Classifieds Section

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm taking a wild guess here but I have checked in the classifieds and it appears to be empty. Is that restricted until you make a certain number of posts on here?

I'm a relatively newcomer to photography (literally about two months in) and I'm loving it but find I'm highly restricted at the same time as I want to experiment with a lot of things. My intention is to get some bits as cheaply as possible in order to determine if it's something that might interest me. I've mad a few mistakes already and hoping to curb that by either trying out first or getting a cheaper/used/older version.

I currently shoot all my pictures in Manual as I thought it's the best way to learn.

I'm open to advice/criticism on this.

I'm taking a wild guess here but I have checked in the classifieds and it appears to be empty. Is that restricted until you make a certain number of posts on here?

I'm a relatively newcomer to photography (literally about two months in) and I'm loving it but find I'm highly restricted at the same time as I want to experiment with a lot of things. My intention is to get some bits as cheaply as possible in order to determine if it's something that might interest me. I've mad a few mistakes already and hoping to curb that by either trying out first or getting a cheaper/used/older version.

I currently shoot all my pictures in Manual as I thought it's the best way to learn.

I'm open to advice/criticism on this.

Yes, it is locked until you have spent a bit of time on here (60 days and 25 posts). However the time goes very quickly. I would hold off buying anything until you've got the hang of what you've got though, spend the next 60 days taking photos of everything and playing with the settings. With regards to using manual, yes it does give you complete control, however a large proportion of photographers, even pro's tend to use the Shutter Priority (Tv or S) or Aperture Priority (Av or A) settings, and letting the camera do some of the work. Also You Tube is your friend, there are loads of videos to help guide through all the jargon, read up on the Exposure Triangle, this will help understand the settings.

Finally use this forum, there is a lot of very knowledgable and helpful people, ask questions, post photos for feedback we're all helpful people :D 1 word of warning though, there are people on here who are very blunt and to the point, don't take critique personally it is all there to help you. Enjoy and I look forward to seeing your pics :D

Classifieds as Keith has said - you'll have to wait.

With regards to everything else you've said, there is a Talk Basics section which will be able to answer any questions you have so ask some questions there.

One thing I will say is that shooting manual for the sake of it is pointless, what you need to do is understand the exposure triangle and photographic conditions and chose the most appropriate exposure mode for that situation.

Also a good way to get help is to look in the meeting forum and come along to one of the days out where there will be other more experienced people to help you. Which part of the country are you in?

Thanks for the comments. I guessed as much as it's pretty much common in forums.

I've spent a lengthy time on YouTube watching videos and I've already learnt a lot to take pretty decent pictures. My current challenge now is working with flash which is probably what I plan on focusing on in future and for that, I'd need a flash gun.

I have a Nikon D5300 with 18-55mm and a 50mm prime lens.

Also have access to a Canon 70D (which is my brothers) who has years of experience in photography though I've chosen to try and learn things myself. We had a friendly competition on the set for the new top gear series. (Somehow, they actually let us take our cameras in).

As to shooting in manual mode, I think the main thing that affects is the time it takes to tweak the settings but what I've done to counter that is taking loads of pictures in different environments and light conditions and later on check out what settings I used and memorise them as a template. (I have a pretty decent memory for numbers)

Here are a few of the shots from the night. As always, I welcome criticism.

View attachment 29838

View attachment 29840

View attachment 29839

View attachment 29841

View attachment 29842

PS I'm not that skilled in editing pics in Photoshop or light room so please bear it in mind.

Nikon D5300 | Nikon 18-55MM AF-S | Nikon 50MM AF 1.8D

Also a good way to get help is to look in the meeting forum and come along to one of the days out where there will be other more experienced people to help you. Which part of the country are you in?

Thanks Andy. I'm in London, Croydon to be exact and I'd be very much interested in attending any groups around town.

You will need to post images in the appropriate forum for feed back as they may not be seen by the people you want, this one is for the classified. You would be better using https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/photos-motorsport.47/

The meets I run tend to be in Wales as that's where I live and so probably a bit far for a day out although people do travel further so up to you. One I have got coming up in a few months that might interest you as it's over four days is this one https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/so-mach-loop-again-this-year.574857/ if you fancy low flying jets and landscape images.

Last edited:
To be honest, I am not sure it would fair to critique these photos, you have chosen about the toughest way for a beginner to get photos. A long experienced pro with top end kit would have to work hard to get great photos from contrast lit cars in a studio surrounded by 100 other people all trying to do the same thing. They are not particularly good, but that is not to be harsh to your skills, just lack of experience in very difficult circumstances, that's all. :)

So instead, I will just reiterate what others have said, learn to use the kit you have, by all means in manual, but no need for everything to work that way. Plus, learning what the settings are for and they work together is a far better way to start rather then trying to memorise settings you used previously, especially as no two given scenarios will ever be the same anyway. if you look at the top of the forum, there is a Tutorials link, with loads of great tutorials about getting started, settings, how they work together, etc and more advanced ones for when you are starting to master those, so do have a look and a read.

You will need to post images in the appropriate for feed back as they may not be seen by the people you want, this one is for the classified. You would be better using https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/photos-motorsport.47/

The meets I run tend to be in Wales as that's were I live and so probably a bit far for a day out although people do travel further so up to you. One I have got coming up in a few months that might interest you as it's over four days is this one https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/so-mach-loop-again-this-year.574857/ if you fancy low flying jets and landscape images.

I don't mind so much and still yet to get my bearings as to where to go for certain posts. But thanks, I'll definitely check it out.

As to the meets, I'm sure I'll plan out a weekend trip sometime in the summer as I will like to try my hands on every bit of photography and who knows, I might find I'm good at something I had no idea of.

To be honest, I am not sure it would fair to critique these photos, you have chosen about the toughest way for a beginner to get photos. A long experienced pro with top end kit would have to work hard to get great photos from contrast lit cars in a studio surrounded by 100 other people all trying to do the same thing. They are not particularly good, but that is not to be harsh to your skills, just lack of experience in very difficult circumstances, that's all. :)

So instead, I will just reiterate what others have said, learn to use the kit you have, by all means in manual, but no need for everything to work that way. Plus, learning what the settings are for and they work together is a far better way to start rather then trying to memorise settings you used previously, especially as no two given scenarios will ever be the same anyway. if you look at the top of the forum, there is a Tutorials link, with loads of great tutorials about getting started, settings, how they work together, etc and more advanced ones for when you are starting to master those, so do have a look and a read.

I totally agree with what you're saying. It was extremely difficult trying to get a good position to take a shot and obviously having ppl in the shot also ruined it. The reason I posted the pics was to demonstrate me using manual mode in a very variable lighting environment and trying to compensate for it all.

As to the settings, I'm pretty sure I know what 85% of them do, only problem I have is remembering to use them or knowing what conditions that will demand it. Hence me spending hours on YouTube. I know it's not something I will grasp over-night and it's all about practice of which I'm getting plenty of but finding interesting things to shoot especially in the cold weather hasn't worked too well for me. Top gear was a rare opportunity and I'm thinking of hitting the car museum to gain some more experience.

Once I figured out how relative photography is to eyes, my understanding of how light works in photography took a huge spike especially as my eyes are light sensitive.

Back