Critique City of Bokeh

I think it definitely needs something to focus on..

In my view, Bokeh is only well worked when it is background / foreground to the main subject..

Saying that though, This would be the perfect background whatever the subject, very sharp for stunning bokeh, if that makes sense!

First shot makes me go crosseyed...

Maybe I'm tired

I like that (with the car) - just a pity about the railings though maybe you could p/shop them out.
Not sure about the background by itself mind, I think it needs some point of interest.

Last edited:
Nice work Michael. To add to Duncan's comment: I think it makes sense with the railings there but you definitely need some interaction between the foreground and background:
Bring back the light reflections on the water between the railings to at least a small degree;
Even out the tones- WB is different;
The line on the left at the bottom of the bokeh is not only too harsh, it is actually cutting some of the circles.

I think if you make those changes you'll "sell" the look to me a lot more.

Hope that helps.

Jeff.

Probably :)

definitely better with the car in there, though I do like the bokeh look of #1 on its own, I think in a coffee shop or somewhere like that, people can just look at the image but at the same time, feel like they have relaxed eyes. Hard to explain. Would work in that situation, I think, anyway. :)

I like that (with the car) - just a pity about the railings though maybe you could p/shop them out.
Not sure about the background by itself mind, I think it needs some point of interest.

+1. Lose the railing the car shot is PERFECT.

Back