Colosseum, Rome at Night

Edit My Images
Yes
From a recent weekend in Rome. I took shots from various points around the Colosseum (trying to avoid the street lighting) but this one turned out to be the best I think. Hope you like it.

reflection1.jpg

It's a bit too dark for me, but a longer exposure would have blown out the bright areas. Difficult one to shoot that. I think this would have been better shot in the blue hour, and not quite as tightly cropped.

Thanks for the comments about it being a bit too dark. I have this one that I took using a longer exposure. Do you think it is better?

reflection1a.jpg

Also, when is blue hour?

As for any more photos from Rome, I have a few:

Roman Forum
reflection2.jpg

Arch of Constantine
reflection93a.jpg

St. Peter's
reflection92.jpg

Thanks for the comments about it being a bit too dark. I have this one that I took using a longer exposure. Do you think it is better?

That is better, can see a lot more of it. It looks a but purple to me, have a look at your white balance.

Also, when is blue hour?

Blue hour is after sunset, when the sky turns a lovely blue colour, gradually getting darker until the sky is black. It's also known as twilight.

Thanks Jake.

I'll have a look at the white balance.

I think that if my wife hadn't taken so long deciding where to eat, we might have made it down to the Colosseum in time for "blue hour" ;)

Thanks Paul. I took it from the top deck of the tour bus as we waited at the traffic lights. It's just a pity that the sun wasn't immediately behind the dome rather than a little to the right of it but I'm pleased with the outcome of the shot nonetheless.

No, I didn't have time to go into St. Peter's. Not on this occasion anyway - I did go in around 10 years ago.

I enjoyed the photos on your Flickr page - particularly the Pantheon (I didn't succeed in getting a decent view of this).

Back