Canon v Nikon Auto Focus Speed

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
No
I am thinking of changing from canon to nikon

I shoot a Canon 40d mainly with a 70-200 F2.8 IS. I am thinking of changing to the Nikon D300 or D3 with a 70-200 F2.8 VR

I went to a dealer today enquiring and handling the Nikons he asked what is my main interest in shooting which mainly is Rallying. I was told better staying with Canon has the auto focus is faster, has its a motor in the lens and not driven by the body ( just checked the nikon site and there lens also uses a motor in the lens) which I think would be the same as Canon usm v Nikon swm

Fair play on the guy for not just saying thanks and talking a wad of cash and said have a look at the 50d. But I think he maybe more Canon driven and behind the times with the Nikon lens (and the lens would still be white:bang:)

so are the lens above on a par in auto focusing speed

look forward to reading your replies

Gary

Yes, some of the lower priced Nikons like the D40 and D60 need lenses with inbuilt motors (their small bodies can't fit them in) the guy obviously wants to sell Canon gear over other brands - that's shopkeeping for you.

Having used both CAF and NAF (although not with a 70-200 IS) I really can't see much of a difference; if you compare cheap lenses from one brand with high-end lenses from another then obviously there will be a massive gap but like-for-like there's little in it for me. My SWM lenses are super-fast but no quicker or slower than the USM lenses I had on my old Canon.

Someone pointed out in another thread (with a tongue in cheek... I think) that Nikon is an optics company and Canon makes photocopiers. It's a truism, although CAF lenses are awesome when you get good ones (like the 70-200mm f/4 and 24-70mm f/2.8), but I'm sure you find exactly the same performance from NAF

I went to a dealer today enquiring and handling the Nikons he asked what is my main interest in shooting which mainly is Rallying. I was told better staying with Canon has the auto focus is faster, has its a motor in the lens and not driven by the body ( just checked the nikon site and there lens also uses a motor in the lens) which I think would be the same as Canon usm v Nikon swm

The new Nikon 51 point AF system is wider regarding as being the market leading AF system. Obviously what lens you put on it will affect the AF but the dealer was talking rubbish about Nikon's not having lenses with built in AF motors.

Also, it's not all about speed. There's no point focusing that much quicker if focus isn't spot on - accruacy is just as if not more important.

I honestly don't think there is much difference between the D3 and the Canon 1D but both are leagues ahead of the 50D. The D300 has a very similar system to the D3 (but apparantly not the same, I have a friend who was unhappy with his D300 performance compared to D3) and so should be significantly better than the 50D.

D300 and 70-200 VR would be a pretty cracking set-up

The new Nikon 51 point AF system is wider regarding as being the market leading AF system. Obviously what lens you put on it will affect the AF but the dealer was talking rubbish about Nikon's not having lenses with built in AF motors.

Also, it's not all about speed. There's no point focusing that much quicker if focus isn't spot on - accruacy is just as if not more important.

I though he was not on the money with the Nikon lens but could have tried to sell a 300 or d3 they were a few of each on the shelf

I understand your point the accuracy of the focus but the speed would be important whislt using for motorsport, but not so whislt taking shoots of wildlife

Gary

I honestly don't think there is much difference between the D3 and the Canon 1D but both are leagues ahead of the 50D.

Quoted for truth!

If you want a Canon system with decent *fast* AF, the 1D family is the only answer.

If you want a Nikon system with decent *fast* AF, the D300, D700 or D3/D3X is your answer.

Back