Cheap flashgun for Canon?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I'm fairly new to photography and I want to buy a flashgun to go with my Canon 450D. However, I've been surprised by the expense of the Speedlite guns etc. Are there any cheapo ones just so I can see if I use it enough to justify a really good one?

what kinda of budget do you have, I picked up a 430ex for £120 2nd hand in mint condition. There are other brands that work if you not bothered about canon branding, I agree alot of canon accessories are pricey such flashes and grips etc but you do get quality build and good resale value thrown in when its time to upgrade.

Jessops do an own brand cheap one I think. Plus you have the other speedlites e.g. 220ex. For me buying a good second hand Canon branded piece of kit means I can ususally resell it for not a lot less than what I bought it.

Jessops have on eon offer at about £80 at the moment, and I am sure that someone will be along shortly to tell you that you will be able to use it "off camera" in your strobist setup, so you won;t ever want to sell it....

( I only know what I have read, and don't have time to get to grips with flash lighting too much at the moment)

I've just ordered a VERY cheap unbranded one (£16 inc postage!) off Ebay to see if I'll use one much. If so I'll get a decent one.

if you can afford it go for the nissin 620 cracking flashgun and sub 100 squid

Dave

i have a nissin di622, its a nice flash, but getting it to remote trigger other than optically is difficult. so i bought an 430ex of Kerso for £180, which I will use as my master in my strobist setup, and the nissin can be a remote slave.

I have a 350D and found that I had to put a piece of sellotape over all but one of the contacts on the flash shoe when using a flashgun from Jessops, otherwise the flash was very weak.

I assumed that it was because it was meant to be used with the proper Canon flashgun.

I bought the sunpak pf30x (i think from currys) for £40 and a ebay oc-e3 lead for £10 it works great! Well happy! I can do manual setting on the flash but it does have bounce and + - 2 stops of exposure...

Back