Canon telephoto lens

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Guys, I am looking at an affordable zoom lens. Got my eyes on the 55-250 IS, what is it like for a beginner? Anything else available in the price range that is worth looking at?

Cheers.

Another vote for the 55-250 IS. Sharp, small, light, cheap and has IS. (y)

70-300IS is better if you've got the money. (Not to be confused with the 75-300, which is not very special at all.)

Both very good lenses from Canon, good value.

I used to have this lens they are excellent.(y)

Cheers guys.

Not willing to spend the extra for the 70-300 as I would only be using the lens about 5 times a year, I will make do with the 55-250.

Anyone seen any good offers for one before I order?

I really should stop reading this kind of thread and knuckle down to learning the basics of "proper" photography with what I've got, rather than constantly thinking how much I would like one of [insert whatever is under discussion]!! :D

I really should stop reading this kind of thread and knuckle down to learning the basics of "proper" photography with what I've got, rather than constantly thinking how much I would like one of [insert whatever is under discussion]!! :D

I'm exactly the same!!!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL::bonk:

I am looking forward to it arriving tomorrow; it should be a nice addition to my Nifty 50 and stock lens.

Got the Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro, but phoned BUYACAMERA (they also have a website), today to confirm stock, they have Canon 55-250 IS's in at £164.99, phone or e-mail card details before 3pm. Friday for Monday delivery............thats what they told me

Lens came through next day as promised, can't fault their service.

I used it down at the Bournemouth airshow and got some good shots. I am happy with it though when it was overcast it left me wanting an L. lol

I have bought from Camerabox before too and found them to be very good.

Phoned 'buyacamera.co.uk' to ask about live stock and order a Canon 55-250 IS over the phone, this was about 3 pm. Monday, lens arrived at 8.15am Tuesday morning £164.99 plus £6.99 p&p

Pleased with it?

I'm looking for a cheapo telephoto lens and have seen the DG version of the
Sigma 70-300 up for sale in classifieds elsewhere. Wondering whether it's worth considering.....

The Sigma was my first lens other than the 18-55IS that came as the 450D kit, I like the Sigma lens as it as given me some good photo's, I only chose it because comments recommending it on the forums, and the price, the only reason I have gone for the Canon 55-250IS is because I always wanted to cover the gap from the 18-55 to 70-300. but I will keep the Sigma

Went up to Oban, Argyll Tuesday night, took my gear along and hoped to spend most of Wednesday (today) trying one against the other, just got back, the weather wasn't fit to get the camera out, someone else may input a more experienced view on the Sigma as I believe quite a few on here have one.

Back