Chalkhills

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Some Chalkhill blues from the Isle of Portland (Broadcroft Quarry) at the weekend.

In portrait
MG_6940.jpg

Front on
MG_6914.jpg

One I am not overly sure is a Chalkhill.
MG_6936.jpg

F5.6 Pose on a flower
MG_6954.jpg

And a cheat - F11 image...:whistle::whistle::whistle:
MG_6974-F11-Blurred.jpg

Lovely shots Chris. Number 1 and 4 I think for me.

Do you ever take any "landscapes" of the areas where you find these? I think it would be nice to show the environment where these guys hang out to accompany the series. I want to start doing more of that (if I ever remember to swap lenses), and the Isle of Portland sounds like it would have some fantastic scenery.

Can get some landscapes with 100mm lol.... or how about just your camera on your phone.

Like Tim I'm trying to get an environment shot to show where I found things also to show size too.

Great set and lovely butterfly/s.

No phone. I'm now not sure what you mean by a 'landscape' ??

Think Tim meant an environment shot.... show the surrounds that bug or butterfly was found in for reference for us lame ooo's to find similar environments around where we live :)

Thanks Bryn - I will attempt to remember to that. Good idea.:)

Also glad nobodys spotted my cheat with PS from the above. Shows I think it works. Unless it is that obvious noone mentioned.:confused:

Now I'm intrigued... have you added background to help composition?

On the last shot, I blurred the background using the PS new field blur filter to blur the annoying grass from the original image.

Here it is without the filter.

MG_6974-copy.jpg

I dont find either image displeasing .... will try it on some of my moth images as the grass is short and very close to subject in your case i hardly noticed any difference lol

Works well! No need for those expensive F2.8 lenses anymore :)

It was this post on Paul Bertner's blog that made me think we should do more of this environmental type shots. Then your thread title of "Chalkhills" made me wonder what type of environment that looks like. Does it have typical plant species, or grasses that are easily identifiable? That kind of thing. Anyway, thought it might be worth mentioning.

Thanks guys. It was my first try out with the filter, having just updated and looked at what was new. Did a tut on my blog with it. Mainly so I can remember what i did. lol!

As for Chalkhills - yep they live on exposed chalkhills. I see them roosting on grass stems, thistles and the plant that the Bee I posted up was on.

Will try to add some info on future trips.

Beautiful Chris
I don't see chalkhill blues very often living in North Wales so really nice to see these
that radial blur looks good
how did you mask around the butterfly?
the edges of the wings on butterflies are quite intricate I would have thought that it was very difficult to get it looking right but you've managed it well

Beautiful Chris
I don't see chalkhill blues very often living in North Wales so really nice to see these
that radial blur looks good
how did you mask around the butterfly?
the edges of the wings on butterflies are quite intricate I would have thought that it was very difficult to get it looking right but you've managed it well

I used a new selection tool called focus select in Photoshop. That worked really quite well on the wings.

Put the notes I made on my blog - http://www.macro-photo.co.uk/2014/photoshop-2014-focus-blur-tutorial/

Thanks Chris that's brilliant :)
I've got cc but only use a tiny part of what it can do

Just had a read through the tutorial on your blog thanks for doing that
It looks like a really good tool I've tried in the past to improve the background on zoo and macro shots but it never looked right
clear.png

Back