Cleaned the car....

Edit My Images
Yes
...so had to go and shoot some photos

IEtkHcc.jpg

MZesFZt.jpg

cxPXsmN.jpg

SqaaTjr.jpg

Clean the car, take it out in the snow and ice (and the salt). Personally, I watched the snooker on TV :)

Last time I tried cleaning my car in these conditions the water froze on the car :(

Is that the super quick GR Circuit?

Lol I think an hour later and it would have ben similar. I use the car a lot and it realllllly couldn't wait any longer for a wash :eek:

Thank you :)

The one and only. I have my winter wheels on it currently which is why it looks a bit different

It was a flip of the coin between that and my I20 N last autumn.
Looking back, the Toyota may have been a better option.:headbang:

Ah really? I’ve heard great things about the i20n though. I doubt they’re comparable cars but at the same time, they’ll both be fun in their own way.

More shots here
The i20N is a track day car.
It is not really useable everyday. I found that out when trying to drive it at night in the rain. The headlamp beam angle is so low you can only see one car length in front.
Plus it's really noisy in the cabin. It has a sound generator coupled to the bulkhead which creates an awful drone at motorway speed.

In truth I got rid of it two weeks ago.

The i20N is a track day car.
It is not really useable everyday. I found that out when trying to drive it at night in the rain. The headlamp beam angle is so low you can only see one car length in front.
Plus it's really noisy in the cabin. It has a sound generator coupled to the bulkhead which creates an awful drone at motorway speed.

In truth I got rid of it two weeks ago.
Surprised at that. I can’t imagine it ever being suited to track. Hatchbacks should always be at their best on a b-road imo.

That’s where the Yaris shines, although I don’t understand anyone that buys these thinking it’s a track car, when it’s a homologation special based off a rally car platform. It’s the quickest thing I’ve ever driven across the Peak District, but I doubt it’s much good on track without a lot of work.

Marketing and accountants always seem to ruin a cool car idea these days.

Last edited:
Surprised at that. I can’t imagine it ever being suited to track. Hatchbacks should always be at their best on a b-road imo.

That’s where the Yaris shines, although I don’t understand anyone that buys these thinking it’s a track car, when it’s a homologation special based off a rally car platform. It’s the quickest thing I’ve ever driven across the Peak District, but I doubt it’s much good on track without a lot of work.

Marketing and accountants always seem to ruin a cool car idea these days.
Don't get me wrong, the car looks cool and goes round corners like it's on rails but............
Rock hard suspension, lots of road noise, really heavy steering, creaks and rattles all over.
Plus the throttle control is very poor, it's more like an on/off switch.

It's worth bearing in mind I am old.

Don't get me wrong, the car looks cool and goes round corners like it's on rails but............
Rock hard suspension, lots of road noise, really heavy steering, creaks and rattles all over.
Plus the throttle control is very poor, it's more like an on/off switch.

It's worth bearing in mind I am old.
Lol I don’t think age is too much of a thing. If you’re a car person, you’re a car person.

Sounds like the usual adage of “let’s make the suspension hard so people think it’s sporty” and a lack of strengthening the chassis. To be fair I’m guessing it’s reasonably priced but it’ll be no fiesta ST

Thanks, yeah Japanese steel and road salt don’t mix well. I feel like I’ll keep this car forever, so I just want to make sure it lasts.

I don't think it's the steel per se, but the lack of undersealing etc. My Lexus at 5yrs old would give you Tetnus just looking at the underside - but there was literally no wax/underseal on the bottom. Even my present Kia has wax on the bottom and I topped it up with a dose of waxoil.

A lot of European cars hide a lot of corrosion behind "plastic protection and undertrays" but the exposed stuff is undersealed better.

Lol I don’t think age is too much of a thing. If you’re a car person, you’re a car person.

Sounds like the usual adage of “let’s make the suspension hard so people think it’s sporty” and a lack of strengthening the chassis. To be fair I’m guessing it’s reasonably priced but it’ll be no fiesta ST
I think I'm a car person. My current Vitara is my 5th brand new car in less than 1 year.

The chassis was strengthened substantially after research at the Nürburgring.
Regarding ST vs I20N, there is nothing in it on average and the I20n is quicker off the mark.
As you can tell, I'm no fan of the i20N since ownership but it's more than just something an 18 year old modder has tinkered with.

I'll have another look at the Golf R when I've had some research time.

I think I'm a car person. My current Vitara is my 5th brand new car in less than 1 year.

The chassis was strengthened substantially after research at the Nürburgring.
Regarding ST vs I20N, there is nothing in it on average and the I20n is quicker off the mark.
As you can tell, I'm no fan of the i20N since ownership but it's more than just something an 18 year old modder has tinkered with.

I'll have another look at the Golf R when I've had some research time.

Would an I30n do the job? Honda Civic Type R's are terrifc and indeed the Yaris GR4 looks a stupendous car. All painless to own also.

A new Golf R with all the touch screens wouldn't be my first choice - capable cars as they are but the screens are an annoyance.

Would an I30n do the job? Honda Civic Type R's are terrifc and indeed the Yaris GR4 looks a stupendous car. All painless to own also.

A new Golf R with all the touch screens wouldn't be my first choice - capable cars as they are but the screens are an annoyance.
I would have liked the I30N or better still the Kona N but....... I was trying to combine fun, everyday driving and fuel economy in a failed attempt to find the perfect car.
The I30n has active suspension and better noise damping but is a shed load more cash and does not return much to the gallon.
The civic type R, as you rightly say, is terrific but I couldn't live with the styling (I am close to pension age).
The Yaris has a cult following and is reasonably priced for the sheer performance, but it's not practical for things like shopping runs and passengers, plus it sucks fuel.

I may go old school of course and buy an EVO X.

I would have liked the I30N or better still the Kona N but....... I was trying to combine fun, everyday driving and fuel economy in a failed attempt to find the perfect car.
The I30n has active suspension and better noise damping but is a shed load more cash and does not return much to the gallon.
The civic type R, as you rightly say, is terrific but I couldn't live with the styling (I am close to pension age).
The Yaris has a cult following and is reasonably priced for the sheer performance, but it's not practical for things like shopping runs and passengers, plus it sucks fuel.

I may go old school of course and buy an EVO X.

If you think an i30n doesn't do much to the Gallon wait to your sample an EVO X. Great cars, but juicy.

You'll know this more than anyone - but the perfect car doesn't exisit and probably never will. It's a shame Toyota won't bring us a a full phat Corolla GR. I'd probably break my golden rule of never to use finance just to have that car.

Back