Copy.com 20GB+ free online storage / photo backup

Edit My Images
Yes
Just signed up to copy.com and thought I'd share.

It seems to be a pretty decent online storage provider, similar to DropBox but with more free storage, this is great for photo backup.

It's quick to upload and download, together with some great application for Windows, OSX, Linux plus mobile apps for Android, iPhone etc.

Usually you get 15GB when signing up,
**Mod Edit**
No referal links thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
20GB is nothing though. That's 400 D800 RAW files.

Useful for image hosting, but not enough to be a realistic alternative to local hard drive storage. Still.. free is free :)

20GB is nothing though. That's 400 D800 RAW files.

Useful for image hosting, but not enough to be a realistic alternative to local hard drive storage. Still.. free is free :)
Agree with the above regarding RAW files, but could be useful for storing the edited jpegs, then you at least have something if/when a hard drive unexpectedly fails.
To think that 10-12 years ago 20 Gig was probably a reasonably-sized hard drive. How things have moved on.

I've got 70GB now via Copy.com It's pretty good. I still prefer Dropbox though and have built that up too via various means.

But to be frank for offline backups I'd suggest either paying for Crashplan or doing what I've done and have an agreement with a friend to backup to his using Crashplan Free and vice versa

Copy.com is good because it offers more free space than some cloud providers yet also has synchronising clients, including mobile, that many providers don't have.

You can also easily expand your free space with referrals at the moment. In this case both the referrer and the referred get a 5Gb free bonus when the link is used. Even though forum rules here prevent sharing the referral link, it would be beneficial for TP users to share these bonuses so we all benefit. I have a copy.com account and would gladly help others get a 5Gb bonus, where I too get the same bonus when my link is used. I'm not supposed to post the link here though.

Last edited:
To think that 10-12 years ago 20 Gig was probably a reasonably-sized hard drive

and the rest..first PC I ever had running applications had a hard drive of just 1 gig ..

My first computer was a BBC Micro with 32KB of memory and storage to a cassette tape. I upgraded it by adding a floppy drive, which I think was DS DD which IIRC allowed 720KB of storage. First PC I ever used ran off floppies... I think the company paid well over a grand for one with a 20MB hard drive. This was in the mid 80's.

Last edited:
Right!
I started on a mainframe, the size of this room! And all of us had to share 1 byte! You may laugh. But 1 byte was a lot back then. And you can do quite a lot with 1 byte if you know what you are doing. We stored everything on punch cards and I remember when we got our first tape punch people said " What do you want punched tape for?" Cards are good enough! As long as you don't drop a pack and get the order mixed up they're fine." And dont get me started on USB memory sticks! My first USB stick was the size of a golf bag! And back then SD cards were as big as a tea tray. But they could store a lot of pictures on them because digital cameras only had 1 pixel. Don't laugh, you can do a lot with one pixel.

Last edited:
yes I remember those days... mine was made of cardboard with moving parts.. you could lose a finger just shutting down :(

Back