Couple from today

Cool shots Paul, you do keep some strange critters at your place :eek:
I like the drain fly, its very different looking. (y)

Cool shots Paul, you do keep some strange critters at your place :eek:
I like the drain fly, its very different looking. (y)

Thanks Graham - sadly we don't any mantis in NW England - so we are all square on that front, lol... :LOL:

The drain fly is also known as a moth fly and they inhabit smelly areas (old food compost and drains where waste food and drink can get to are ideal, hence their name).

Paul.

The drain fly is also known as a moth fly and they inhabit smelly areas...

Paul.
Geez, I must remember to check me pants more often....pmsl :D:mooning:

Terrific shot of the aphid Paul. Did you use something extra on the 100L, tubes and/or an achromat perhaps? And did you crop much? (The reason I'm so interested in the technicals is that with the 70D and Sigma 105 macro I have a fairly similar setup and I have yet to work out how best to deploy the 105.)

They are both cropped to roughly half the size of the actual size, and I had 3 extension tubes on the camera, hand held off-camera flash in a softbox Nick.

Paul.

Two very good shots Paul, with good composition, spot on exposure, and lovely detail. I know it's mainly down to luck but I also like the dark backgrounds very much.(y)

George.

Two very good shots Paul, with good composition, spot on exposure, and lovely detail. I know it's mainly down to luck but I also like the dark backgrounds very much.(y)

George.

Not luck really George - more the law of physics. In the days of film, you would call it reciprocity failure. There may be a digital term for it, but if there is, someone will have to tell us! It's where the light falls off too quickly to be able to register what is in the scene, and is caused in the main by flash usage. But it does help in composition, I will agree.

Paul.

Back