Central Hall, Natural History Museum

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
No
Whilst this isn't an original shot or a something different, it is a photograph that I have wanted to take for some time and managed this earlier in the year.

The light was beautiful and the detail in the architecture is truly outstanding, something that I tried to capture but no photo can truly do it justice.
Whilst a shot with people in it would be more 'authentic' of the building in use, I wanted to capture the building on its own and so, I have pushed my PP skills to the limit to remove people from the shot.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oSSLXU]
Natural History Museum, London by Buck_68, on Flickr[/URL]

Last edited:
A spectacular shot from the NHM! I visited the place last year and managed to get the shot from this position but was lucky enough to get no on in the frame in the source material. You have done a great job of capturing this place. When I took my shot from the railings I used a photographic bean bag to keep the camera rock steady still, did you use something like that or did you just held the camera manually tight to the railings? Overall great work. :)

Never seen this vista before.So it looks fab to me :)

Gza

Last edited:
A spectacular shot from the NHM! I visited the place last year and managed to get the shot from this position but was lucky enough to get no on in the frame in the source material. You have done a great job of capturing this place. When I took my shot from the railings I used a photographic bean bag to keep the camera rock steady still, did you use something like that or did you just held the camera manually tight to the railings? Overall great work. :)

That's very kind of you Michael. I didn't have a bean bag so folded my coat up and rested it on the end of the banister rail - not ideal but allowed me to get the shot!

Know it's a bit of a cliche shot, but well done with the pp.

Thanks Mark. (y)

Never scene theimage before.So it looks fab to me :)

Gza

Thanks Gaz (y)

Fantastic! Those rails really drag you into the image.

This is splendid, and a fascinating subject. Are those iron supports on masonry, or was this built after steel became widely available? I have a friend in New York who does this kind of thing with extremely long exposures to effectively remove people from the shot. I wonder if that wouldn't be easier than photoshopping.

This is splendid, and a fascinating subject. Are those iron supports on masonry, or was this built after steel became widely available? I have a friend in New York who does this kind of thing with extremely long exposures to effectively remove people from the shot. I wonder if that wouldn't be easier than photoshopping.

Thank you!

Yes the supports are iron/steel and have very ornate inlays in them - the detail in the metal and stone work is beautiful.

Using a 10 stop or similar is a good way of 'losing' people but I would need a tripod for this and unfortunately they won't allow them in the museum so had to do with the editing!

Back