Critique Chester Zoo B&W

Sorry to be completly negative, but there is just far too much background,
not enough animal.
But what there is, is clear and sharp (y)

not enough animal.

I disagree somewhat as I quite like seeing the environment that the animals are in - I do think the composition is a little off however.

The orangutan should be further to the left so you can see the area she is looking into, it would give the viewer more connection with her knowing what it is that has made her so interested.

I like the vertical lines in number 2, but even just a slight crop/zoom to bring the Gibbon closer/higher in the frame IMO would improve the image.

The rhino image makes me sad, which is a good thing as it helps to reinforce the plight of the black rhinos in the wild. There are some nice textures in the foreground it is just a shame there isn't anything else to give interest - though it does help to make a nice lead with the bottom of the walls almost like an arrow pointing to the rhinos themselves.

These are all my opinion of course, if the wider angle was due to kit limitation then you've done a good job. What you do have though are some very nice black and white images that have a lovely smooth contrast and good textures. Overall I like them.

not enough animal.
Well, I guess this one's not going to float your boat...

Meerkat by ajday, on Flickr

I wanted to capture the animals in their environment. Whilst I realise that zoos, on the whole, are committed to wildlife conservation, I sometimes wonder at the cost. The orangutan and gibbon pens, though doubtlessly roomy, were reminiscent of a drab council estate playground. The gibbon sat motionless, it's gaze transfixed.

The rhino paddocks were similarly depressing. The placement of the straw seemed to suggest that the rhinos preferred to sleep adjacent to the interconnecting door, such that they were close to the rhinos in the other paddock. So near yet so far apart.

The solitary meerkat, as a friend on Flickr so eloquently put it, looks like its in its own version of "The Truman Show".

I quite like the photos, but having been to Chester Zoo I don't think they are a true reflection of the place

think i have to agree with chris`s first comment. to much bckground, spend time looking for the subject.
but IJMO

I do like these. They portray a certain sadness which you have captured well. You haven't tried to hide the fact that they are captive animals, and have indeed used it to your advantage. I think they only work as a set though, not stand alone images.
Chester Zoo looks like it's gone downhill. I spent many a cold winters day there in the mid eighties with my Pentax K1000.

Chester Zoo looks like it's gone downhill.
Like I said, I dont think they're a true reflection of the place, but I'm only basing that on a few visits in the last 12 months.

I understand what you are trying to show in the shots and are good shots but do need most of the background cropping out in my opinion
They are not an accurate representation of chester zoo though
The Rhinos have access to very large outside paddocks, did you see the fields adjacent to the inside pen in your photo?
They just happened to be in when you visited they like to sleep inside where its warm
The orangs and gibbon also have an outside area
I do agree with you that the orang enclosure does look horrible but apparently if they plant trees or vegetation the orangs destroy it the zoo staff have tried to make their enclosure as interesting as possible for them
The meerkats also can go outside there are cat flaps to an outside area
chester zoo has an excellent record on conservation the animals must be happy as they have had three baby black rhinos as well as a whole list of other animals:)

Last edited:
I just don't like B?W nature shot of animals, does nothing for me, if you meant them to look depressing the you certainly succeeded.
I've heard good things of Chester Zoo and seen some cracking pictures of the animals looking far happier

I do like these. They portray a certain sadness which you have captured well. You haven't tried to hide the fact that they are captive animals, and have indeed used it to your advantage. I think they only work as a set though, not stand alone images.
Chester Zoo looks like it's gone downhill. I spent many a cold winters day there in the mid eighties with my Pentax K1000.
It's definately worth visiting now:)

It's definately worth visiting now:)
Yes, it's been a long time, around 13 years ago was the last time I was up there. It always was one of the best zoos I've visited, with Colchester running a close second.

Yes, it's been a long time, around 13 years ago was the last time I was up there. It always was one of the best zoos I've visited, with Colchester running a close second.
It's changed a lot since then there're always building new enclosures or improving the old ones
The cheetah enclosure in particular is excellent

Just seen these and I like them as they're different. Most of the zoo shots I see, and take, try to make it look as if the animals are wild and free yet these make a point of their captivity (at least to me) and seem tinged with a little sadness.

Only point I would make is that Chester Zoo really is excellent as zoos go and looks a far happier place in colour!

Back