Collared Dove

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Its only my second day out taking bird shots, so i've got a very limited knowledge of bird species.

A quick google search and it looks to me like a 'Ringneck Dove'....Correct :shrug:

C&C Welcome.

best viewed large
5605645267_996270c2d9_b.jpg

Last edited:
You are correct, although the species is more commonly referred to as Collared Dove.

You are correct, although the species is more commonly referred to as Collared Dove.

Thanks 'CT' (y). Really need to build up my knowledge of birds, if this sort of photography is something i'm going to pursue more of.

Is there any good 'bird' guides available that anyone can recommend. I use a 'Collins' book for my insect macro photography and noticed that 'Collins' do a bird guide.....Anyone used/have this??

An excellent book with good photographs and detaild information, also recommended by CT, is called Bird, The ultimate illustrated guide to the birds of Britain and Europe. By Peter Hayman & Rob Hume, published by Mitchell Beazley. ISBN 978 1 84533 338 6.
It was available through Amazon, if they are still listing it I dont know.
Its not a small field book but useful to have on your shelf.

Trev4 said:
An excellent book with good photographs and detaild information, also recommended by CT, is called Bird, The ultimate illustrated guide to the birds of Britain and Europe. By Peter Hayman & Rob Hume, published by Mitchell Beazley. ISBN 978 1 84533 338 6.
It was available through Amazon, if they are still listing it I dont know.
Its not a small field book but useful to have on your shelf.

Thanks Trev, much appreciated.

'Bird' is a great book as Trev says and seems to be still available...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/1845333381/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

It's a big book, so not something you'd want to cart around. I have smaller bird books but to be honest I never carry them in the field, if I see something I'm not sure of I tend to look it up at home.

Your other option of course is that you can now get bird guides compatible with many mobile phones, so that may be a good choice for you.

EDIT

I forgot to mention that if you buy 'Bird' it comes with a full CD version of the book which can be loaded onto an iPhone.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation and also the link 'CT'. (y)

Just bought one :)

I'm in the same boat, got a free iPhone app.... Garden Birds...really handy.

I'm on Android :eek: Need to check out the 'marketplace' to see if there's anything in there.

Yep - there is - Birds UK - 59p. :D

It's just 50 of the most common British birds but it's OK for someone just getting into birds -good pics for ID and good bits of info. I've got it on my desire HD. No doubt something more comprehensive will be along for Android in due course.

I'm really lucky, as my wife is very good at IDing birds. Taught me a lot. I now know the difference between a magpie and a tree. I do find trees easier to photograph though

Back