• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MWHCVT

In Memoriam
Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
Just fun I decided to sit down and re-process my star trail in a style inspired by the work of Lincoln Harrison to show that the colour he showed in an Australian sky are also in the northerm hemisphere sky (y)

Chesterton Windmill under a Colourful Universe by mwhcvt, on Flickr

I'd love to hear the thoughts of the good people of TP (y)

If your interested this is the orginal version of the star trail that I published back at the begining of November

307/366 (672) (Explored) by mwhcvt, on Flickr

And just fun I'll add a poll to this to end in 1 week

Matt
MWHCVT

I really like the colourful one Matt... although judging by the poll i'm on my own with that :D

I like the colourful one...but, I don't like the colour it turned out in the foreground...

I recall the original was shot under near full moon conditions but from what I know of Lincoln's work he shoots near the opposite end of the lunar cycle. I think there's too much colour change gone on in the edit so although the colours are similar (to Lincoln's) they're achieved in a different way. Try a similar edit on some of your darker star trails and see if they turn out any different...

Nick_1981 said:
I really like the colourful one Matt... although judging by the poll i'm on my own with that :D

It was more a fun exercise from my PoV (y)

Solo man said:
I like the colourful one...but, I don't like the colour it turned out in the foreground...

huffy said:
:plus1:

Thats why I went for the second one.

I agree chaps could and should have fixed that ;)

AndWhyNot said:
I recall the original was shot under near full moon conditions but from what I know of Lincoln's work he shoots near the opposite end of the lunar cycle. I think there's too much colour change gone on in the edit so although the colours are similar (to Lincoln's) they're achieved in a different way. Try a similar edit on some of your darker star trails and see if they turn out any different...

I'll have a play a little later (y) truth be know I only did it for fun and to make a point in that other thread, I think I prefer to be a little less surreal but I'll dig out the raws from a dark night ST tomorrow (y)

I kinda like them both! It's a shame the windmill vanes/blades or whatever they're called seem to get lost in the more colourful one though.

#2 for me Matt...superb shot..and love the 'glow' from wherever! BTW would like to know the technical details please.
JohnyT

Hi John for the technical side of how star trails were achieved then please give my guide a read it's linking in my signature, if I remember the basic settings were f/4 - ISO2000 - 30s exposure

#2 for me too Matt

Thanks Dave

I kinda like them both! It's a shame the windmill vanes/blades or whatever they're called seem to get lost in the more colourful one though.

Sails would be the word your looking for (y) and agree they really do get lost in the colourful version

Hi Matt, I'm interested in going back to one of my images and doing this. I have a couple of questions for you though.

I upped the saturation on one of my images but it didn't seem to change the colour of stars. Do I need to try a different setting or does it become more obvious the more images you stitch together?

I also want to try vortex star trails from static images.

Just fun I decided to sit down and re-process my star trail in a style inspired by the work of Lincoln Harrison to show that the colour he showed in an Australian sky are also in the northerm hemisphere sky (y)

Chesterton Windmill under a Colourful Universe
by mwhcvt, on Flickr

I'd love to hear the thoughts of the good people of TP (y)

If your interested this is the orginal version of the star trail that I published back at the begining of November

307/366 (672) (Explored)
by mwhcvt, on Flickr

And just fun I'll add a poll to this to end in 1 week

Matt
MWHCVT

Hi Ian, talking some seriously grey matter scratching to try and remember exactly what I did here, but I seem to remember pushing both saturation but also vibrancy right up....

As to the vortexing of the stars, I've never attempted it personally so my best advice would be to check YouTube for a editing walk through guide on how to achieve the look..

Back