Castle Reflections

Lovely scene, lovely subtle colours, but personally I'd crop off the entire bottom quarter of the photo.

You have achieved great depth of field, and I know well how tempting it is to show the whole magnificent scene off, so I am glad that you perhaps agree that the composition needs adjusting. I never stick slavishly to the so-called golden rule, but I do think that the balance in this composition gives rise to aesthetically awkward competition as between foreground, background, and central horizon focus.

Personally I'd be tempted to loose the top quarter to even up the compo as the bottom is so much more interesting than the sky! But I really like the reflections of the sky in the water.

I agree with Duncan.
It's a beautiful scene, but it makes an even better square crop.

You have achieved great depth of field, and I know well how tempting it is to show the whole magnificent scene off, so I am glad that you perhaps agree that the composition needs adjusting. I never stick slavishly to the so-called golden rule, but I do think that the balance in this composition gives rise to aesthetically awkward competition as between foreground, background, and central horizon focus.
Personally I'd be tempted to loose the top quarter to even up the compo as the bottom is so much more interesting than the sky! But I really like the reflections of the sky in the water.
I agree with Duncan.
It's a beautiful scene, but it makes an even better square crop.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm definitely going to try that square crop Ruth.

I've just looked at it larger on flickr and it works for me having seen it properly, nice one.

Looks good to me.

I think that the sand leads the eye upwards to the curved sea channel which then moves the eye to the middle left to the larger sea channel which then filters the eye right to the castle and upwards. I like the frame as it is. A small crop might lose some of the balance that I think is already present.

Back