Canon EOS M Series Cameras

How is the af of the 150-500 via the adapter. Looking at picking a meike version up before my holiday.

As fast as the 7D. I was going for the meike adapter, but then found a genuine used Canon one at Wex for £65, so bought that instead.

I always find my 55-250 a bit eratic when autofocusing on the 7D, but not on the M, the 150-500 is the same. I'm not quite sure why this is, considering the 7D is supposed to have a sophisticated AF system.

One of the main reasons for getting the M is it's weight. I am starting to suffer with Arthritis in both shoulders and find the 7D quite a lump to carry around all day. I had looked at other mirrorless cameras, i.e. Sony, Pentax etc, but when I saw the special deal at Argos, I just went for it and have not regretted it one bit. Mine came with the 18-55 lens, which is very sharp. With the adapter, it makes a very useful setup, as I explained in my earlier post.

As fast as the 7D. I was going for the meike adapter, but then found a genuine used Canon one at Wex for £65, so bought that instead.

I always find my 55-250 a bit eratic when autofocusing on the 7D, but not on the M, the 150-500 is the same. I'm not quite sure why this is, considering the 7D is supposed to have a sophisticated AF system.

One of the main reasons for getting the M is it's weight. I am starting to suffer with Arthritis in both shoulders and find the 7D quite a lump to carry around all day. I had looked at other mirrorless cameras, i.e. Sony, Pentax etc, but when I saw the special deal at Argos, I just went for it and have not regretted it one bit. Mine came with the 18-55 lens, which is very sharp. With the adapter, it makes a very useful setup, as I explained in my earlier post.

thanks alan, that sounds promising. Used my M at manchester sealife yesterday, using really high iso's. Today 128 pics and a few short videos and it drained a full battery at that. Plenty of pics to go through.

here is a sunset from the isle of wight

august poty entry resize by scilly puffin, on Flickr

I got a £100 in Argos vouchers so could not resist buying a EOS M.

It seems a lot of camera for the price and i am just now charging the battery, so was wondering any tips for setting up that i should be aware of?

Thanks for any advice :>)

Not much really, just turn off the touch screen shooting as it can be a bit annoying and take a little time to get used to the AF. Enjoy :)

My advice, maybe pick up another battery. Other than that, enjoy!

I have mine set up to focus on touch screen but not shutter on touch screen. The grumpy old man in me gets along well with the touch screen focus because if i need to it can just say "i want you to focus on THIS!" and touch the thing on screen :LOL:

I'm having trouble not ordering a 22mm for mine, I've got a hankering for something new and all the SLR gear i want is too expensive. Could somebody tell me that i don't need it and that even at £80 it's too expensive and not worth it?

I got a £100 in Argos vouchers so could not resist buying a EOS M.

It seems a lot of camera for the price and i am just now charging the battery, so was wondering any tips for setting up that i should be aware of?

Thanks for any advice :>)

Stick magic lantern on and disable exposure sim, and enable focus peaking.

I have mine set up to focus on touch screen but not shutter on touch screen. The grumpy old man in me gets along well with the touch screen focus because if i need to it can just say "i want you to focus on THIS!" and touch the thing on screen :LOL:

I'm having trouble not ordering a 22mm for mine, I've got a hankering for something new and all the SLR gear i want is too expensive. Could somebody tell me that i don't need it and that even at £80 it's too expensive and not worth it?

You NEED the 22mm lol seriously though it's a cracking lens and a steal at £80

Last edited:

OK,you dont need it,it wont help in any way,its a waste of money.
So go & buy it(y)

cheers giovanni :mad::LOL: My plan was to get a 22mm and an old 35mm hotshoe viewfinder but i'm buggered if i can find one reasonably priced! Just been looking at lenses, has anybody got the 55-200? Not one i've looked at before but could complete a nice range if needed to travel light :)

I agree with have touch focus but not touch shutter - I have found that with tough shutter the results do not seem to be as good... Possibly a camera shake issue?

