Canon ftp over mobile problem

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone send pics via ftp direct from Canon cameras over mobile connection?

I can't get it to work reliably with iPhone. The best results I get are approx 50% successful transmissions, using passive ftp connection, and stopping the mobile screen saver coming on. My problem is only when there is a mobile signal involved. The problem is the same with 1DXM2+wifi adapter and R5. If there is venue wifi, that works fine, even via the iphone hotspot if the phone is connected to the wifi. As a comparison using a laptop with the same mobile transmits no problem.

I've had a series of athletics events where I need to send the pics immediately so it's a pain that I can't get it to work so I'm busy with the card and the laptop during pauses. I've asked Canon and they are sure the cameras are not the problem.

Would be great if anyone has experience or knows the magic ingredient to get it to work.

Hi Tim, I FTP from both 1DXM2 and 1DXM3 via iPhone. Slight difference in that I FTP to my iPad before then uploading via Shuttersnitch.

I don't think this will be the issue but have a look if you have "Maximise Compatibility" switched off on the iPhone personal hotspot page. I had an issue when sporadically both cameras just couldn't see the iPhone hotspot(yet MacBook/iPad could). I just couldn't figure it out and it took Canon Professional Services a while too. Basically the iPhone (with MC switched off) uses the 5ghz frequency and uses a channel range greater than the range that the WFT-E8 is capable of. The iPhone uses an algorithm to select the channel (and can change it whenever it wants) and there's noway on the phone to know which one. The answer was essentially to turn on "MC" - which uses the slower 2.4ghz frequency but means both cameras can always find the hotspot.

like I say not convinced it's the answer to your problem might be worth a look.

Hi Tim, I FTP from both 1DXM2 and 1DXM3 via iPhone. Slight difference in that I FTP to my iPad before then uploading via Shuttersnitch.

I don't think this will be the issue but have a look if you have "Maximise Compatibility" switched off on the iPhone personal hotspot page. I had an issue when sporadically both cameras just couldn't see the iPhone hotspot(yet MacBook/iPad could). I just couldn't figure it out and it took Canon Professional Services a while too. Basically the iPhone (with MC switched off) uses the 5ghz frequency and uses a channel range greater than the range that the WFT-E8 is capable of. The iPhone uses an algorithm to select the channel (and can change it whenever it wants) and there's noway on the phone to know which one. The answer was essentially to turn on "MC" - which uses the slower 2.4ghz frequency but means both cameras can always find the hotspot.

like I say not convinced it's the answer to your problem might be worth a look.
Thanks James, definitely worth a look. I’ve checked my phones and neither have the maximum compatibility option I think because both are too old. I’m going to see if I can borrow a Samsung phone to see if that is any better next. Very puzzling.

Coming back to this in case anyone else is stuck. The solution in my case was to reset the network settings on my iPhone (Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings). Since then ftp transfers are working reliably.

The downside is you lose all your wifi logins and have to re-enter them.

Back