Critique Castle Howard

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a few days away in the van at Castle Howard.

It was pretty much overcast every time I went out to shoot the house from over the lake so decided that a conversion with silver fx pro with a high structure preset for a quick edit

CastleHoward by jakeblu, on Flickr

Went back later the next day because it seemed like there was some colour in the sky but still flat

DSCF4985.jpg by jakeblu, on Flickr

Still the sky was a bit better on the other side of the lake

DSCF4994.jpg by jakeblu, on Flickr

All comments and critique welcome

It's a shame about the light - the composition of 1 and 2 with golden hour light would be great. You know you need to return

If you compose 2 again. Lose a lot of sky and go 2:1 aspect ratio
Thanks Steve. I had crap light early and late so was really disappointed. Off up to Whitby next week may just stop off for a night and try again

It's a shame about the light - the composition of 1 and 2 with golden hour light would be great. You know you need to return

If you compose 2 again. Lose a lot of sky and go 2:1 aspect ratio

I'd agree with this.....but!!!.....If the sky were epic I'd say lose the reeds at the bottom and include more sky :)
The castles lovely. Haven't been there since I was a kid.
I assume it still has the fantastic central approach?

I'd agree with this.....but!!!.....If the sky were epic I'd say lose the reeds at the bottom and include more sky :)

I wouldn't disagree but a reflection usually works best if its fills the frame and the horizon is higher. However, if the water isn't still, I'd go with what you said. Cannae beat a reflection. Best optical effect you see, IMHO. But I am a proper sucker for them.

Thanks for the comments, I've been struggling to get people interested in the thread. That's the effect I was trying for in the first shot, I thought the sky had potential with a sympathetic mono conversion to make the most of it. Would have preferred a bit more of the sky but couldn't without losing the reflection
Yeah its a great approach, through the two narrow arches up to the obelisk. Its really good inside too, lots to see. (I have a few shots from the inside on my flickr) I know a lot was destroyed by fire in 1940 but they have managed to restore to its former glory

Last edited:
I know a lot was destroyed by fire in 1940 but they have managed to restore to its former glory

Jeez, I know I haven't been since I was at school....but it was post 1940!!! :eek: :LOL:

224 views and only two posters, I was hoping for a bit more feedback on these

Back