As for the 22mm get it ordered you will not regret it. It will be the best £80 you spend on photography gear this year - it is small, light and give great results. It is a lens that makes you want to find ways to use it.

cheers giovanni :mad::LOL: My plan was to get a 22mm and an old 35mm hotshoe viewfinder but i'm buggered if i can find one reasonably priced! Just been looking at lenses, has anybody got the 55-200? Not one i've looked at before but could complete a nice range if needed to travel light :)

Definitely get the 22mm it is superb. Not tried the 55-200 but would also be interested to hear from anyone who has.

Used 22mm on WEX at the moment - http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-used-canon-22mm-f2-stm-pancake-m-mount-lens/p1561454

I rarely use anything but the 22mm on mine - it's such a lovely combination and so small! Why anyone would hesitate at £80 is beyond me ;)

Big thanks to you all for your advice, i have only had a few mins with it but i really like it.

I think it will going to be perfect as a carry anywhere camera, and i am going to get the 22mm next week.

Again thanks.

Love mine, so much I have just ordered the Mrs one from Argos (Although I am pinching the flash), I haven't had much time to play with mine in the two years I have owned it but I am thinking of trying the magic lantern this weekend.

Most of the time I have used mine it is coupled with the Sigma 15mm fish on the EF adapter, its nice but I might get a samyang 8mm to try on it.

This is a quick snap, the only one I had to hand at work.. just missed the focus unfortunately!

eosm.jpg

After reading this I went and got one from Argos on Tuesday. Pretty neat, looking forward to using it..

I got the M with 22mm lens, the EF adapter, the 90EX flash, 32Mg card and a Manfrotto tripod for £349 3 months ago. If you've got Canon lenses then I'd say don't bother with the 18-55mm 'kit' lens as you have probably already got something in you bag to cover this. A small light camera highly spec'ed probably the same as my 600D. Great IQ and low light capability. Cons, still not used to no viewfinder and slow'ish focus when using lenses with the EF adapter.

I got the M with 22mm lens, the EF adapter, the 90EX flash, 32Mg card and a Manfrotto tripod for £349 3 months ago. If you've got Canon lenses then I'd say don't bother with the 18-55mm 'kit' lens as you have probably already got something in you bag to cover this.

I bought the same kit and also thought the same about the kit lens but after a couple of days I bought a cheap 18-55mm off Ebay as it means I can carry the whole lot in a very small bag whereas with a "normal" size kit lens it was just too bulky. Have also purchased the 11-22mm (which is excellent) and was thinking of the 55-200mm but it looks very cheaply made compared to the other M lenses.

Just found out that the little Speedlite 90EX that comes with the EOS-M can function as wireless trigger for my 430 EX II. Bonus!

Last edited:
Like the last one a lot.

The kit I got had the 18-55mm and the 90EX. Will for sure get the EF adaptor and probably the compact 22mm too.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a decent camera strap for the M?

Cheers

It's a neck strap i want, need to make sure it fits the camera lugs on the M, thanks

Do you not like the one that came with the camera?

I bought it off this forum it didn't come with a strap lol

Had my Eosm for about three months now. Just using it's feature's to see what new digital csc systems are like compared to my old SLR EOS stuff.

Like it, got cheapo macro x4 and x2 tele adaptors while I suss out what camera I really want. Probably full frame medium/big tele job.

Great features small package but best out there for the dosh :)

Morning. How would you say this stacks up against a Fuji x20? Be very interested if anyone has both of them and could give a comparison. Thanks

Do you not like the one that came with the camera?

I was wondering the same, but you beat me to asking the question.

I only use my shoulder strap about 40% of the time, the remainder I use a small wrist strap I salvaged from my grey card set.

Thanks for the link Glenn i'm at pains to spend £25 though, so i'll lookout for a unbranded version.

Back