Compact camera alongside slr??

Name
Rach
Edit My Images
No
Do any of you own a compact camera as well as your slr body/lenses?

Am wondering whether a compact would be good to have when I don't want to take all my kit out...

Do you get good use out of your compact or still revert to slr??

I've been through more compacts that I will admit to over the years - always looking for a small, light, discrete camera to have with me when a DSLR isn't possible. Everything I tried fell short until I picked up a Canon G9... sure it's not the smallest but it handles very well and as a Canon user the controls seem very logical. At low ISOs the image quality is stunning, as you push it up noise becomes and issue, I rarely go above ISO200. I find that for snap when out with my family it's a great camera, also got a decent macro facility.
I have since tried a Ricoh GX200 which is also very good, it's much smaller than the G9 and has a wider, faster lens - a very good pocket camera but the IQ isn't as good as the G9.

here are a couple of shots for my G9

rubbish_0442.jpg

sharpener_0368.jpg

sweets_0347.jpg

Although it doesn't get used anywhere near as much as the SLR, I do have a compact (35mm) for occasions where I wouldn't normally take all my gear - a party, for example. I'm of the opinion it's handy to carry a camera around, and prepare for the unexpected.

I'm one of the growing crowd that swears by the panasonic LX cameras. I have the LX2 and love it to bits and the LX3 seems to be a real step forward in IQ and low light shooting.

I actually use this little beastie far more than any of the "real" cameras when I'm not working. I went on a trip to the southwest USA last month and didn't bother taking anything else at all. Loved the freedom and the creativity.

I have a Fuji F31 which I carry with me all the time - work, shopping, friends, everywhere. It even goes to bed with me in case I wake up to a burning house or something and want to take a few quick snaps before and after escaping.

I always take the DSLR if I want a guaranteed quality photo, but I have an Olympus X-855 which I carry everywhere else. I also have an Olympus bridge camera, but this isn't getting many outings since I bought the compact.

I have an old Panasonic TZ comact with a 28-280mm equivalent zoom. Works very well for travel though high ISO isn't great.

If I was buying again I'd get another TZ (a little better high ISO on the new ones) or, for significantly better high ISO, a Panasonic LX.

Another option if you don't need compact but just a fair bit smaller would be a Panasonic G1 - they're pretty small and the 2x crop factor makes the lenses small.

Hmmm... all Panasonic.

Back