Colleague portrait

I really like the second and third, Beth, but the first does nothing for me. The engagement isn't there, his thumbs look awkward - like he's hugging himself, which always seems like an anxiety thing to me- and the light isn't falling quite right on him.

I really like the second and third, Beth, but the first does nothing for me. The engagement isn't there, his thumbs look awkward - like he's hugging himself, which always seems like an anxiety thing to me- and the light isn't falling quite right on him.

Cheers Dean. I'd have to agree with you on that point - it's not right, it certainly could have been better. I think I was concentrating more on trying to get the gobo right (which isn't all that great anyway) and stopped paying attention to the subject. But I am really happy with the second & third. I think I need to go back to the drawing board :)

Hi Beth.

Lovely work. The colour image works best for me.

The only thing I think could be improved would be the nose shadow. Being a portrait of a guy, I guess it is not so much of an issue, but I think it would take the image from an A, to A+ :)

Ooooo - one last tiny thing and probably just me, but the watch tends to take my focus away from the subject. I appreciate the watch is a personal item, but I might be tempted to desaturate that strap a little.

Keep posting - love your work :)

Cheers Dean. I'd have to agree with you on that point - it's not right, it certainly could have been better. I think I was concentrating more on trying to get the gobo right (which isn't all that great anyway) and stopped paying attention to the subject. But I am really happy with the second & third. I think I need to go back to the drawing board :)
I can barely concentrate on one thing at a time so I get this. It is a trap that we can fall into though - focusing so much on the technical side that we forget the subject.

Second ones the pick for me Beth, ticks all the boxes. What modifier did you use for these if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks Kris.

The second ones were lit with an 80cm Octa, with grids, camera left. A wee little bit of fill from a large skylite to the right. Second left had texture added in post. :)

Thanks Beth. Similar to my little setup. My gripe with my 100cm rotalux is the lack of grid - well they are available but at stupid money. Might serve me to buy a cheapo option as in tight spaces I normally get too much fall off on the background. So limited at home though with no movement, makes experimenting difficult.

Thanks Beth. Similar to my little setup. My gripe with my 100cm rotalux is the lack of grid - well they are available but at stupid money. Might serve me to buy a cheapo option as in tight spaces I normally get too much fall off on the background. So limited at home though with no movement, makes experimenting difficult.

I'm a lounge shooter myself, so also work with a limited space, albeit it's a good size lounge (large enough for most of my studio needs). I normally try to shoot with grids when I can as I can keep the light where I want it to be, and start adding in extra where I need it. If I can't keep my subjects still (if the double sided sticky tape can't hold the kids down [KIDDING, I use velcro ;)]) I have to resort to taking the grids off so I've got the best chances of lighting my subject.

If you can get a set, do it. @minnnt got himself some grids recently and was pretty pleased with how much of a difference they made. :)

I think I might just do that Beth, thanks. I have a large gridded bezzel (120x30) softbox which I don't use as prefer the ease of the rotalux. Elinchrom are a bit limited with their grids for octo boxes unless money is no object.

I love the tonality, especially in the first one.
I am not so keen on the granular look of the background in the coloured one.

Back