CF Cards

Edit My Images
Yes
I have recently upgraded to a 5D MKII and I didn't realise two things, 1st just how much they eat into memory cards and 2nd when you shoot HD video on a cheapo card, the data transfer speed is soo slow and it it quits filming while it buffers!.

So in light of this I have just purchased a Sandisk 8GB Extreme III. This goes against my "Never use one big card for your shots" but buying 2 x 4Gb was going to be a lot more expensive. I realise I could use the lower RAW setting but I think that is a bit like buying a Ferrari and not using 5th gear.

Do you think I did the right thing?

Where did you get the 8gig card from? Last time I bought a few SD cards 2x4gig cards was around the same price as an 8gig one. Maybe slightly more expensive (a quid or so) but nothing major.

George.

I have 5 of the Sandisk Extreme III 8G cards....so yes, you did the right thing !

Your image is stored on these cards, why skimmed on it?

Weird. Just did a few checks and CF cards are definately cheaper when you buy one 8gig instead of 2x4gig. SD cards are around the same price for both. Bizarre!

I think with a 5DmkII you'll be glad you bought the 8gig cards though as you'll be chewing through them like there's no tomorrow. I know it's nicer to have 2x4gig ones as it lowers the loss in the event of a card catastrophe but you gotta do what you gotta do...

George.

I use 16Gb cards, the amount of shots I haven't missed while swapping cards.....

:D

i have 5 x 4gb cards but most likely going to upgrade to a couple of 8gb ones. the file sizes do seem pretty big!

i noticed my mac running slower with cs4 so switched back to cs3 until i get some more memory, should sort it out a bit.

It means, I wish to all things good and great that I get a Mac soon.......I think I would not have anything like the issues I have with this heap of poop Dell decided was fit to call a PC. Things just seem to work better on a Mac.

However I really don't want to descend into a PC v Mac argument.

ha ha, was only winding you up, each has their uses, simples as that!

although mac's sure look prettier :love:

I have a whole bunch of my own Sandisk 8Gb Extreme IV cards that I use in the D3 bodies as well as some older 'issued' ProSpec 4Gb cards from Calumet - both are UDMA and I've had no dramas with either brand...
Before we started getting the ProSpec cards about 18 months ago, we used Sandisk Extreme III cards and never had any problems.

With 16Gb cards on the market now, I'd be quite surprised if you had any problems with smaller-capacity cards from the majors...as long as they're genuine, of course...buy from a reputable dealer...it's not something you want to be skimping on...

I have had 1 Sandisk Extreme III 8G failed on me. I was in Hong Kong earlier in the ear and in this japanese restaurant. I was taking pics and then I just got an error, not Error 99, but the camera just can't read the card. So i used my back up 4G card and carried on as normal.

When i got back to England I got the pictures out of the card from the recovery cd it comes with. The problem came when the card refused to be re-formated. I tried it in my PC, my 5D2, and my 30D, it just will not work. Returned it to amazon for a new one, luckily no card failed last weekend !

Can I ask please roughly how many RAW files you can fit on an 8GB CF using the 5D2?

Debating whether to buy 8GB OR 16GB.

Thank you very much!! :)

Back