Christening for mate's kid................

Lynton

awkward customer
Name
Lynton (yes really!)
Edit My Images
No
Evening,

Have noticed on TP lately, a plethora of threads along the lines of "This is my first paid wedding/commercial/gig/charity/family portrait shoot/event" and the usual 101 questions of how much should I charge, what equipment do i need , what do i need to capture , do i include the disc etc etc.... which had me mainly chuckling along (as never having been paid for photography, other than the odd print I have sold) thinking to myself............... "Surely if you're good enough to get paid........ you must have an idea of what to use / what to charge / what is required etc," but hey-ho give people the benefit of the doubt, everyone has to start somewhere....and lo-and behold the phone rang. Was my "mate" Mike. Well when I say mate, think of more as someone who I know, (who is the other half of someone who, my other half (dearly beloved Wife - in case she reads this) works with..........

Went something along these lines.

"Erm, you have a big camera don't you."
"I guess so yes, if you mean DSLR."
"Yeah that's the one. Well you know it's Niamh's christening at the end of October........."

(no prizes for guessing where this one is heading, but a prize if someone can explain how the name Niamh is pronounced "Neave")

"um yes, you invited us both, if I remember"
"did we? Oh yes, of erm, course we erm did............well the photographer we booked is erm double booked that day..." (ha ha.. you got the quote through the post this morning!!!)
"oh"
"and we erm wondered if you could do it for us. how much will you charge because we don't have much money at the moment."

(Would that be because you just forked out the best part of £500 on some crap b&W Pics of "neave" just after she was born, (and trust me they are crap!) or that the only people not invited to this Christening are the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester?)

"well, possibly, depending on what you wanted etc.... but it's not really my thing........"
"Oh thanks mate. Thanks for agreeing to do it......."
"erm i haven't"
"no? I thought you said you would."
"no. Lets have a chat about it sometime soon."

Have no qualms about doing it, lighting, whats required etc, and to be honest I probably won't charge him the earth, as it looks like I am going to the sodding thing anyway............(but enough to keep me in beers for a few weeks - mainly for being so bloody cheeky...........)

Here's the dilemma though - I understand the need for second bodies etc, in case of main kit failure (unlikely to happen, but belt and braces..........)

trouble is though my second (old) body has just gone out on a reasonable long term loan to a friend who wants his first DSLR with a view to selling it on to him. Given the chances of needing a second body are remote I am thinking of this option........ as an emergency backup given i can get about 7MP out of it and seems to do the job.

Thoughts please?

Borrow my 7D for the day?

That's perfect, mate. In fact, do the whole shoot with it. ;)

Your best bet is to rent a load of kit (pref. stuff you've never set eyes on before inc. camera bodies) the morning of the event then come on here asking everyone what settings to use...

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me...

Tell them you'll do it and just rock n roll with your camera. Chances are if they have invited enough people then you'll not be the only one with a DSLR.

Seriously, how often have people had kit fail on them? Yes I know it does happen, but how often? I can understand that a pro tog using there kit every single day for prolonged periods will suffer a rate of failure, but percentage wise? If a pro tog does 200 jobs a year and have kit failure twice, then it's a 2% chance of failure.

Naturally different environments have different issues, Arkady on the front line in the heat and dust and rounds pinging about is a little different to a gentle christening in October in Norfolk, the biggest issue is probably the camera being splashed if you get to near the font.

Back