B&W Cemaes Bay, Anglesey

bay1
by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

this is a small image to pp and i may not have made so good a job...and i did add some sharpening
slightly less darkness...which may be reduced by using the levels in contrast settings
composition fine but a lack of some sharpness
question
hand held...? if so what f no...
if not and used a tripod..what f no
it appears the dof isnt enough and a micro bit of shake?
cheers
geof

Last edited:
Thanks Geoff, really constructive stuff. The shot was hand held, can't remember the f no but it should be there on the EXIF. I'll take the tripod along next time!

Best regards,

Cheesy

Thanks Geoff, really constructive stuff. The shot was hand held, can't remember the f no but it should be there on the EXIF. I'll take the tripod along next time!

Best regards,

Cheesy

the tripod is your friend when you are choosing to use small f nos...as speed will go down...and a great way to view steady compositions
cheers
geof

I think it might be a case of less is more with this one, there's lots going on both in the foreground and distance so my eye darts around the scene and can't really find a main subject. I do like how you've used the chain, it's a great feature and adds nice depth and interest.

As for the B&W I'm not sure that the scene has enough contrast to produce a great mono shot as there's lots of very similar tones, the main contrast being the sky and seating on the harbour wall. I love Cemaes, it's a great spot, personally I've found it a tricky place to get a decent photo of though and yours is a better attempt than I've managed so far

Simon

I like the use of the chain as a leading line but feel the large bit of white seating distract from the image.

I wonder if a slight movement to the left so the seating is removed and the left hand side of the picture is made by the quayside could improve the shot.

I like the use of the chain as a leading line but feel the large bit of white seating distract from the image.

I wonder if a slight movement to the left so the seating is removed and the left hand side of the picture is made by the quayside could improve the shot.

just needs a bit of cloning ...but overall its the flatness which detract imho
cheers
geof

Agree with Simon, I too see it as a lot going on, having said that it's not unpleasant by any means. Not sure about the b&w though.
Regards Chris

Cheers everyone, some great points and advice here so I'll try to rectify some of the issues next time I get the opportunity.

Best regards,

Cheesy

I can see that, never been that good at cloning so its not first in my mind. ;)
c and c
crop and clone...they are useful tools to start with

Back