Cicadas - nymph, tenereal, adults

Name
kurt
Edit My Images
No
Cicada nymph. Sorry for clipping the feet. Merged from two MPE65 shots. Hadn't bought my 60mm F2 yet at that time.
Cicada nymph IMG_7633 merged copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Emerging cicada
Emerging cicada IMG_1649 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

photobombed by an unidentified flying insect!
Emerging cicada IMG_1660 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Tenereal
Emerging cicada IMG_1664 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Adult
Cicada IMG_4756 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Cicada IMG_4762 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Cicada IMG_9262 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Cicada fallen prey to a huntsman spider, high up on a tree. You might need to spend some time to find them.
Huntsman spider with cicada IMG_3728 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

As always a great set Kurt, this year being my 1st year at doing Macro I thought i would get a few Cicada to shoot but me thinks something to do with the very mild winter we had here, result was 50-60% less than normal so I didnt get the chance.
anyway back to your set, the emergence is a great thing to see and capture, as always you have got everything in shot and with 1st class clarity, I think I speak for most on here with that.
For me, Tenereal and the 1st Adult shots are the best of the bunch.
Thanks again Kurt. :)

Last edited:
As usual Kurt another superb set of images I like them all very much indeed, but for me #3, #4, & #5, are just "Amazing".(y)

George.

As always a great set Kurt, this year being my 1st year at doing Macro I thought i would get a few Cicada to shoot but me thinks something to do with the very mild winter we had here, result was 50-60% less than normal so I didnt get the chance.
anyway back to your set, the emergence is a great thing to see and capture, as always you have got everything in shot and with 1st class clarity, I think I speak for most on here with that.
For me, Tenereal and the 1st Adult shots are the best of the bunch.
Thanks again Kurt. :)

Thanks, Graham. I'm lucky. They emerge here all year long!

As usual Kurt another superb set of images I like them all very much indeed, but for me #3, #4, & #5, are just "Amazing".(y)

George.

Thank you, George.

Sublime set as per usual Kurt, I'm so jealous of all the bugs you get.

Thanks, Bryn. They can be hard to find too at times.

The lighting is superb on this. Are they fake big teeth to scare off attackers?.

Thanks, Top Cat. I am actually not sure what those gas-mask like thingy is for :D

Very cool! Love the emerging ones! I hope to be able to get a dragonfly doing something similar at some point. They have these large cicada's in the south of Spain where I usually go a couple of times a year, so I'll keep a look out. They are much easier to hear than they are to find!

Very cool! Love the emerging ones! I hope to be able to get a dragonfly doing something similar at some point. They have these large cicada's in the south of Spain where I usually go a couple of times a year, so I'll keep a look out. They are much easier to hear than they are to find!

Thanks, Timmy. I don't get to see emerging cicada too often either. However, there was a spot where I found many of them emerging at the same time! I have found emering dragons and damsels too at that place. Anyway, good luck! They are a miracle to witness and so fascinating to photograph!

Back