Canon Fisheye on Cropped Body

Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
Considering a fisheye lens for my 450D, with the idea of upgrading to full frame at some point in the future. Ive heard the fisheye effect is less pronounced on the cropped body. Can anyone post up some cropped body images and full frame body ones so I can compare the difference?

Also, those that use them, would you recommend them?

Cheers.

I may be selling mine you are welcome to try it out if you are ever in Herts

Thanks, but im up in Cheshire so trying it could be tricky!

Have you had any decent shots with it?

I shoot full frame but I will ask the wife to take some shots with it and post them later
if you want a fish eye I would be happy to post it

Te get near to the 180 on a crop body without haveing a black circle your going to have to look at a 10mm sigma or tokina the 15mm wont be very fishy atall.

I use a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye and its only really fishy at 10mm i have some example shots floating around if you wanna look.

Ive heard the fisheye effect is less pronounced on the cropped body.
That's only true if you buy a full-frame fisheye lens. If you buy a fisheye lens that's designed for a cropped sensor then the effect is the same.

The Sigma range gives you all the options to consider:
* 4.5mm - circular fisheye image on cropped sensor
* 8mm - circular fisheye image on full-frame sensor
* 10mm - diagonal fisheye image on cropped sensor
* 15mm - diagonal fisheye image on full-frame sensor

(I'm not particularly recommending Sigma here, just using them as an example because they're the only manufacturer who give you all the options.)

I would suggest you opt for the diagonal fisheye rather than the full circular one. It can offer more possibilities The circular one looks fun but I think you'll find it gets boreing after a while.

I'm using the Sigma 15mm on my full frame camera, and the quality is OK. in fact it'd the only non Canon lens in my collection.

If in doubt hire one ( I have no connection with Stewart ) and see what you think. It may confirm it's the right lens for you or a big mistake. A small price to pay

2765338005_0048ee8afd_o.jpg

Is taken with a Sigma 8mm circular fisheye on a D200 (IIRC, could have been the D70) - a 1.5x crop body. On a FF body the circular image is complete.

Not a lens that gets used every day but it's not easy to get the same effect without one! If you want a diagonal fisheye, the circular image can be cropped to suit. I'm glad I have one but even more glad that I managed to get one at a VERY good price here a year or so ago (£220) since the new price is now astronomical and second hand ones seem to be a bit like rocking horse poo!

Thanks guys, yeah it wouldn't be used a great deal but know of some shots I cant take without one. I think i'll have to wait until prices fall slightly or scour the classifieds for one.

Back