Cheltenham Architecture

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Despite having lived in the surrounding area all of my naturals, I moved into the town of Cheltenham about a year ago. I have made it a project to photograph the town's buildings and to 'show them in a good light' (bear in mind my main competitors seem to be Google Street view and local estate agents!). The biggest obstacle are cars. They're unavoidable but they do litter the place up. I like to imagine how they must have been at the time with horses and carriages clattering by.

1. Queen's Hotel

Cheltenham: Queen's Hotel by all you need is light, on Flickr

2. Royal Crescent

Cheltenham: Royal Crescent by all you need is light, on Flickr

3. Municipal Offices

Cheltenham: Municipal offices by all you need is light, on Flickr

4. Montpellier Walk 1

Cheltenham: Montpellier Walk by all you need is light, on Flickr

5. Montpellier Walk 2

Cheltenham: Montpellier Walk, Early Morning by all you need is light, on Flickr

6. Victorian Villa

Cheltenham: 16, Albert Rd. by all you need is light, on Flickr

7. Lansdown Terrace

Cheltenham - Lansdown Terrace 2 by all you need is light, on Flickr

8. St Paul's Parade

Cheltenham: St Paul's Parade by all you need is light, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Love this set. They capture the feeling of the town. I'd probably half an ev more exposure in each and it's a shame you couldn't have the town all it yourself. The cars etc distract what is a really crisp clean set

2,3,6,8 being my favourites

Love this set. They capture the feeling of the town. I'd probably half an ev more exposure in each and it's a shame you couldn't have the town all it yourself. The cars etc distract what is a really crisp clean set

2,3,6,8 being my favourites
Cheers Steve.

Great shots,Have you any of the fountain near the town hall I think it is? Always full of people when ever I have tried to grab a shot!

Thanks Andy. I've struggled to take a shot of Neptune's fountain I really like, it is quite near the Town Hall but just round the corner in the Promenade. It's fed by the river Chelt, a small stream really that flows underneath.

Cheltenham: Neptune's fountain by all you need is light, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice set, well done :)

Is it really fed by a river? Never knew that! I'm by no means any good with my camera but after seeing your pic of the fountain I'm going to have a go next time I go chelt! Will take cones with me and block it off from people getting in the shot haha!

You've done a good job of getting a minimal amount of cars in these shots:)
I never knew the fountain was fed from a river either. Just thought it was a normal fountain with a pump they turned on and off.

Amazing work!

Living in Cheltenham sometimes I know your pain about people and cars.

What processing was done on these images?
Hi Matt, thanks for your comment. I try to keep processing to a minimum just trying to keep the verticals level and using LR5 to straighten if required, I tend to underexpose by 1/2 a stop and adjust highlights/shadows (can't really use an nd grad with buildings) in LR. Apart from that just sharpening and adding clarity and minor cropping if required, just a bit of tinkering with them really!

Hi Matt, thanks for your comment. I try to keep processing to a minimum just trying to keep the verticals level and using LR5 to straighten if required, I tend to underexpose by 1/2 a stop and adjust highlights/shadows (can't really use an nd grad with buildings) in LR. Apart from that just sharpening and adding clarity and minor cropping if required, just a bit of tinkering with them really!

Cheers for the tips. I'll try to us that next time I'm walking around Cheltenham area!!

All the best

Back