Canon Lens advice

Name
Trev
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey All,

I've decided that I want to buy a Canon 40d and will be needing two lenses, a standard lens (similar range to the 18-55) and a tele lens (up to 200mm). Since I'll be buying it all new I'd like to buy fairly cheap lenses to get me going and replace the panasonic ones I already have for my G1 (LUMIX G VARIO 14-45mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH./MEGA O.I.S. and LUMIX G VARIO 45-200mm/F4.0-5.6/MEGA O.I.S.).

I will probably look to upgrade later but for now I would like to limit my lens purchase to about £500 give or take a bit - any advice / recommendations?

Cheers - Trev

i know you said up to 200 but the sigma 70-300apo is about £180 new which is very good (i have one but rarely use it tbh) infact iv had it just under a year and taken about 6 photos with it :LOL: dont see why i keep it tbh.

then there is the sigma 17-70 f2.8 about £250 (iv bin looking at this lately) no expreiance of it though.

Isn't the G1 a 2x crop factor? Equiv. focal lengths for the canon would be 18-250mm. How about the kit lens + 55-250mm IS?

personally i would look for something like the tamron 17-50 and a canon 55-250IS working to your budget, they are very good from what i have read and should be able to get both for close to the budget.

just to point out though, they say good lenses will improve IQ far more than a body change will.

Any particular reason for swapping from the G1?(just out of curiousity)

Any particular reason for swapping from the G1?

All my friends have Canons so advice will be easier to come by plus there's only 4 lenses available for the G1, two of which are a bit pricey for my hobby wallet.

Isn't the G1 a 2x crop factor?
It is indeed.

Cheers for the advice guys - Trev

same as above
the tamron will give you versitility and a nice portrait 50mm f2.8
there are better zoom lenses than the 55-250 but I've seen some really nice shots from the lens on this very forum, so on a budget it's pretty good
the alternative is to find a 18-250mm like the tamron or similar.
however, it's not something i've tried. as I like to split my lens range up a bit

Value for money choice, I would also go for the 18-55 IS kit lens, plus 55-250 IS. Very good performance, both with IS, and record value. They are also compatible with the lens correction suite in Canon's DPP Raw processing software, which non-Canon lenses are not, making them even better :) (Free upgrade to the latest version of DPP here http://web.canon.jp/imaging/dcp/firm-e/pssx1is/index.html )

Then upgrade to something like 17-55 2.8 IS and 70-300 IS as and when.

Alternatively, look at the 17-85IS lens in place of the 18-55, but might stretch the budget more (y)

personally i would look for something like the tamron 17-50 and a canon 55-250IS working to your budget, they are very good from what i have read and should be able to get both for close to the budget.

just to point out though, they say good lenses will improve IQ far more than a body change will.

Any particular reason for swapping from the G1?(just out of curiousity)

Thats the setup i have and im well pleased with them and after making many mistakes in the past myself the glass can be far more important to upgrade than the body itself .

Back