Close up showjumping

Edit My Images
Yes
Just wanted to share a few from last nights showjumping as the sun went down, its a nice place to photograph with some good separation between subject and background giving me some lovely bokeh - not to everyones taste i know but something a bit different to the norm, all shot at f4

5939891897_57a7b35c18_z.jpg

5940444076_22128ab984_z.jpg

5940442474_5922a1ce8f_z.jpg

5940441368_f7fb048251_z.jpg

5940440808_fb23928ce8_z.jpg

5940440204_2dfdfd06b8_z.jpg

Perfect focus, awesome action pics well done. I love all of them!(y)

These are brilliant, I'm aiming to do this sort of thing too. What lens did you use? Love the determination in the last one!

Great Pictures, i love number 6

Thanks, they are meant to be portraits of competitors more than anything else and the competitors loved them

Anna, all shot with Canon 70-200mm f2.8L, my most used lens :)

Last edited:
Not my genre at all but just had to congratulate you the colours and image detail are fantastic, great work.

Natalie_B said:
Thanks, they are meant to be portraits of competitors more than anything else and the competitors loved them

Anna, all shot with Canon 70-200mm f2.8L, my most used lens :)

Major lenvy!!! (lens envy :)) I think they are so good and agree about them being a bit different. They don't need the jumps IMO (and I do have a horse so know what I would buy)

hhhmmm maybe not where you shoot neil but i have indeed sold a number of head shots at British Showjumping level, admittedly a lot of BS riders have more than one ride and dont have treasured lifelong family friends so the photos they go for are more about the horse, but this wasnt about BS as at the end of the day unaffiliated riders buy more than affiliated riders anyway !

Anyway, my point of posting was that these were something different from the norm, i.e. not the standard money shots that i take day in day out and have done for over 3 years. I already know what shots sell at different events ;)

I like them all with the weakest being No1 and the strongest No8

no offence but the BSJA lot wouldnt buy many of them in my experience.

There were eight of these 'close up' shots taken and all sold.

BSJA

hhhmmm maybe not where you shoot neil but i have indeed sold a number of head shots at British Showjumping level, admittedly a lot of BS riders have more than one ride and dont have treasured lifelong family friends so the photos they go for are more about the horse, but this wasnt about BS as at the end of the day unaffiliated riders buy more than affiliated riders anyway !

Anyway, my point of posting was that these were something different from the norm, i.e. not the standard money shots that i take day in day out and have done for over 3 years. I already know what shots sell at different events ;)

There were eight of these 'close up' shots taken and all sold.

BSJA

fair enough, might just have been the stuck up bunch we shot :LOL:

I quite like #1:p They are nice shots and I love the last with the girls look of pure determination! Fantastic!

Personally I'd prefer to see the jump but I do like what you have done(y)

Everyone has different tastes, I know I wouldnt buy a close up of me jumping as I pull the most awful faces:LOL:

Back