CAR PHOTOGRAPHER - NEW TO FORUM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Dean !

I've finally got round to putting together a decent rig, and I've got a shoot with a GT40 next week, so fingers crossed that the suction cups behave....

Tim

:)

Excellent! What suctions cups are you using? I've rigged quite a few oddly constructed cars (VX220 being the flimsiest!) and they've always been fine.

Hi RoadRunner... nice set of images. Would appear that you and I have similar interests... both in subject matter and style and I look forward to seeing more of your work. Think I will just pop over to your website and see!!! :)

:eek: simply jaw dropping pictures :eek:

Are you actually being serious?

Without wanting to sounds over critical ..

Photo1: For this to work the critical area of this photo needing to be sharp is the front of the car.

Photo2: A car parked in the middle of a curcuit doesnt do anything for me I'm afraid

Photo3: Is the pick of the bunch, though it does needs the horizon straightening.

Photos 4 & 5; are just too small to really comment on.

I really dont get what you were trying to do with the last two you posted.

Of course all the above is just my opinion. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Photo1: For this to work the critical area of this photo needing to be sharp is the front of the car.

Photo2: A car parked in the middle of a curcuit doesnt do anything for me I'm afraid

Photo3: Is the pick of the bunch, though it does needs the horizon straightening.

Of course all the above is just my opinion. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

"I really dont get what you were trying to do with the last two you posted"

No, I don't suppose you do........

Goodwood festival of speed is good for snaps too......

Probably!!! Just because it didn't "float your boat" doesn't necessarily mean that they didn't "rock his world"!!! It would be a pretty sad/boring world if we all liked/disliked the same things!!! :)

As this is supposed to be a place for sharing photos and exchanging ideas (as opposed to something more draconian), I think so (just a little bit)... but others who have been here far longer than I have may have different views.

Why??? Is that just because that is how you prefer them to be, or that would be what you would expect??? In my experience, having images like this that move the focus point to the driver as opposed to the front of the vehicle, are just as valid and have had both types published in the motoring press in the past. Although I personally might have tried to take the shot from a slightly lower perspective, I certainly don't have a problem with the point of focus!!! Maybe it is something you should try... just for something different???

And that is fine as well. However, maybe you need to consider who, or what market, this image has been taken for??? To me, it looks like the sort of shot that could be used for a calendar, auction brochure or a book relating to specific model Ferraris... and in that context, I think it is a pretty good image... as it reflects the racing heritage of the vehicle without the need to actually race it. There are lots of owners of such machinery, who aren't prepared to risk their cars on the track, due to their excedingly high value!!!

Certainly a very atmospheric shot... but pick of the bunch??? That's just your opinion!!! :)

Whilst it might have been nicer to see larger versions of each, I think the quality of the images (from a composition/lighting/colour point of view) is still reasonably apparent... but again, if they aren't what you are into... that's still fine as well.

Something different??? To stand out from the crowd, you sometimes need to shoot shots that are dramatically different from what everyone else shoots, especially if you want to impress the art editors of motoring magazines. Although I always try to shoot some different types of shots... I am still amazed at some images that are actually published!!! Personally, I can see what he is doing with both... and whilst I prefer the Galaxie shot, I think they are both interesting images.

Yep... spot on... "Viva la difference!". (y)

Goodwood festival of speed is good for snaps too......

Definitely - I missed the main event this year because of a clash with Classic Le Mans, but got to the Press Preview Day, Here's one of mine from that.....

DUCATI.jpg

"Photo2: A car parked in the middle of a curcuit doesnt do anything for me I'm afraid"

I'm so sorry it didn't appeal to your finely-honed critical eye. It was good enough for Forza magazine...

FORZA.jpg

"Photo2: A car parked in the middle of a curcuit doesnt do anything for me I'm afraid"

I'm so sorry it didn't appeal to your finely-honed critical eye. It was good enough for Forza magazine...

FORZA.jpg

(y)(y)

Well done. I'm sure you know what to make of the nit picking comments on here :D.

We have a young chap on here who is into "detail shots" of cars, do you have any you could show us??

David

:LOL: (y)

(y)(y)

Well done. I'm sure you know what to make of the nit picking comments on here :D.

We have a young chap on here who is into "detail shots" of cars, do you have any you could show us??

David

Absolutely, I have loads - let me know specific cars / models, and I'll dig something out.

To be honest I also have to agree with some of the comments on here.

Would have helped if the pictures had been numbered and not sure you posted them for any critique but I'll give you my view anyway.

#1 Have to agree about the focus point just looks as if the camera has rear focussed a shot thats very easy to take and usually binned, the foremost point of the picture is the front of the car and should be sharper than it is.

#2 Would have liked a shot from about 2 feet to the left with more of track behind the car, as it is doesn't do anything for me.

#3 Best of the bunch, horizon slightly wonky and some detail lost in car as it's dark.

#4 Would have liked more of a wider angle to show more of the desolation of the surroundings, nothing but a snap shot of a car.

#5 Another snap shot but with half the car missing, not keen on the reflections in the paint work including you in the front wing lay on the floor

#6 Again surely the front of the car should be in focus??

#7 Car looks parked up, did you really take that at 1/8000 sec?

#8 Clean and tidy side-on pan, stickers by bottom of windscreen look OOF

#9 & #10 As I previously stated, don't get the last 2 at all, they would definitely seen the delete button.

To be honest I also have to agree with some of the comments on here.

Would have helped if the pictures had been numbered and not sure you posted them for any critique but I'll give you my view anyway.

#1 Have to agree about the focus point just looks as if the camera has rear focussed a shot thats very easy to take and usually binned, the foremost point of the picture is the front of the car and should be sharper than it is.

