Cassowary

Name
Lance
Edit My Images
No
Was near the zoo and as I have a yearly pass, I decided to drop in for an hour to take a few pics.

As this forum is seen all over the world, some of you may not be aware of this amazing looking bird as it is only native to North Queensland (Australia) and New Guinea. The Cassowary is a large bird up to about 2mt tall, similar in size to an emu, and a little smaller than an ostrich. Usually cassowaries are very shy but when they feel threatened or want to protect their young they can lash out dangerously with their powerful legs and jump and kick with both legs at once. Their three-toed feet have sharp claws; the dagger-like middle claw is 12 cm long.

More info here:

http://www.amazingaustralia.com.au/a.../cassowary.htm

Click on the images to see full 1300 pixel wide.

D700 + 70-200 f2.8 VRII + 2x TCIII, @ 400mm, 1/100sec, f8, ISO1250.

original.jpg

Ostrich.

D700 + 70-200 f2.8 VRII + 2x TCIII, @ 400mm, 1/250sec, f8, ISO560

original.jpg

Crop of above showing how well the 70-200 f2.8 VRII + 2x TCIII is together.:

original.jpg

Meerkat.

D700 + 70-200 f2.8 VRII + 2x TCIII, @ 400mm, 1/250sec, f6.3, ISO640

original.jpg

Drawn in by the eyes on each of these shots smashin captures

Very sharp and crisp. Excellent.

#4 has to be the fav. Great picture with a fantastic "cute" factor :)

you made it look "Simples!"

Love the colours in the Cassowary - normally muted as they're always in the shade.

Great shots. I love the expression on the meerkat.

Cassowaries are beautiful looking birds but I was reading recently that they're highly aggressive and have been known to disembowel people! I wouldn't like to be the one who has to clean its cage.

Very sharp and crisp. Excellent.

#4 has to be the fav. Great picture with a fantastic "cute" factor :)

Thank you very much for your nice comments, Jon. :)

you made it look "Simples!"

Love the colours in the Cassowary - normally muted as they're always in the shade.

Thank you very much, Andy. :)

Great shots. I love the expression on the meerkat.

Thank you very much, David. :)

Cassowaries are beautiful looking birds but I was reading recently that they're highly aggressive and have been known to disembowel people! I wouldn't like to be the one who has to clean its cage.

Yes, very dangerous birds, especially if they have young around. A 12cm central claw doesn't help!

Back