, the canon one is only 875 so that would make sense but it's only a small battery so can't ask for too much!

Do you by any chance know what brand it was or is it just a generic plain one?

Last edited:
Fantastic, cheers guys :)

View attachment 17903 Well I'm suitably impressed. Few snaps from my first outing with mine (erm, the wife's) EOS-M while walking the dog this morning. What a great little walkabout camera. The standard zoom is a cracking little lens I think. The camera is plenty responsive for the kind of photography you do when strolling around. It made not a bad job of capturing our lunatic beagle running full tilt at me too. Light was a bit flat this morning, but overall I could not be more pleased with the camera. The menus make it a bit of a faff for accessing photographer modes, but I found I more or less got what I wanted by just using the standard modes (eg, Landscape, Sports, Close-up etc), knowing how those settings would bias the result - and to be honest, for snaps while out and about, that's probably all I'll do unless I find myself with the creative shot of a lifetime and no DSLR with me. The detail from the lens and sensor in LR at 100% is stunning. The only slight weakness I see is a bit of CA (tree against sky etc) and a touch of vignetting (easily fixable).

View attachment 17898#

View attachment 17899 View attachment 17900 View attachment 17901

Damn this thread! I've been umming and aaring about picking one of these up, but eventually decided that for £189 I'd just kick myself if I didn't :D

Not had much chance to play yet, but have ordered a 3rd party EF/S mount so will hopefully take some shots this weekend. Might be going along to Knock Hill for the Touring Cars so that should be a nice challenge!

Considering these we selling (or not!) for over 3x the amount I paid it looks like a real bargain.

I have one now, picked up a mint copy with kit lens and ef/s converter for £155, bargain :)

Trying to find out the shutter count and EOSinfo and EOScamerainfo both fail, anyone else know how to?

Thanks.

worked it out, it's only had 50 actuations lol

I purchased a EOS-M from Argos, what a great piece of kit!

It's perfect for when I don't want to take the 6D out. I only took the M on holiday last week and it didn't let me down at all.

I'm tempted to get the adaptor so I can use my lenses but no rush at the moment.

Here's a couple of tester shots that I'm pretty pleased with: -

EOS M Test by SimonNicholls27, on Flickr

Tortoise by SimonNicholls27, on Flickr

Cheers,
Simon

It does, I've only messed about with so far, but it seems very good as a controller for any other Canon flash or flashes with slave facility. Works well with a 420EX and 430EX off camera, and works with other Canon bodies as well.

Considering it's effectively free in the box, it's a real bargain ;).

I got the kit from Argos (£199) a real steals in my book.

Last edited:
I bought the M kit from Argos last week, for what I think is an excellent price. I have also bought the EOS-M FD adapter to make use of a few of my FD lenses and in particular my 100mm FD macro. I shall also be getting an EF to M adapter, but not quite sure which one to get. It will have to have a built-in tripod fitting for use with heavier lenses.

The image below was one of my first efforts using an FD lens on the "M", a 28mm f 2.8 FD.

IMG_0104 by killwilly, on Flickr

I didnt really make note but I did get over 40 shots more and it still had some life in it.

Well I just had a refurb kit arrive from WEX ... body has 189 actuations and is mint. It came with the 22mm, flash and lens adapter so I can use my 7D lenses.

I must admit I had a change of heart after ordering Sunday and tried to cancel yesterday but couldn't as it had been dispatched, I could have refused delivery but decided to have a look and I have to say, WOW ... what a great little camera. First impressions are very favourable with the 22mm and then I tried my 70-300mm L on it ... absolutely blown away by the sharpness and from what little I have seen it handles noise a lot better than my 7D.

Anyone want to buy a LX5 ;)

Last edited:
Who needs a dslr IQ is great across the board nowadays it's all about functional use and features

Nice shot Michael. I'm off on holiday in two weeks and have decided to leave my 7D at home and will just take my EOS-M and 18-55. I shall also take my 100mm FD macro, that works quite well with an adapter.

Thank you, hows the manual focus with your macro via the adapter? I have a kiron 105 in a bag somewhere, might be worth digging out. Also which adapter did yo7 get?

Thank you, hows the manual focus with your macro via the adapter? I have a kiron 105 in a bag somewhere, might be worth digging out. Also which adapter did yo7 get?

I bought mine from "emilyandlily" on eBay, it cost £11.06, including postage. They only had two when I purchased mine and it would appear that the other one has now been sold.

I like my Canon 100mm macro. It was a Christmas present from my wife in the early 1980's. It is pretty useless on my 7D, but very useable on the EOS-M. The image below is a quick shot I took this morning, not much PP except for converting for Flickr.

IMG_0292 by killwilly, on Flickr

I have had one of these for a while,main downside to me is lack of viewfinder.
I read that a new model is rumored,any chance of it having a viewfinder?

I spent a week with mine on holiday a few weeks back, i really enjoyed using it and has some great IQ. The light weight was a saviour for me, not because i'm lazy of course, but I think lugging a couple of kilos of DSLR in 40 degree heat may have become tiresome! I've not actually got round to editing pictures etc yet but i've been through them and had a look at what i've got. I think i had underestimated just how sturdy the camera is, although small it feels like it's massively solid in the hand which i really liked, only downside was lack of viewfinder in bright sunlight but that was always going to be there.

My only annoyance is the colour reproduction of Lightroom for the CR2 files, the colours look to be about a country mile out compared to the LCD, using the Canon software that came with the camera the colours are spot on again, just a shame I have to learn another system to be happy with the colours. Has anybody found a happy alternative for this problem? I've tried adjusting the Camera profiles in Lightroom but the best i can get is to use the "Landscape" option which buffs the colours up a little but nowhere near as i would like. After several things going on i've actually got some proper time to look into it a little more and may be able to fathom it myself, or just work out how to use the Canon software :LOL:

Yes - there are rumours of two new M type models to come out, both with viewfinders. I would certainly buy one :)

I have looked in the menu,to see which firmware version I have,but I cant find it,the Canon site says it is in the menu,but I cant find it.Any idiot proof ideas?

Am very tempted to buy one of these at the Argos offer price.
Can anyone tell me how quick & accurate they find the autofocus? I'd like a camera I can just slip into a pocket when I go out walking the dogs and hence to use capturing shots of them out & about.
Am I likely to be pleased if I buy it for this purpose?

I have looked in the menu,to see which firmware version I have,but I cant find it,the Canon site says it is in the menu,but I cant find it.Any idiot proof ideas?

Menu/ 4th spanner it's there at the bottom, at least it is on mine.

Can anyone tell me how quick & accurate they find the autofocus? I'd like a camera I can just slip into a pocket when I go out walking the dogs and hence to use capturing shots of them out & about.

It's better since the firmware update, but it's no action camera

For what i use it for it's fine.

Last edited:

I wouldn't rely on it for action.

Oddly enough, my 55-250 autofocus is quicker on my M than my 7D.

I think it is a great little camera. I am able to use "all" of my lenses, including FD, M42 and EF, even the Sigma 150-500. It does does look ridiculous when mounted, but works perfectly.:)

I am off on holiday for a week next Saturday and will be able to travel much lighter with just the M, even though I shall take the 150-500.

Back