#2 Would have liked a shot from about 2 feet to the left with more of track behind the car, as it is doesn't do anything for me.

#3 Best of the bunch, horizon slightly wonky and some detail lost in car as it's dark.

#4 Would have liked more of a wider angle to show more of the desolation of the surroundings, nothing but a snap shot of a car.

#5 Another snap shot but with half the car missing, not keen on the reflections in the paint work including you in the front wing lay on the floor

#6 Again surely the front of the car should be in focus??

#7 Car looks parked up, did you really take that at 1/8000 sec?

#8 Clean and tidy side-on pan, stickers by bottom of windscreen look OOF

#9 & #10 As I previously stated, don't get the last 2 at all, they would definitely seen the delete button.

Here's a funny thing - you posted this on another thread on December 12th.....

"I still feel a bit of a newbie around here as only been here for about 6 months and do feel uncomfortable sometimes commenting on other people's pictures, unless I know them. I think the reason behind this uncomfortable feeling is due to having hardly any C&C on my own work, it's as if it's not a done thing."

I notice you don't have any images on your own site, so I'm intrigued to know how you feel qualified to provide such an in-depth analysis of my work. Just a thought.....

I like all the pics I particularly like the last one that people don't get lol

the only one I don't like is the last one of the first batch as not all the car is in.

I think the track shot is probably the best of the bunch actually, particularly when you see it in context. Has a retro feel to it.

Top Class work. I intend to use all of them as inspiration to further my own work.

"I still feel a bit of a newbie around here as only been here for about 6 months and do feel uncomfortable sometimes commenting on other people's pictures, unless I know them. I think the reason behind this uncomfortable feeling is due to having hardly any C&C on my own work, it's as if it's not a done thing."

I notice you don't have any images on your own site, so I'm intrigued to know how you feel qualified to provide such an in-depth analysis of my work. Just a thought.....

Now here's a funnier thing, you're not asking us to critique the pics on your website, you have posted them on here, much like I have in previous threads.

As you managed to search out my other posts you may feel you want to do the same with my threads with pictures on.

I didn't realise now that we could only offer C&C to peoples pictures in return for C&C on our own. That's the way things get really clicky. If you don't want critique don't post pictures. Simple. If you do want critique would you like to put in your first post that you only receive positive critique or a list of people you are willing to receive it from.

Welcome to the forum.

I love the way you have made the inside of the corner on your first image almost as pleasing as the car. I also applaud your courage in being so close.

The third image is full of character and you can almost feel the suntan cream coming to the boil.

The Galaxy and Ferrari shots are not my cup of tea but I certainly will look forward to seeing more of your shots.

Hi Tim

And welcome to the forums (y)

Be sure to keep posting - love your work!

Lee

"I didn't realise now that we could only offer C&C to peoples pictures in return for C&C on our own. That's the way things get really clicky. If you don't want critique don't post pictures. Simple. If you do want critique would you like to put in your first post that you only receive positive critique or a list of people you are willing to receive it from."

The voice of authority has spoken.......thanks for setting us all straight on the rules here.

Every single person is entitled to comment on every other persons work. You do not have to be a good photographer to critique other's work. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on a photo. :)

If you do not want critique on your work, please post your pictures in the 'Fluffy Kittens' sub-forum. Thanks. :)

play nicely ladies and gents

two things to remember
1) if you post in a C+C section then you cant complain if you get C+C (good or bad)
2) arguing about someones opinion is a non-argument. If someone says the photos are jaw dropping then you cant argue with them because thats their opinion. It like arguing with someone about whether Sprouts are nice!

Apologies to those who have evidently been offended by my comments, but what part of 'In my opinion' didnt you understand? Last time I checked I was entitled to an opinion. Next time I'll be careful to ensure I blow smoke up your arse!

Last edited:
Apologies to those who have evidently been offended by my comments, but what part of 'In my opinion' didnt you understand? Last time I checked I was entitled to an opinion. Next time I'll be careful to ensure I blow smoke up your arse!

And which part of 'play nicely' didn't you understand.
This thread is getting silly now and if it doesn't get back on track I'll close it.

Jay... you definitely are entitled to an opinion and I'm sure no one has any problem with that!!! However, the way in which you expressed that opinion - and initially criticising another member's opinion to begin with - is what I personally took exception to and prompted me to respond in the way I did. Hopefully I didn't offend you in doing so, as that was not my intention.

I know I am only new here (although not new to photography) and it is probably not my place to say anything, but its my belief that forums like this are usually set up for everyone's benefit... to meet other people with a common interest and enable people to learn and develop their photographic interests by sharing their images and allowing other people to comment and offer constructive advice, if considered appropriate.

However, everyone also needs to remember that as with music or other art forms, photography has numerous different styles and techniques to suit different artistic objectives and potentential customers and markets. And although some of these different approaches may not be to everyone's liking, it doesn't mean that images produced this way aren't technically competent and appeal to a different audience.

Everyone can learn something from everyone else... but only if we come with an open mind and a willingness to consider and appreciate different things.

I'll step down from the pulpit now!!! ;)

Hey dont worry, you didnt offend me. I'm quite hard skinned, truth benown ... hey to take pictures to my lowly standard you have got to be! :)

Maybe the way I expressed my comments regarding the photos was open to be misconstrued. I felt the comments on the images I 'did get' were constructive as to what I felt they need to be improved. Unfortunately there are too many people who just sit on a forum and type 'awesome shot' at everything they see. I dont, some people dont like that.

As I said in my closing line, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Oh and Badgerbaiter, I was playing nice ... I apologized, you can call the dogs back in now ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back