Compact or Bridge with a decent Zoom

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I've been having a chat with my daughter and although she likes her SLR I asked how it could be better - her answer was getting closer and something to make the lens easier - worth bearing in mind she's six but does like her camera and loves being out with me taking pics.

I've a Lumix TZ40 that I use for family snaps on outings and it seem the x20 is almost close enough :)

My question is though, as tech has moved along is there an even better choice out there for her?
It would need a min of x20 zoom, hopefully be pretty snappy and the IQ can't suck - thankfully unlike me she's not prone to pixel peeping.
I'm sure a bridge would be fine for her too as she's used to something a bit bigger.

Anyway what would you suggest if I were to get her her own - of xcourse in the short term I'll just lend her the Lumix.

Ta.

20x zoom is only a measure of the difference between the widest and longest ends of the zoom, three different 20x zoom cameras could all have a different reach towards distant subjects. You need to pay attention to the actual focal length, allowing for the crop factor.

Have you got a budget in mind?

Good point about the zoom - I forget that, but in compacts isn't is usually roughly the same?

Budget wise, just somewhere round the £200 mark (after looking about a bit, originally I'd thought about £100!), I had considered getting her a 55-250 lens but that would have less reach and would also be a lens for her to swap and while I'm confident with her using the SLR I'm less so about her swapping and dropping.

Last edited:
Back