Chinook air to air

Edit My Images
Yes
2 weeks ago I was able to take part in a short flight with 27 Sqn from RAF Odiham while they were on a short Det to Valley.

1. Flying with 27Sqn by StampedeT2, on Flickr

2. Flying with 27Sqn by StampedeT2, on Flickr

3. Flying with 27Sqn by StampedeT2, on Flickr

4. Flying with 27Sqn by StampedeT2, on Flickr

5. 27 Sqn Chinook at RAF Valley (1 of 1)-4 by StampedeT2, on Flickr

6. 27 Sqn Chinook at RAF Valley (1 of 1)-6 by StampedeT2, on Flickr

7. 27 Sqn Chinook at RAF Valley (1 of 1)-14 by StampedeT2, on Flickr

8. 27 Sqn Chinook at RAF Valley (1 of 1)-22 by StampedeT2, on Flickr

Regards,

Cheesy

Super set, thanks for sharing!

As always, your unique (here, at least) access gets you great shots! If I may offer a little criticism though, IMO your shutter speed is a little too fast to give enough rotor blur. However, the vibrations at the camera's end could be the restriction that necessitates the higher shutter speed (IIRC you shoot with a Canon - I know some Nikon VR lenses have an extra setting to reduce platform vibration, do Canons have the same feature?)

Thanks for sharing your shots.

A flying bus!
Good pics as always :)

"Excellent" set of images Paul, I like them all very much. Thanks for showing them.(y)

George.

Cheers for the positive comments everyone. It was a real pleasure to fly with the Det - my first Chinook sortie!

As always, your unique (here, at least) access gets you great shots! If I may offer a little criticism though, IMO your shutter speed is a little too fast to give enough rotor blur. However, the vibrations at the camera's end could be the restriction that necessitates the higher shutter speed (IIRC you shoot with a Canon - I know some Nikon VR lenses have an extra setting to reduce platform vibration, do Canons have the same feature?)

Thanks for sharing your shots.

Thanks for the constructive critique Nod. You're absolutely right that I had to raise the shutter speed due to the vibration of the aircraft. The Chinook rotor head rotates at a really low RMP - approx 225RPM. Given that each rotor head has 3 blades I think I'd need a shutter speed of about 1/80 to get a full prop disk. Given that these images were shot with my 70-200mm I didn't want to drop below 1/200 or 1/250. My L series lenses, can't compensate for ownship vibration (to the best of my knowledge).

Many thanks for the words,

Regards,

Cheesy

Back