Capercallie

:clap: Great shots from both of you,lovely and clear and great story as well.

Very well exposed images and composed of a very rare and lonley bird. I am glad you only took images of it from a distant and never disturbered it in its natural habitat....!!

:crying:

MD

Its almost impossible to photograph him at a distance as he comes to you rather than the other way around. You step into those woods and he seeks you out. We gave him respect and would always do so. When he decided he wanted to eat we backed off slowly to allow him to do that and stayed at the edge of the woodland but he would just come back again. We never stayed long as we felt it was getting to busy and the bird was in danger of getting overwhelmed so we did the responsible thing --took our pics and left.:clap:

This is what a Capercallie looks like when its not in display mode. No need for crit as i know its not very good but thought i would show another side of this rare and fascinating bird-

Capercallienormal_zps329bc481.jpg

I remember a similar caper (it had a radio transmitter) about 15 years ago that I photographed. As I got you its location I met a photographer and his"mate " who told me how they had hit the bird with a tripod after is "attacked them". They found this very funny!

After telling them they were a Fcking disgace we chased them up the path swinging my tripod at their heads! They were not laughing then!

:)

" who told me how they had hit the bird with a tripod after is "attacked them". They found this very funny!

After telling them they were a Fcking disgace we chased them up the path swinging my tripod at their heads! They were not laughing then!

:)

(y) Well done

Markyboy1967,
He is crying for sure.... and a great time to get those images. i hear there were three mimi-buses up there a couple of days ago looking for him.... a friendly word of warning for those looking to see or photograph him from the 1st March...... DON'T or you may end up in trouble.
Cheers Gordon.

Markyboy1967,
He is crying for sure.... and a great time to get those images. i hear there were three mimi-buses up there a couple of days ago looking for him.... a friendly word of warning for those looking to see or photograph him from the 1st March...... DON'T or you may end up in trouble.
Cheers Gordon.

Yeah, seems word has gotten out about him...As you say from March its the lekking season and you cant go near this guy...

Wotcha Chaps,

I am the site manager responsible for this bird. How do I usefully engage with your community to try and spread the word that rogue capercaillie need to be left alone all year round? The conservation status of this bird is now at a serious level in Scotland and every visit causes disturbance that has a knock-on effect. Rogue birds are unusual, and most definitely not alone. So every visit risks pushing the quieter breeding birds off-site. We are at the stage where every new chick really does count. 'Arnie' is proving to be especially unusual, especially given his age, but we need him to keep going as long as possible. Constructive thoughts and comments would be most welcomed. Thank you.

Having heard and read about this bird I now think he should be left alone, to many people are now trying to seek him out and some don t care how they get their shot. Mark this is nothing against you I know you care about the welfare of the wildlife, and your shots were brill its just he has become to popular now and I think he deserves some peace as do the other breeding pairs

Cracking shots, Mark.

Having heard and read about this bird I now think he should be left alone, to many people are now trying to seek him out and some don t care how they get their shot. Mark this is nothing against you I know you care about the welfare of the wildlife, and your shots were brill its just he has become to popular now and I think he deserves some peace as do the other breeding pairs
Kaz, yeah you are pretty much correct in that he should have time to himself, he is an older bird and put on a show for so many.

Giles, its good to hear that some sort of management is in place and that someone is taking the birds welfare seriously. I dont know the answer as the Capercallie is on many bird watcher and photographers wish list and the lower the numbers the higher the prize just like nany endangered species worldwide. When i visited i took the longest lens out of us all to keep some distance but wasnt expecting the bird to come as close to others as it did. Maybe having volunteers to keep an eye on things with the bird. Have a few warning signs up in the area airing the concerns. As been mentioned before putting rumours out about Arnie dying in dog attacks isnt the answer, moving him isnt an answer either-- education is paramount i believe. Have a look at what works with other endangered and rare species and what doesnt work. I was shocked when on my visit a few people followed Arnie up a hill whilst he was eating and he needed time to himself- we didnt stay long as we felt we had the pics we wanted and would gain nothing except to stress the bird.no natter what happens in the birds future im sure he will be remembered by many and wish you luck in trying to secure his and others future.

Last edited:
Lovely capture, Mark. You really do need thick trousers for these guys...

Back