Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar Electric 135mm f/3.5 – 5th Generation – Elusive 4 Digit Serial Number

That looks a nice clean lens, how old is it? What do the shots turn out like?

That looks a nice clean lens, how old is it? What do the shots turn out like?

Haven't done a single shot with it. I bought it on recommendation of this article:

http://extreme-macro.co.uk/carlzeissjena-135mm/

I plan to mount my JML 20X on the front of it and use it as a tube lens. I will definitely do some more standard shots with it, though, as by all accounts, it should be a fairly stellar performer.

I no longer own it mate, unfortunately. Not sure what version it was tbh. Can't remember it having the silver ring?

CZJ 135mm f3.5
by David Raynham, on Flickr

That's the standard "non-electric" version. The electric had the 3 contacts on the rear and "electric" written on the front. Many thanks for posting! I'm now quite excited to use this outside of the tube lens intended for extreme macro photography. I paid £60 for mine, too (pretty much standard market rate) which seems like a veritable bargain! BTW, the silver ring is nothing more than a light reflection. It's all black, like yours.

Last edited:
What do you mean by a tube lens?

Well, the JML 20x microscope lens cannot be used on it's own with just an adapter, straight onto the camera. Without getting technical, in order for it to work it requires either a filter glass or a lens close behind it for it to produce an image. There are a few ways of doing this. A simple tube lens would be a set of extension tubes with a filter on the end. You then attach the JML 20x to the end of that. Alternatively, you can let an actual lens act as a tube lens, as above. You can also buy infinity corrected tube lenses. This page will help your understanding and should be credited for the diagram below:

http://www.thorlabs.de/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=5834

Infinity-Corrected_Tube_Lens_D1-780.gif

Well, the JML 20x microscope lens cannot be used on it's own with just an adapter, straight onto the camera. Without getting technical, in order for it to work it requires either a filter glass or a lens close behind it for it to produce an image. There are a few ways of doing this. A simple tube lens would be a set of extension tubes with a filter on the end. You then attach the JML 20x to the end of that. Alternatively, you can let an actual lens act as a tube lens, as above. You can also buy infinity corrected tube lenses. This page will help your understanding and should be credited for the diagram below:

http://www.thorlabs.de/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=5834

Infinity-Corrected_Tube_Lens_D1-780.gif
Never come across that before, thanks for the explanation and link.

This looks like an amazing lens. What is the minimum focusing distance?

Sorry, just read the article and they mention 90cm?

Do you have modify it for macro or colser focus distance?

Last edited:
This looks like an amazing lens. What is the minimum focusing distance?

Sorry, just read the article and they mention 90cm?

Do you have modify it for macro or colser focus distance?

Not really. Just an adapter to mount the microscope lens as I'm using it solely as a tube lens for extreme macro.

Not really. Just an adapter to mount the microscope lens as I'm using it solely as a tube lens for extreme macro.

But how do you get it to focus close up?

From the article..: "The minimum focus of the Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f/3.5 is 90cm"

Last edited:
Back