Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Couple of shots I took earlier this morning of a key

F/5.6
1/125
ISO 200

I desaturated everything but left the key in 'colour'.
Key 1 by DaelPix, on Flickr

f8
1/100
ISO 100
Key 2 by DaelPix, on Flickr

Due the shininess of the key in #1 think you could have used a CPL but detail is very good.

Did you use any attachment to get this close or have you cropped? (Tubes etc)

CPL ?

No I only cropped them.

It was taken on the window sill with a white sheet under the key.

I dropped the highlights down to zero which is what I do with all my photos. It would have been worse if I left the highlights where they were,

I have a polariser for the lens, I'll see what I can do.

I don't think the highlights are bad here. It would likely be better to reduce them in camera rather than having to do it in post, but I don't think you've got a bad result at all. The key is shiny so I would expect to see highlights.

The problem with using a circular polariser is you will significantly reduce light hitting the sensor (something you want to specifically avoid with macro). Furthermore the polariser is dependent on directional light. In most cases you want to achieve soft, diffuse light (i.e non-directional) so the two aren't really compatible. I did see some theoretical designs for a diffuser that gave out directional light, specifically to work with a CPL in macro situations, but whether or not it worked, or even saw the light of day, I have no idea...

I prefer the first over the second as the light hits the subject better and makes it pop more.

Yes I like the first one more than the second. I tried using a polariser, but I didn't like them.

Back